Eaton to Nats/Giolito, Lopez, Dunning to Sox

southsider2k5

QUOTE (South Sider @ Dec 7, 2016 -> 02:11 PM)
There's still plenty of time and trade chips and drafts to get more hitters. Don't fret yet.

Q is going to get moved...I have to think....we also still have to move Abreu, Frazier, Melky and Robertson in the next year (most likely Nate Jones as well). Plenty of options to land more positional talent.

QUOTE (Frank_Thomas35 @ Dec 7, 2016 -> 06:12 PM)
I'm actually very happy with this trade for real. Hell of a start. Now we need to turn Q dawg into three four high end postion players. So stoked.

Like it or not, this almost forces us to move Q just to clear roles.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Dec 7, 2016 -> 06:13 PM)
Q is going to get moved...I have to think....we also still have to move Abreu, Frazier, Melky and Robertson in the next year (most likely Nate Jones as well). Plenty of options to land more positional talent.
Frazier and Cabrera absolutely must be moved. The others we can be a little more hesitant on if we want.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Dec 7, 2016 -> 05:12 PM)
Robertson, Jones, and Frazier can bring something back too. Not anything top 50, but something.

Yep, look at what Tyler Thornburg got the Brewers yesterday. A guy who was a decent major leaguer and two solid prospects. Jones could potentially bring back something similar.

QUOTE (CanOfCorn @ Dec 7, 2016 -> 04:10 PM)
I hope Hahn is on the phone with the NYY, LAD and Marlins saying, hey, whichever one doesn't get Chapman or Jansen, we got Robertson. Come get him!

I think they need to hold him at this point and let him rebuild some more value so that his contract looks like a deal. I think the surgery will help him get a lot of that back since it appears the injury was bothering him since July (also when he started backsliding).

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 7, 2016 -> 02:14 PM)
Frazier and Cabrera absolutely must be moved. The others we can be a little more hesitant on if we want.

I agree...I think Frazier, Melky, and Q all get moved now. I don't know that we get enough to move Abreu (and he has a nice vet presence that he brings to the clubhouse)....Robertson I have no problem holding onto for a bit. I'd be more aggressive dangling Nate. Now the question is what FA flyers do we try to make to buy low and hope to sell at the deadline.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Dec 7, 2016 -> 04:14 PM)
Yep, look at what Tyler Thornburg got the Brewers yesterday. A guy who was a decent major leaguer and two solid prospects. Jones could potentially bring back something similar.

If not even more. Jones has a super friendly contract whereas Thornburg is going thru arb, I believe.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 7, 2016 -> 04:11 PM)
Q is the only one of any value. That's it.

And Frazier, and Jones, and Abreu...who will likely stick around and Jones might be upgraded to closer to max out his value if it's not high enough already as a set up guy. That's risky, as he might not succeed there...but we have no way of knowing what if anything has been offered yet for him.

Robertson and Cabrera get you salary relief, mostly.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 7, 2016 -> 04:09 PM)
It doesn't help solve the problem we have now, at all. Our position players have been awful. As of now, we have set ourselves up to have the exact same problem we have now, but only if all goes right. If it doesn't, we won't have offensive or pitching.

Maybe they take the glut of pitching prospects and trade them for hitters.

Three pitchers for any non-mvp caliber hitter is a steal.

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Dec 7, 2016 -> 04:11 PM)
Two of the top 10 RHP prospects in baseball isn't bad. Not sure what Dunning is going to be, back end guy or in the pen, but good pick up.

It appears the strategy is to focus on guys that are fairly developed and take a lot of the projection out of the hands of the scouting department. It probably cost a bit in terms of quantity, but a lot less risk in a deal like this than one that includes guys a long ways from their ceilings.

3 of top 8 including Kopech.