Quintana Rumors: Round and round and round we go

GGajewski18

http://www.foxsports.com/mlb/story/jose-qu...rts-CQ-RSS-Feed

Today, according to Bob Nightengale, the Astros have officially dropped out of the Jose Quintana sweepstakes. His description was that the talks were shut down.

I think we all kind of figured Houston was out after they backed down during the winter meetings.

http://www.foxsports.com/mlb/story/jose-qu...rts-CQ-RSS-Feed

I think we all kind of figured Houston was out after they backed down during the winter meetings.

This likely means offers on the table from the Yankees and Pirates (or whoever else) exceeded what the Astros are willing to part with. So in a way, good news! Though I don't believe the Astros are truly out of it until Q is traded elsewhere.

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Dec 27, 2016 -> 02:58 PM)
Kinda random names to throw around.

Yeah, I don't agree with Levine's wording there but I'm not trying to be too particular. I would think names like Frazier, Torres and Rutherford are " top priorities " and where discussions begin. I would think at least one of those three would be a headliner.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Dec 27, 2016 -> 03:04 PM)
Yeah, I don't agree with Levine's wording there but I'm not trying to be too particular. I would think names like Frazier, Torres and Rutherford are " top priorities " and where discussions begin. I would think at least one of those three would be a headliner.

My theory is in Levines extensive research he used an older NYY prospects list.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 27, 2016 -> 04:07 PM)
That really isn't surprising at all.

Never say never. Maybe Q isn't dealt until the deadline, Bregman has a slow start, and the Stros pitching need becomes glaring. Moncada was untouchable at last deadline as well

QUOTE (Con te Giolito @ Dec 27, 2016 -> 03:03 PM)
This likely means offers on the table from the Yankees and Pirates (or whoever else) exceeded what the Astros are willing to part with. So in a way, good news! Though I don't believe the Astros are truly out of it until Q is traded elsewhere.

I'd just like to see the Sox get this done. I know Q is the best on the market now but, I just don't want any of our possible trade partners to start looking elsewhere for an alternative.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Dec 27, 2016 -> 03:03 PM)
Good for Houston. They can be content with losing.

Can we not be bitter towards teams who decide not to give us what we're asking for? It's perfectly reasonable to decide not to give Francis Martes, Kyle Tucker and Joe Musgrove for Jose Quintana.

QUOTE (Feeky Magee @ Dec 27, 2016 -> 03:12 PM)
Can we not be bitter towards teams who decide not to give us what we're asking for? It's perfectly reasonable to decide not to give Francis Martes, Kyle Tucker and Joe Musgrove for Jose Quintana.

According to Keith Law, that return is more than a little light.

I don't disagree, but I also think they would be crazy to enter the 2017 season without adding a TOR starter.

Meh, I really want to see that dumb Cameron article disproven by McHugh being terrible.

Levine's article mentions Kaprielian and Mateo

Both players stock are trending downard in my opinion. Mateo was nothing special in 2016 and Kaprielian was injured all season

Astros are out for right now, but so were the Red Sox on Sale until deal day

Eh, Law that offer was light and I'd agree.

To me it's because the Astros are like the Braves and don't view Q as a front line starter.

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Dec 27, 2016 -> 03:17 PM)
Levine's article mentions Kaprielian and Mateo

Both players stock are trending downard in my opinion. Mateo was nothing special in 2016 and Kaprielian was injured all season

Astros are out for right now, but so were the Red Sox on Sale until deal day

Levine is just throwing out names, no chance in hell the Sox make a trade with the Yankees without getting one of Torres or Frazier.

That is pretty insane honestly. That is a pretty terrible return for a front line starter.

QUOTE (Con te Giolito @ Dec 27, 2016 -> 03:03 PM)

Yeah, I agree it looks as though both the Yanks and Pirates have made offers that are intriguing enough for talks to continue progressing. Man, would I like know the actual names being discussed.

QUOTE (bmags @ Dec 27, 2016 -> 03:07 PM)
My theory is in Levines extensive research he used an older NYY prospects list.

You know, that makes a ton of sense. Maybe the 2015 MLB pipeline?

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 27, 2016 -> 03:07 PM)
That really isn't surprising at all.

No not all. Once Houston heard the Sox asking price they turned their attention to Duffy and Ventura.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Dec 27, 2016 -> 03:17 PM)

To me it's because the Astros are like the Braves and don't view Q as a front line starter.

Astros and Braves seemed to be the stingiest with their trade offers

Yankees are likely cobbling together subpar offers that exclude their top prospects

Very surprised the Rockies are not more in on Quintana and/or Robertson

QUOTE (NCsoxfan @ Dec 27, 2016 -> 02:26 PM)
Me thinks Hahn/Cashman are using Twitter/National Writers as a way to stir the pot and/or put pressure on other teams. All of this stuff is intentional.

Agree.

Nightengale is a definitely a whitesox gawker.

I think he'll end up in Houston for Martes, Tucker and someone other than Musgrove.

But to me he is perfect for Pittsburgh. A team with limited payroll that can appreciate Q's contract; he's consistent and as "low risk" as possible re established upper tier pitchers; and Pitt consistently develops prospects, such that they are likely to recoup what they lose.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Dec 27, 2016 -> 03:17 PM)

I personally don't think that offer is light at all. I just think Luhnow doesn't realize that in the modern MLB that you have to really go for it when you have a window and that sometimes means trading away quality prospects. Epstein most definitely overpaid for Chapman but it helped them get a ring. Can't be a major league GM and he afraid to make a move like that if you want to win a title.

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Dec 27, 2016 -> 03:22 PM)
Agree.

Nightengale is a definitely a whitesox gawker.

I think he'll end up in Houston for Martes, Tucker and someone other than Musgrove.

But to me he is perfect for Pittsburgh. A team with limited payroll that can appreciate Q's contract; he's consistent and as "low risk" as possible re established upper tier pitchers; and Pitt consistently develops prospects, such that they are likely to recoup what they lose.

Unless that someone other is Bregman, Rick Hahn screwed up if he comes home with that offer. That is just terrible.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Dec 27, 2016 -> 03:23 PM)
I personally don't think that offer is light at all. I just think Luhnow doesn't realize that in the modern MLB that you have to really go for it when you have a window and that sometimes means trading away quality prospects. Epstein most definitely overpaid for Chapman but it helped them get a ring. Can't be a major league GM and he afraid to make a move like that if you want to win a title.

Luhnow believes that his in house pitching will either improve or prospects will step up to fill in the gaps.

They do have a decent window to compete, although they are counting on a Keuchel bounceback and McCullers to stay healthy (which I don't think will happen).

They also might try out Devenski in the rotation, but he has never exceeded 119 innings in a season. Will be interesting to see how he performs starting instead of relief.

Houston might change its mind during the season, right now they are content to hang onto prospects

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Dec 27, 2016 -> 03:23 PM)

As of last summer, the only one of those guys that Law had ranked was Tucker at 32, so one can see why Law would think it light - based on his own evaluation.