The Anthem

greg775

Do you support what Colin did?  

32 members have voted

1. 1. Do you support Kaepernick's decision to sit?

• Yes. Great way to express himself
    • No. What was he thinking?

QUOTE (knightni @ Oct 4, 2016 -> 05:07 AM)
Pray tell... what is the correct way to protest in greg's world?

The idea of protest is to get attention to your cause so that change can happen.

Vote for someone who's isn't running for President. It's the best way to thank our veterans for their sacrifices.

I'm voting for David Letterman. He showed us how to laugh after 9/11.

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (greg775 @ Oct 4, 2016 -> 10:43 PM)
Well, I'm OK with organized rallies to protest. Get the permit, tell the police you are doing it kinda protest. Why go after the national anthem when the military is so solemn about the anthem?

You seriously don't live in the same world as the rest of us. It's absolutely incredible.

Edited by Rowand44

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Oct 5, 2016 -> 02:59 PM)
You seriously don't live in the same world as the rest of us. It's absolutely incredible.

Well, there are organized protests that get messages out. Some people on here who are blasting me seem to be up for spontaneous protests. If you want yourself or your kid to get arrested and never hold a job again, go ahead and encourage that.

Why is kneeling during the anthem an effective protest? Like I said, you are harming a group, the military, that has nothing to do with this. The anthem is their solemn song. If you doubt that, look at them during the anthem.

What's wrong with a legal protest. Again, if you do otherwise you may never work again with a big fat blotch on your police record. No employer is gonna give a good job to somebody with a record.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Oct 5, 2016 -> 11:42 AM)
Well, there are organized protests that get messages out. Some people on here who are blasting me seem to be up for spontaneous protests. If you want yourself or your kid to get arrested and never hold a job again, go ahead and encourage that.

Why is kneeling during the anthem an effective protest? Like I said, you are harming a group, the military, that has nothing to do with this. The anthem is their solemn song. If you doubt that, look at them during the anthem.

What's wrong with a legal protest. Again, if you do otherwise you may never work again with a big fat blotch on your police record. No employer is gonna give a good job to somebody with a record.

I didn't realize it was illegal to kneel during the National Anthem...

QUOTE (Tony @ Oct 5, 2016 -> 06:56 PM)
Kneeing during the anthem is harming the military...how?

It makes a mockery of their solemnity during the playing of the anthem. They are standing at attention, respecting the flag and the anthem and others are protesting. It belittles those who consider the anthem sacred.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Oct 5, 2016 -> 12:42 PM)

I guarantee you at least one person(that's all you said you needed) in the military past or present has read your posts on this topic and has been offended. Way to harm military, Greg.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Oct 5, 2016 -> 12:42 PM)

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 5, 2016 -> 07:46 AM)
Hey King George, do you mind if we throw some East India Tea company tea into Boston Harbor? No? Ok.

QUOTE (Tony @ Oct 5, 2016 -> 07:40 PM)
You didn't answer the question(shocking).

How is is harming them? Or are now we talking about trigger warnings and safe spaces?

Are you serious? I thought I answered the question pretty well. That wasn't a direct answer? I said how it harms them. They treat them anthem with great respect at all times as well as the flag. To not stand at attention I would think would offend many since they treat the anthem with great respect.

• 1 year later...

I now am a Dabo Swinney fan. He doesn't care about PC in his answer on the anthem. So maybe I'm not the only one who doesn't like anthem protests. I like the way Swinney calls for Colin to protest in a different way. And like me he mentions the team part of all this. Breaking up team unity with one guy breaking away.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jan 1, 2018 -> 10:35 PM)
I now am a Dabo Swinney fan. He doesn't care about PC in his answer on the anthem. So maybe I'm not the only one who doesn't like anthem protests. I like the way Swinney calls for Colin to protest in a different way. And like me he mentions the team part of all this. Breaking up team unity with one guy breaking away.

A few days later, Dabo Swinney apologized to his team for his comments, for being a distraction and possibly breaking up team unity.

https://sports.yahoo.com/news/clemson-lb-da...-201439371.html

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jan 1, 2018 -> 10:35 PM)
So maybe I'm not the only one who doesn't like anthem protests.

You don't get out much do you?

If I had a dollar for every person I've heard b****ing about these protests I could've retired already.

After Alabama's 24-6 win in the CFP semifinal, Brown told AL.com that Clemson coach Dabo Swinney disrespected the Tide by voting them at No. 5, behind Big Ten champion Ohio State, in the final coaches' poll.

"I love Dabo for all the ammunition he gave this team, man," Brown said on a video posted by AL.com. "He gave this team a lot of ammunition to come play this game and ready to dominate every play. Told us we weren't ready, told us we weren't worthy of [being] a top-four team. Look, that's what happens when you talk trash to us. We're going to show you."

Things didn’t work out well for the Cowboys or Texans (teams split by anthem/owner issues) either. Or Papa John. Interestingly, Kapaernick’s Niners looked like one of the best teams coming down the stretch.

As far as Dabo goes, you have to show Alabama more respect than that...four national titles in less than a decade. Oklahoma hadn’t even come close to being in their national title games against LSU, USC, Florida and then Clemson just three short years ago. Nick Saban might be a jerk, but he has earned the respect of being one of the two best football coaches of his generation, with Bill Belicheck being the other.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (Iwritecode @ Jan 2, 2018 -> 08:22 AM)
You don't get out much do you?

If I had a dollar for every person I've heard b****ing about these protests I could've retired already.

Christmas was fun because my uncle repeated the rhetoric that Kaep was disrespecting the military and "deserved to be shot". I told him that is utterly ridiculous.

He said I was never in the military and I wouldn't understand. I told him that he's not black in America so he wouldn't understand.

Then my mom slapped the back of my head.

Some people just refuse to open their ears and listen instead of being just told what to think.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Jan 2, 2018 -> 08:41 AM)
Since when was anything patriotic or about the country 100% about "the troops," anyway? The national anthem isn't an ode to the military.

It's just more faux outrage

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jan 1, 2018 -> 11:35 PM)

What is an acceptable protest for you?

QUOTE (JenksIsMyHero @ Oct 10, 2016 -> 10:01 AM)
Sigh, of course a conservative SCOTUS justice disapproves of the protests. Just awful.

Ruth Bader Ginsburg, Clinton appointee, is a conservative SCOTUS justice? Was this meant to be sarcasm? I believe she's widely acknowledged to be one of the most liberal justices on the court.

Edited by FloydBannister1983