Sox holding talks "daily" on Q

Sleepy Harold

QUOTE (bmags @ Jan 10, 2017 -> 08:14 PM)
I am actually surprised Sox don't take a salary dump for drob.

Yeah, I think holding onto Robertson is more of a risk than Q. I would talk to the Nats since they had interest in him before. Maybe work something out for Severino + and if necessary offer a few bucks. This would make Jones the front runner to be Closer and with a little success he could net a really nice haul in July or even next winter.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (ChiSoxFanMike @ Jan 10, 2017 -> 06:58 PM)
They shouldn't, but if money is the only thing keeping the Sox from getting a guy like Meadows or Bell, I absolutely do it.

Yeah, unless they are clearing out the Pirates system, they shouldn't have to take on a bad contract.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jan 10, 2017 -> 09:01 PM)
What risk is there waiting to deal Robertson? The rumor from raBBit was that he doesn't have much of a market right now. Might as well give him a chance to rebuild his value. And relievers are the ideal chips to move at the deadline.

I don't think there's any risk but maybe some opportunity risk. Trading Robertson now allows the Sox to put Jones in the closer role for half a year to increase his value to swap at the deadline.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 10, 2017 -> 09:58 PM)
Yeah, unless they are clearing out the Pirates system, they shouldn't have to take on a bad contract.

Bastardo for $6.5 million isn't a terribly big deal to the White Sox but it could be a terribly big deal to the Pirates. Hell, he gets off to a good start and he could be movable at the deadline.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 10, 2017 -> 09:24 PM)
Bastardo for $6.5 million isn't a terribly big deal to the White Sox but it could be a terribly big deal to the Pirates. Hell, he gets off to a good start and he could be movable at the deadline.

Exactly. It's not a huge sum of money for the Sox to take on, but shedding that salary could be huge for Pittsburgh and make them send another prospect our way because of the money they would save.

Just trying to think outside the box a bit.

But what is the case for Q being worth MORE to the Braves than to the White Sox?

They're not going to be competing in 2017. He's not especially marketable. The Braves won't give us any players who will be helping the White Sox to contend until at least 2018, but more likely 2019.

I'm just not seeing the case (because most of the assets outside of Albies and Maitan are pitchers, and obviously Swanson's not going anywhere) for trading for a handful of potential Q's unless the scouting department is 100% on board.

And it doesn't make sense for the Braves to try to "jumpstart" the rebuilding by a year or two by gutting their system to do so. The timing should be more looking at the 2019 season (just like the White Sox) with Harper presumably leaving the Nats and the Mets' pitching having left (Harvey) or broken down.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jan 10, 2017 -> 09:37 PM)
But what is the case for Q being worth MORE to the Braves than to the White Sox?

They're not going to be competing in 2017. He's not especially marketable. The Braves won't give us any players who will be helping the White Sox to contend until at least 2018, but more likely 2019.

I'm just not seeing the case (because most of the assets outside of Albies and Maitan are pitchers, and obviously Swanson's not going anywhere) for trading for a handful of potential Q's unless the scouting department is 100% on board.

And it doesn't make sense for the Braves to try to "jumpstart" the rebuilding by a year or two by gutting their system to do so. The timing should be more looking at the 2019 season (just like the White Sox) with Harper presumably leaving the Nats and the Mets' pitching having left (Harvey) or broken down.

Not disagreeing with you, but there has been a whole lot of smoke around a trade for a TOR pitcher for awhile. If a deal does go down I doubt I'll be pleased based on the the position we are in which I believe you assessed accurately.

QUOTE (OklahomaBrave @ Jan 10, 2017 -> 07:29 PM)
Richard Justice on his talk show today reported the Braves are the most agressive for both Quintana and Archer. Almost simultaneously Bowman reported Braves still pursuing an Ace. Just food for thought/fuel for the flame from a bored Braves fan.

Appreciate your input! Keep it coming!

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jan 10, 2017 -> 09:37 PM)

I'd say he is. Braves are probably looking to win in 2018 and may think of themselves as a sleeper for 2017. He's not worth much at all to the Sox, except as currency.

The question is whether he's worth more to the Braves than to the Pirates, Astros or Yankees. That, I would doubt.

QUOTE (Con te Giolito @ Jan 10, 2017 -> 04:35 PM)
I am saying whatever is too much to give up for Q this offseasom will still be too much to give up for Q in July, and next offseason, and next July on and on. B

I agree that that is likely the case.

Hahn needs to cut the best deal he can before the season and take it.

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Jan 10, 2017 -> 10:20 PM)
I'd say he is. Braves are probably looking to win in 2018 and may think of themselves as a sleeper for 2017. He's not worth much at all to the Sox, except as currency.

The question is whether he's worth more to the Braves than to the Pirates, Astros or Yankees. That, I would doubt.

But there's a legitimate case to be made for the White Sox contending in 2019 and 2020 if this plays out the way many are hoping.

At least for the moment, it doesn't feel like this trade gets done until June/July.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jan 10, 2017 -> 08:38 PM)
But there's a legitimate case to be made for the White Sox contending in 2019 and 2020 if this plays out the way many are hoping.

At least for the moment, it doesn't feel like this trade gets done until June/July.

Could happen during spring training if an injury to a starting pitcher pops up in a contender.

My hope is Hahn just holds out for Meadows, if Bell is seen as a sticking point a deal like this feels about right.

Meadows, Keller, Hayes & Hearn.

Pirates get to keep their closet ML ready arm and Bell while giving them some runway with Cutch and Q if they fall out of it they can restock. Hayes offers a premium athlete with blood lines that should be between 80-150 at a challenging position to develop. Keller and Hearn offer two nice upside arms that can become part of the second wave of arms(Hansen, Kopech, Dunning) to hit after Gio, Lopez, Fulmer, Guerrero.

Does anybody else feel like Quintana maybe worth more in June? It seems like that time a year when teams will be the more desperate.

Astros having a slow start.

Yankees having a good start.

Pirates having a good start.

Even the Cubs get off to a bad start or have a pitcher go down for a signifcant amount of time. I can see them waste a year while Bryant and Rizzo are in there prime.

Not large enough to send over a good prospect I would think. I read the other day (forgot where) that they were shopping both him and Watson trying to move one or the other. Doubt they would want to include him in a deal where they would have to include another prospect just to unload him.

Edited by soxfan2014

QUOTE (ChiSox1917 @ Jan 10, 2017 -> 09:15 PM)
I don't think there's any risk but maybe some opportunity risk. Trading Robertson now allows the Sox to put Jones in the closer role for half a year to increase his value to swap at the deadline.

I am really surprised that we haven't heard more about Jones being in demand.

For what? The Sox are already asking for Meadows, and should get him as the headliner to any deal with Pittsburgh.