Also logical landing places for Abreu/Frazier/Cabrera

caulfield12

QUOTE (beautox @ Jan 3, 2017 -> 12:15 PM)
All of Melky's value is tied right into contract, if the sox ate all 15m of it then sure i could see them getting a back half 80-100 prospect for him or a recent draftee that lost some of their shine similar to say Dillon Tate, but outside of that if the sox put him on waivers and he was claimed and JR didn't want to foot the bill he would be gone with no hassle.

Even throwing out the likelihood for the Sox to pick up all $15 million due being near zero, I still don't see a top 100 prospect being the return for Melky. That seems a touch high.

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Who is going to give something up for the right to pay Melky Cabrera $15 million to play for them next year?

Well you get an .800 OPS switch hitter who may not be a good LFer but is hardly the worst LFer in the biz. And its one year of $15m, not 3 years of $45m. If you got a team that's really going for it that's a guy you could use. Gets on base, has some power, can play the OF...he's a step above the power bats with low OBP's and no position.

They aren't getting a T100 prospect for him. Either a couple T250 guys in the low minors or an org guy blocked for the forseeable future. Those aren't bad returns...adding a new name to the Sox T30 isn't a waste of time.

Edited by Con te Giolito

QUOTE (Con te Giolito @ Jan 3, 2017 -> 12:41 PM)
Well you get an .800 OPS switch hitter who may not be a good LFer but is hardly the worst LFer in the biz. And its one year of $15m, not 3 years of $45m. If you got a team that's really going for it that's a guy you could use. Gets on base, has some power, can play the OF...he's a step above the power bats with low OBP's and no position.

They aren't getting a T100 prospect for him. Either a couple T250 guys in the low minors or an org guy blocked for the forseeable future. Those aren't bad returns...adding a new name to the Sox T30 isn't a waste of time.

Which team has a need and $15 million they are willing to spend?

QUOTE (ChiSoxFanMike @ Jan 3, 2017 -> 02:53 PM)
Melky and say $5 million for a guy like Jeimer Candelario who is blocked for the foreseeable future. Obviously the Cubs wouldn't be interested but maybe they could find a different team to work with.

Why would said team not just go sign Michael Saunders?

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Jan 3, 2017 -> 11:56 AM)
Ah ok. Very well could be. He'd make a great deadline deal like Melky would for a contender.

Frazier could be a huge trade deadline chip if he rebounds a bit next year. There are multiple contenders with questionable 3B situations right now and at least a couple of them will likely be looking for an upgrade come July. I'm confident if Frazier improves next year we can get a quality return for him at the deadline as the market should be much better.

QUOTE (ChiSoxFanMike @ Jan 3, 2017 -> 12:53 PM)
Melky and say $5 million for a guy like Jeimer Candelario who is blocked for the foreseeable future. Obviously the Cubs wouldn't be interested but maybe they could find a different team to work with.

Who wants him, is willing to pay him even $10 million, and is also willing to give up something to get him?

Which team has a need and $15 million they are willing to spend?

Toronto springs to mind right away, but really any team that needs some platoon help at DH and/or LF. Tampa or Oakland may start sniffing around if the price is low, those orgs are often more commitment averse than anything and Melky walks after the season. Detroit may be intrigued, especially if they move JD Martinez.

Keep in mind you're not really asking for anything too good prospect-wise from any of these clubs. More often than not the guy you get in return for Melky will be a change of scenery piece or someone who has been passed up by more than other prospect.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jan 3, 2017 -> 01:06 PM)
As for Melky, I don't see any interest in him right now. Really have to hope being in a contract year brings out the best in him and we can flip him at the deadline for something of value.

Good point. The same could be said for Lawrie, Frazier, and Gonzalez. They'll have extra motivation in trying to get a new contract even if the team sucks.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 3, 2017 -> 01:33 PM)
Even throwing out the likelihood for the Sox to pick up all $15 million due being near zero, I still don't see a top 100 prospect being the return for Melky. That seems a touch high.

See you never know...I think how teams view their prospects' rankings takes a back seat to how they plan on using them. There are a lot of top 100 ranked prospects who are blocked on the depth chart who are available to use as trade chips and the fact that they are ranked in the top 100 just makes for a quicker deal that gets you what you need (or gets you some extra bargaining power in some form). If I've got a rock solid rotation, a lights out bullpen and am strong around the infield and have only 1 sure thing in the outfield along to go with 2 below replacement OF'ers...I might have no problem moving an infield prospect who is blocked by an all-star under a long-term MLB deal for someone like Melky who can hit .300 and get on base. If that player is ranked NO. 87 on Baseball America's list, so be it. If that is the chip I need to play to really complete my team for a legitimate run, I might do it?

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 3, 2017 -> 12:54 PM)
Why would said team not just go sign Michael Saunders?

