2017 MLB DRAFT

Boopa1219

QUOTE (daa84 @ Jun 3, 2017 -> 10:03 PM)
The NCAA tourney is such a fun event. Really glad you can watch the whole thing on ESPN - its so perfectly timed with the draft

It's a lot of fun. Hoping my NC State squad can make it out of their regional but good 2-0 start!

• Replies 801
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (TheFutureIsNear @ Jun 3, 2017 -> 08:48 PM)
Can someone tell me what the issue with Burger is? Is that he goes to a small school? He shows + power, is walking more than K'ing, and and has good contact skills. So is it level of competition? Or that he's not a great athlete? To me he seems like a low floor, but still high ceiling prospect that should be in high consideration for pick #11.

I think the biggest question is if he can stay at third. Usually college third basemen are not the best defenders.

QUOTE (GermanSock @ Jun 4, 2017 -> 10:13 AM)
I think the biggest question is if he can stay at third. Usually college third basemen are not the best defenders.

Not going to pretend to have seen him play or know much about his glove work but this is from his college profile....

"Also voted as the top defensive third baseman in all of Division I baseball with his selection to the ABCA's Rawlings Gold Glove Team"

Don't think I've read a scouting report on him that has concerns about him not sticking at 3rd either.

QUOTE (TheFutureIsNear @ Jun 4, 2017 -> 10:22 AM)
Not going to pretend to have seen him play or know much about his glove work but this is from his college profile....

"Also voted as the top defensive third baseman in all of Division I baseball with his selection to the ABCA's Rawlings Gold Glove Team"

Don't think I've read a scouting report on him that has concerns about him not sticking at 3rd either.

I know I have, but it has all been related to his, well physique.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Jun 4, 2017 -> 10:54 AM)
Also Sox have had a former Phillies National Crosschecker join the scouting team solely as the national crosschecker for relief arms. Sox speculstely looking to grab Lincoln Henzman in the 3rd. Henzman's people think he's more of a 2nd rounder though.

http://m.mlb.com/video/topic/210960834/v14...college-pitcher

QUOTE (raBBit @ Jun 4, 2017 -> 10:49 AM)
So much BS in the MLB draft but here's what I'm hearing.

Supposedly Hahn's meeting with Kendall (reported by K Law) wasnt reported totally accurately. I don't think it means much but funny how that works out.

Sox seem to think Haesely/Smth Go before them.

Sox scouted Beck last week and he seems to be slipping on the draft board with an outside shot the A's/Braves grab him underslot.

Kendall stuff that all he publications agree on checks out. I'd give him the highest probability to be selected by far. A's are looked at as the only competition from a few different people. Bukauskas is slipping and could be in play but seems Kendall is plan A.

Also Sox have had a former Phillies National Crosschecker join the scouting team solely as the national crosschecker for relief arms. Sox speculstely looking to grab Lincoln Henzman in the 3rd. Henzman's people think he's more of a 2nd rounder though.

Great stuff Rabbit. Why would the Sox target Henzman a reliever in the first 3 rounds? Is he as dominant as Burdi was? Just trying to build an elite bullpen?

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Jun 4, 2017 -> 11:51 AM)
Great stuff Rabbit. Why would the Sox target Henzman a reliever in the first 3 rounds? Is he as dominant as Burdi was? Just trying to build an elite bullpen?

I wasn't sure if the Henzman and relief comments were supposed to be taken together. It certainly sounds feasible he could be a starter. Maybe Rabbit could clarify.

I would hate that pick in round 3. I'm not a fan of drafting relievers. Didn't like the Burdi pick last year either though.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Jun 4, 2017 -> 08:54 PM)
I would hate that pick in round 3. I'm not a fan of drafting relievers. Didn't like the Burdi pick last year either though.

And his stuff and stats don't jump off the screen

Me either. His stats are good, he's an all American, but a reliever topping out at 94 and relying on movement just seems like there's not a lot of room for error if velo drops at all.

