Sox could try to attach Shields to Sale trade

southsider2k5

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/mlb/2...igers/94269528/

The biggest name being dangled belongs to five-time All-Star Chris Sale, who is 27 and would cost a reasonable $38 million over the next three years. Just as appealing would be fellow lefty Jose Quintana, who had a slightly better ERA (3.20 to 3.34) and is under contract for the next four years at a total of $35.35 million.

Acquiring one of those quality starters may require more than an array of prospects. The interested party could also be saddled with the $22 million Chicago still owes James Shields over the next two seasons.

Man that Shields trade just gets worse. That said, It isn't a bad thing, if you can reach your deal where everyone is happy and then go...one more thing...take James Shields. Still, that move was a really bad move and one where I really wonder how much film they had on him prior to acquiring him (from the current season). There was so much smoke around how peripheals, etc, that taking on that type of cash in that deal just wasn't smart (and yes, I said it at the time too). Never thought he would be this bad though and I figure at this point, you see if a healthy off-season gets him back to a decent start and you then trade him.

I can't see his value getting any worse and we won't exactly be strapped for cash if we start trading off various players.

I really hope this is just one of those stupid ideas that a writer would throw out because sox are looking to rebuild and would want to shed salary.

One - 22 million isn't that much, even if he is terrible.

two - If you are trading sale after committing to building around him for 4 years and failing, why would you lessen the return for $11 million a year, which you have shown to not be able to do jackcrap with.

But, I'm not familiar with Ortiz, and I think it's 100% likely that this is just a very supid throwaway line from someone not that involved or interested in actually thinking about Sale or the White Sox.

"Hey I did a quick google search on white sox and found an expensive player they might not want, I bet they're trying to unload him with sale!"

QUOTE (bmags @ Nov 23, 2016 -> 09:58 AM)
I really hope this is just one of those stupid ideas that a writer would throw out because sox are looking to rebuild and would want to shed salary.

One - 22 million isn't that much, even if he is terrible.

two - If you are trading sale after committing to building around him for 4 years and failing, why would you lessen the return for $11 million a year, which you have shown to not be able to do jackcrap with.

But, I'm not familiar with Ortiz, and I think it's 100% likely that this is just a very supid throwaway line from someone not that involved or interested in actually thinking about Sale or the White Sox.

"Hey I did a quick google search on white sox and found an expensive player they might not want, I bet they're trying to unload him with sale!"

I agree that it could be BS and I've never heard of the writer either, but that just sounds like suchhhh a Jerry Reinsdorf-owned organization move. We should be outraged if they were to take back less in a Chris Sale trade to shed 22 million of their mistake a few months ago. Let Shields rebuild his value, as has already been mentioned in this thread.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Nov 23, 2016 -> 10:25 AM)
Remember...this is a report...could be total BS or could just be a plant.

With some writers, you'd assume they are including this because they heard it somewhere. With this, it's written in a way that may be writers hypothesis or industry knowledge. Hard to know without much background on this writer.

QUOTE (fathom @ Nov 23, 2016 -> 09:55 AM)
Hahn is just the best

Triumvirate of stupidity=KW, Hahn and Jerry. I have this horrible feeling that Hahn will feel the desperation and deal Sale for a very underwhelming package. I have zero trust in these guys to run a successful rebuild.

QUOTE (GreatScott82 @ Nov 23, 2016 -> 05:59 PM)
Triumvirate of stupidity=KW, Hahn and Jerry. I have this horrible feeling that Hahn will feel the desperation and deal Sale for a very underwhelming package. I have zero trust in these guys to run a successful rebuild.

I don't think Hahn would do that. He has made comments in the past that he won't trade just to trade. We aren't the ones desperate to acquire a top five pitcher. I think the desperate one's are people thinking we have to trade Sale or Quintana and will be screaming if we don't. You get what you want for someone like Sale or you don't trade. He has tons of value to the Sox too

Edited by elrockinMT

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 23, 2016 -> 12:33 PM)
Or vice versa it could be an effort on the part of a team like Boston to say they would rather take on a Shield versus giving up a guy like Moncada.

Another alternative - this gives a team like Texas, which may not have the system resources Boston does, a way to keep talking to the White Sox.