That would probably be their first choice. Look, Melky doesn't have much surplus value, but let's not act like the guy is a scrub. We all know you hate him - you crusaded against him more than anything I have ever seen on a message board in 2015. But the dude can flat out hit. He is still a very good bat, but one with some baggage.

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Jan 3, 2017 -> 02:04 PM)
That would probably be their first choice. Look, Melky doesn't have much surplus value, but let's not act like the guy is a scrub. We all know you hate him - you crusaded against him more than anything I have ever seen on a message board in 2015. But the dude can flat out hit. He is still a very good bat, but one with some baggage.

He's good, he'll probably out perform many inhouse options, but he's not good enough that teams aren't going to just squint at what they have and reason that they are better considering they don't cost 15 million + prospects.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 3, 2017 -> 12:20 PM)
For a quick check, put a name to it and see if it makes sense. Fulmer is someone we're familair with who is coming off a down year and is going to be in that 50-100 range, maybe a bit above your 80-100 but close enough. Melky Cabrera put up 1.6 fWAR last year, is projected for 1 fWAR this year, and was a replacement level player in 2015. Even considering that it's Cabrera's likely last "contract year" and he might have a history of good contract years, would you give up Carson Fulmer for an extra 2 WAR outfielder if you didn't have to pay for it, or would you just go sign Michael Saunders?

no i don't think you could get a Fulmer per se but i could see Anthony Alford or Harold Ramirez along with someone like former first rounder Max Pentecost who has had a lot of trouble staying on the field and likely moved off catching. Provided the sox ate a large chunk of his remaining salary.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jan 3, 2017 -> 02:23 PM)
He's good, he'll probably out perform many inhouse options, but he's not good enough that teams aren't going to just squint at what they have and reason that they are better considering they don't cost 15 million + prospects.

Yep, I agree. I think Melky is going to be on the Sox until June or July some time.

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Jan 3, 2017 -> 04:49 PM)
Yep, I agree. I think Melky is going to be on the Sox until June or July some time.

FWIW, unlike Frazier, Melky isn't blocking anyone that I see as ready to get big league at bats and we still have a CF opening anyway for that alphabet soup of names I haven't yet learned. Since I see his value as basically zero, there is much less harm in holding him - it's basically just finishing up one set of payments due from the successes of the last 2 seasons.

*This could change pending a deal for say, Austin Meadows.

Most comparable player I can compare Melky to who has been moved recently is Melvin Upton. He netted a 20 year old with back of the rotation appeal, and that's after the Padres picked up all by $5 million of Upton's salary.

If that's all they can get for him come the deadline, then that's all they can get and is something they will do.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jan 3, 2017 -> 03:55 PM)
Most comparable player I can compare Melky to who has been moved recently is Melvin Upton. He netted a 20 year old with back of the rotation appeal, and that's after the Padres picked up all by $5 million of Upton's salary.

If that's all they can get for him come the deadline, then that's all they can get and is something they will do.

Meh. Melky's OPS+ was 120 last year. BJ's was 84. They are about the same age and make about the same money, though BJ had 1.5 years still left on his deal and is owed $1.5M more than Melky this year.

Not terrible comp, but Melky is a better bat.

Not only Saunders, but Rasmus and Rajai Davis too.

Sox typically abhor eating salary...and nobody other than Liriano/Coats you could even conceive of giving his playing time to. In the end, Melky at $4-6 million (Sox might send $2 with) for 2 months is much more palatable than a full season commitment, especially with how his 2015 season went.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jan 3, 2017 -> 04:12 PM)
Not only Saunders, but Rasmus and Rajai Davis too.

Sox typically abhor eating salary...and nobody other than Liriano/Coats you could even conceive of giving his playing time to. In the end, Melky at $4-6 million (Sox might send $2 with) for 2 months is much more palatable than a full season commitment, especially with how his 2015 season went.

They just ate most of Danks' $15 mill from last season and most of the $10 million given out to Latos,Rollins (both cut), and Jackson (missed over half the season). I wouldn't be shocked to see them kick in about $10 mill to move Melky because it is only for 1 year.

Edited by soxfan2014

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Jan 3, 2017 -> 04:12 PM)
Meh. Melky's OPS+ was 120 last year. BJ's was 84. They are about the same age and make about the same money, though BJ had 1.5 years still left on his deal and is owed $1.5M more than Melky this year.

Not terrible comp, but Melky is a better bat.

And a worse defender and base runner.

Melky will fetch a talented player or two, but they will almost certainly be highly flawed.

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Jan 3, 2017 -> 04:21 PM)
They just ate most of Danks' $15 mill from last season and most of the $10 million given out to Latos,Rollins (both cut), and Jackson (missed over half the season). I wouldn't be shocked to see them kick in about $10 mill to move Melky because it is only for 1 year.

Danks was almost forced because they were in first place and it felt like he could drag down the entire season.

Melky, they have no compelling need to do anything one way or the other. No payroll crunch, etc. No rush to replace him with a better option, as the other two outfielders we roll out there will likely be much worse.