He has a good changeup, wish that he could be a starter.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Jun 4, 2017 -> 11:49 AM)
So much BS in the MLB draft but here's what I'm hearing.

Supposedly Hahn's meeting with Kendall (reported by K Law) wasnt reported totally accurately. I don't think it means much but funny how that works out.

Sox seem to think Haesely/Smth Go before them.

Sox scouted Beck last week and he seems to be slipping on the draft board with an outside shot the A's/Braves grab him underslot.

Kendall stuff that all he publications agree on checks out. I'd give him the highest probability to be selected by far. A's are looked at as the only competition from a few different people. Bukauskas is slipping and could be in play but seems Kendall is plan A.

Man do I hope we end up w Beck. Really think he's the real deal.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Jun 4, 2017 -> 01:54 PM)

Getting a mlb reliever from the 3rd round is a good result. Not many good starters come from later rounds.

QUOTE (GermanSock @ Jun 4, 2017 -> 05:29 PM)
Getting a mlb reliever from the 3rd round is a good result. Not many good starters come from later rounds.

That's not really true at all. Starting pitching in later rounds might be less common, but there are tons of examples of success stories.

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Jun 4, 2017 -> 04:37 PM)
That's not really true at all. Starting pitching in later rounds might be less common, but there are tons of examples of success stories.

Guys like Nate Jones and Addison Reed in the later rounds are the ideal...obviously, Hector Santiago, Petricka, etc.

Kanhle was originally drafted by the Yankees in the 5th round. Swarzak was 2nd round, 61st pick by the Twins, for another example.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 4, 2017 -> 09:56 PM)
Doesn't have closer "stuff". You would never think he's a high pick watching him

Looks like a starter to me. Reminds me of Dane Dunning as a bullpen guy who would be better starting. I always thought other guys (Fulmer, Jay, etc) were more bullpen guys in the future.

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Jun 5, 2017 -> 04:02 AM)
Looks like a starter to me. Reminds me of Dane Dunning as a bullpen guy who would be better starting. I always thought other guys (Fulmer, Jay, etc) were more bullpen guys in the future.

Agreed, and Kendall just smoked a ball that was caught. He's impressing me this weekend

The good thing about Kendall is that his defense and position raises his floor. Even if his OBP is below average and his power maybe a bit above so that he is overall an average hitter he still can be an above average player. If a first base type becomes an average hitter he is a 0.5 war player.

QUOTE (GermanSock @ Jun 5, 2017 -> 04:54 AM)
The good thing about Kendall is that his defense and position raises his floor. Even if his OBP is below average and his power maybe a bit above so that he is overall an average hitter he still can be an above average player. If a first base type becomes an average hitter he is a 0.5 war player.

If his hit tool doesn't improve, his floor is organizational filler.

This is what MLBpipeline.com has to say about Lincoln Henzman. He's their #163 prospect.

Scouting grades: Fastball: 60 | Cutter: 50 | Changeup: 55 | Control: 50 | Overall: 45

Henzman overcame Tommy John surgery as a high school junior in 2013 to make an immediate impact as a freshman reliever at Louisville two years later. After an inconsistent 2016 season, he turned down the Mariners as a sophomore-eligible 31st-rounder and has taken over from White Sox first-rounder Zack Burdi as the Cardinals' closer. Henzman tied for the NCAA Division I lead with 16 saves entering the regional playoffs.

When Henzman keeps his 90-95 mph fastball down in the zone, it's almost impossible for hitters to lift. His changeup has similar action, behaving like a splitter, and grades as a plus pitch at times. His cutter climbs into the upper 80s and is an effective third offering.

Henzman blitzes the bottom of the strike zone and has permitted just one homer in three college seasons. He could move quickly through the Minors as a reliever, but he also had success as a starter in the Cape Cod League last summer and could get a shot in that role. He has enough pitches to work out of the rotation, though he'd have to prove he could maintain his velocity with a heavier workload.