Soxfest 2017

Kyyle23

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Jan 28, 2017 -> 02:28 PM)
Post 42 in this thread said SSS mentioned when the time is right the Sox will spend big .What the Sox idea of spending big means is any ones guess.

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Jan 28, 2017 -> 02:41 PM)
I don't take that as "we will go out and sign the best free agent fit (Machado to play 3B for example). More long the lines I've spreading out a hood portion of money around the team's young kids. The ones who have succeeded anyway.

That was my post and Hahn's comment was specifically about filling holes in free agency.

Finally, he addressed the concern that, at the end of The Rebuild, the team wouldn't spend the money necessary to add the final few pieces, flatly stating that "the resources will be there." And, when we see those resources being spent on players outside the organization, that's when you'll know that Hahn thinks the team is one or two seasons away from competing.
Edited by Chicago White Sox

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Con te Giolito @ Jan 28, 2017 -> 02:45 PM)
Burdi just confirmed on WLS that he will be a reliever.

Not a huge shock keeping him in relief. He can be a solid bullpen arm right away for the sox.

He could always get stretched out next offseason, but I think they always saw him in relief

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jan 28, 2017 -> 02:48 PM)
That was my post and Hahn's comment was specifically about filling holes in free agency.

Gotcha.

I know it's fun to fantasize about someone like Machado coming here, but I just don't see the Sox giving out a $200+ million deal to one player when they haven't even given out a $100 million deal out to one person.

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Jan 28, 2017 -> 03:24 PM)
Gotcha.

I know it's fun to fantasize about someone like Machado coming here, but I just don't see the Sox giving out a $200+ million deal to one player when they haven't even given out a $100 million deal out to one person.

They will have tons of money to spend and I'm sure will look into every option to see what makes sense. I also don't think they give anyone a 200 mill deal though

QUOTE (3GamesToLove @ Jan 28, 2017 -> 09:10 PM)
Are there any freebies in terms of items to be autographed? I bought a ball just in case. Will they know to sign a ball with a pen instead of a marker?

They gave out free photos for Bo Jackson, but that was a unique situation. And yes, these guys know when to use a pen vs. a marker, no worry there.

QUOTE (hi8is @ Jan 29, 2017 -> 04:17 AM)
Michael Kopech won a "who can take the most selfies" contest at Soxfest yesterday... in a short interview after winning he thanked God and Jesus for his win.

Not joking.

I think he did it in jest. That was my interpretation from watching the clip.

Two interest tweets from Dan Hayes:

Dan Fabian said RHP Victor Diaz made steady progress in '16. Could be fast mover. Kind of player you can dream on. Good 4th piece in trade.

Dan Fabian said of Carson Fulmer's late adjustment -- "wow." Wasn't same delivery as in Chicago. Thinks learned from time in bigs. #WhiteSox

Also, some interesting nuggets from a SSS article:

http://www.southsidesox.com/2017/1/29/1442...y-soxfest-recap

-Even if the Chicago White Sox had the number one pick, they would have drafted Zack Collins.

-If Zack Burdi weren't available at pick 26, they would have drafted Alec Hansen.

-They have scouting reports on Clemson outfielder, Seth Beer since he was 14.

-Hostetler would like to go younger in the upcoming 2017 draft. The White Sox will attempt to be more balanced selecting college and prep players, but that will be dependent on the best player available.

-Both Hostetler and Dan Fabian (Senior Director of Baseball Operations) were very high on Dane Dunning when he was at Florida. They used Dunning as an example of how the White Sox are now operating during the rebuild - Hahn is leaning on the amateur and minor league scouting teams to help piece together returns.

I get that he's a 19 year old kid and it's not a big deal - but it is an immature thing to say in that setting. Even the kids and the interviewer looked a little taken back by it.

Kopech is a professional representative of a Major Leauge baseball organization, I'm sure he'll mature. I'm a jackass sitting in my couch in my underwear who's been posting in a forum for 14 years. I'm not so sure I'll ever mature.

Big difference.

:bang

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Jan 29, 2017 -> 09:49 AM)
You of all people are going to be the fun police?

Could be that kind of joke is poking fun at those players who thank God for everything. Religious jokes should be just as off limits as race jokes. And I am not very PC but people in the public eye need to be.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside