Kopech hit 110 mph on the radar

flavum

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (hi8is @ Jan 17, 2017 -> 10:43 AM)
I've seen him do that for a couple years now in drills... someone more informed will have more insight but I suspect it's a drill to build drive towards the plate. Never seen it that pronounced thou. Crazy.

I've seen many people use it. i'm not a fan of it as it tries to teach how to throw too hard and thus really put a great deal of strain on the UCL while pitching.

Not a fan of the kids attitude of trying to throw that hard. Really sets him up for injuries in the future.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Jan 17, 2017 -> 10:22 PM)
I've seen many people use it. i'm not a fan of it as it tries to teach how to throw too hard and thus really put a great deal of strain on the UCL while pitching.

Not a fan of the kids attitude of trying to throw that hard. Really sets him up for injuries in the future.

What you speak of is exactly what happened to Kolek. Just before the draft I read an article that painted Kolek as being a bit too focused on his FB velocity. The article mentioned something about how he went to his father one day bragging about how his velocity had jumped up. His triple digit FB was continuously mentioned throughout the article. Well, we all know what happened to Kolek. Not saying it will happen with Kopech but like many have said, he would be much better off learning to control his FB at a lower vslocity than adding more velocity to it. Hopefully he will realise this.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Jan 17, 2017 -> 08:22 PM)

Thanks for the insight, as always - brother.

GET OFF MY LAWN! YOU YOUNG WHIPPERSNAPPER AND 110MPH ARM!!!

I miss the old days when you could watch the Sox for a nickel!

We can all sit here in our ivory cubicles and judge away, but he's what 19 or 20?? And has how much money? And has ties to reality TV/Hollywood I think I read?

I'm not saying those are things I look for in a pitcher on my favorite team, however I also didn't go through this age with a phone recording every single move I took. I'm sure I'd post some really dumb things and made terrible decisions... and I don't didn't have any money or connections..

If his bad decision are hanging out with a blonde in a bikini and trying to the throw a ball hard? I'll take that.

Can we get a trade? Or .. anything? This thread stinks.

I had a conversation via text with a friend of mine who works in baseball and he said what Kopech is doing is almost definitely an abridged offseason program that isn't meant to add much (if any) velocity. These sessions come nowhere near the strain of even a minor league start on a tight pitch count. The guy who owns this facility is running a business and definitely wants HS players to see Kopech hurling 110 mph lasers at his gym and will play up these feats on social media to try and generate buzz. It seems to have worked.

Some guys have the Mark Buehrle beer n huntin' offseason regimen, others are workout maniacs. Its different for each guy and as long as Kopech isn't directly disobeying the White Sox doing this stuff its fine.

QUOTE (Con te Giolito @ Jan 18, 2017 -> 01:43 PM)
I had a conversation via text with a friend of mine who works in baseball and he said what Kopech is doing is almost definitely an abridged offseason program that isn't meant to add much (if any) velocity. These sessions come nowhere near the strain of even a minor league start on a tight pitch count. The guy who owns this facility is running a business and definitely wants HS players to see Kopech hurling 110 mph lasers at his gym and will play up these feats on social media to try and generate buzz. It seems to have worked.

Some guys have the Mark Buehrle beer n huntin' offseason regimen, others are workout maniacs. Its different for each guy and as long as Kopech isn't directly disobeying the White Sox doing this stuff its fine.

The same one from Jeff Passan's THE ARM (I think it's in the Pacific NW)...Trevor Bauer and the Asian-American analytics kid are involved with?

QUOTE (flavum @ Jan 25, 2017 -> 11:54 AM)
Coop on the Score this morning...said he wasn't in love seeing that Kopech video, but he's a young kid and he'll learn.

The thing is a training method that was made popular by Kyle Boddy (driveline baseball). Kyle is one of the best throwing experts in the world and trains like 40 pro players in the offseason or so. he is also doing a lot of scientific research. overload underload training is a proven training technique that was invented by soviet union sports scientists somewhere around the 50s and 60s and now is also creeping over to baseball.

https://www.drivelinebaseball.com/2016/03/w...d-consequences/

https://www.drivelinebaseball.com/2016/01/d...weighted-balls/

The thing is a training method that was made popular by Kyle Boddy (driveline baseball). Kyle is one of the best throwing experts in the world and trains like 40 pro players in the offseason or so. he is also doing a lot of scientific research. overload underload training is a proven training technique that was invented by soviet union sports scientists somewhere around the 50s and 60s and now is also creeping over to baseball.

Are you sure they didn't just come up with the idea of combining horse steroids with the same amphetamines they gave doomed Red Army soldiers in the War?

QUOTE (GermanSock @ Jan 26, 2017 -> 04:50 AM)
Yes they did that too.

This is why that line of research as well as the soviet research on using electrical modalities to increase strength have been invalidated.

Also, that training method kopech is using is designed to increase pitch velocity. Many believe that attempting to throw too hard to often (me included) is what is leading to the increased frequency of UCL issues. While this training is effective in increasing velocity, it may not be a good thing, especially in the eyes of Cooper who doesn't think velocity is everything. Besides Kopech can throw 100 already. Trying to increase velocity from there is just an ego going crazy and will not lead to anything good.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Jan 26, 2017 -> 07:31 AM)
This is why that line of research as well as the soviet research on using electrical modalities to increase strength have been invalidated.

Also, that training method kopech is using is designed to increase pitch velocity. Many believe that attempting to throw too hard to often (me included) is what is leading to the increased frequency of UCL issues. While this training is effective in increasing velocity, it may not be a good thing, especially in the eyes of Cooper who doesn't think velocity is everything. Besides Kopech can throw 100 already. Trying to increase velocity from there is just an ego going crazy and will not lead to anything good.

Well said. I can't imagine Coop will let that keep going. His arm is an asset for the White Sox.