Spring Training notes thread

southsider2k5

QUOTE (SCCWS @ Feb 15, 2017 -> 08:46 AM)
Agree the year of control is probably the key factor. Ironically if he was still in Boston, he had a great shot to make made the ML roster. I would assume Hahn will "assign" someone to work with him if he goes to AAA.

He would have had a minimal shot at going north with Boston. They wouldn't keep him around as a utility IF and if Sandoval flops, Holt will play 3B. Plus his call up last year showed how over-matched he was.

• Replies 313
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (hi8is @ Feb 15, 2017 -> 12:53 PM)
I think it'll be fun to watch games this year... if they lose, cool! If someone like Davidson blows chunks - oh well... if he does great, cool! Rooting for players who are trade candidates will be a thing and following all the affiliates will be intense. Following the international signing period, the draft, other teams top prospects performances, monitoring trade partners standings... it'll be a much different type of fandom but it'll be lit.

agree, the only thing that will suck the fun out of it would be all the new prospects absolutely cratering. I don't see that happening, they are too good, and there are too many of them now.

QUOTE (ChiSoxFanMike @ Feb 14, 2017 -> 04:33 PM)
For those not at all interested in the Sox right now, what exactly was interesting about the same 78 win team year in and year out that the Sox have had the past few years?

For me, it's not that I'm not interested at all. I said it's the least interested I have been in the Sox, maybe ever. I'm 26. I've watched on average probably 135 games a year (maybe more, but can't watch day games at work), since I was in high school. I'm obsesssed. But I've always liked that the Sox have tried to win every year, even though it hasn't worked. Generally they've been fairly competitive each year since 03, with a few outliers.

I fully understand that the rebuild is necessary, and I'm behind it, but it sucks that it's Feb 15 and I already know the Sox aren't going to relevant at all this season. I'll still watch a bunch of games and root for the Sox to win until it's obvious that they're terrible - that shouldn't take long - but it's just different. Therefore, it's the least interested I've been in awhile. Baseball is how I spend my summers - I don't expect that to change this summer, but it's deflating knowing there is zero chance of playing in October.

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Feb 15, 2017 -> 05:30 PM)
For me, it's not that I'm not interested at all. I said it's the least interested I have been in the Sox, maybe ever. I'm 26. I've watched on average probably 135 games a year (maybe more, but can't watch day games at work), since I was in high school. I'm obsesssed. But I've always liked that the Sox have tried to win every year, even though it hasn't worked. Generally they've been fairly competitive each year since 03, with a few outliers.

I fully understand that the rebuild is necessary, and I'm behind it, but it sucks that it's Feb 15 and I already know the Sox aren't going to relevant at all this season. I'll still watch a bunch of games and root for the Sox to win until it's obvious that they're terrible - that shouldn't take long - but it's just different. Therefore, it's the least interested I've been in awhile. Baseball is how I spend my summers - I don't expect that to change this summer, but it's deflating knowing there is zero chance of playing in October.

Yes. 2014 they really were stepping back but they had Abreu coming in and Eaton to keep it interesting. Now all the interesting guys they brought in will be at Charlotte and Birmingham. It reminds me of the teams from 86-89 when you had to win the division to make the playoffs. It was hopeless, but I guess my youth always thought maybe somwthing can happen. Then you watch Russ Morman play and reality sets in. It will be interesting to see how Abreu, Frazier and Melky do I suppose. Anderson is probably the big One to watch. If he flourishes that will be fun. If he goes the other way like some publications seem to think, we will be looking forward to watching the Bears lose quickly.

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Feb 15, 2017 -> 06:30 PM)

Trust me on this: It will get better. When you're my age (kickin 80) you should be down to 120 or so per year. Naps will prevail.

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ Feb 15, 2017 -> 05:05 PM)
agree, the only thing that will suck the fun out of it would be all the new prospects absolutely cratering. I don't see that happening, they are too good, and there are too many of them now.

It isn't a matter of if, it is a matter of who. There will be some that bust, you just have to hope it isn't most.

QUOTE (OnlyGillis @ Feb 15, 2017 -> 05:59 PM)
He would have had a minimal shot at going north with Boston. They wouldn't keep him around as a utility IF and if Sandoval flops, Holt will play 3B. Plus his call up last year showed how over-matched he was.

Agree but they traded Shaw so Sandoval would have been his main competition. If Sandoval stunk again and Moncada had a big spring, it would have been interesting. Holt is a last resort since he is the utility guy ( damn good one). Boston wouldn't care about getting an extra year out of him.

QUOTE (ChiSoxFanMike @ Feb 15, 2017 -> 10:48 PM)
They are. It's the ultimate troll job.

Honestly I have no idea how Sale would react. Part of me thinks it would throw him off his game cause he's in his own head a bit at times but the other part is like "it's chris sale, how off can he be with that stuff"?

I do think he'd come out perhaps over jacked and lack command like we see on occasion.

QUOTE (oldsox @ Feb 15, 2017 -> 08:44 PM)
Trust me on this: It will get better. When you're my age (kickin 80) you should be down to 120 or so per year. Naps will prevail.

And all the seasons start to run together and your favorite players have mostly gone to the great ballpark in the sky.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 15, 2017 -> 10:23 AM)
Chicago White Sox40 mins · “We don’t view it as everyone in that locker room needs to be moved to serve the next championship White Sox club. A lot of those players are hopefully going to play key roles on that next club." - Rick Hahn, who spoke with the media yesterday during Day 1 of #SoxSpringTraining.

That would include Anderson, Rodon, maybe Saladino and perhaps they get fortunate with a Tilson/Davidson type. If you stretch it Quintana, Jones and Abreu, but 2 if not 3 of those will need to be moved to get the requisite talent on hand to compete for a WS (unless the Sox drastically improve their drafting, evaluation, development and willingness to sign internationally).

There is absolutely no reason to bring up any of the top prospects this year. They would be a reversion to clowning 101.

Edited by GreenSox

Cubs are planning on using Schwarber in LF (LOL) and as an emergency catcher behind Contreras and Montero. I don't think the Cubs need to make any trades but after seeing Schwarber boot some balls in ST they might conclude that the best thing for Schwarber's career is to trade him to an AL club.

I'd like to see the Sox make a pitch for him if things turn in that direction.

Edited by miracleon35th

QUOTE (miracleon35th @ Feb 15, 2017 -> 11:29 PM)
Cubs are planning on using Schwarber in LF (LOL) and as an emergency catcher behind Contreras and Montero. I don't think the Cubs need to make any trades but after seeing Schwarber boot some balls in ST they might conclude that the best thing for Schwarber's career is to trade him to an AL club.

I told my Cub fan friends that I think his value will never be higher than it was this off-season. I really think having him play the OF with either further expose how inept he is on defense, hurting his value, or he will end hurting himself out there. I just feel like they should have traded him before he gets solidified as a DH-only guy.

QUOTE (ChiliIrishHammock24 @ Feb 15, 2017 -> 11:50 PM)
I told my Cub fan friends that I think his value will never be higher than it was this off-season. I really think having him play the OF with either further expose how inept he is on defense, hurting his value, or he will end hurting himself out there. I just feel like they should have traded him before he gets solidified as a DH-only guy.

Exactly, which is why he might be worth pursuing by an AL team like the White Sox once it becomes clear that he is basically a DH who cannot be an effective every day player at any position.

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ Feb 15, 2017 -> 10:26 PM)
Honestly I have no idea how Sale would react. Part of me thinks it would throw him off his game cause he's in his own head a bit at times but the other part is like "it's chris sale, how off can he be with that stuff"?

I do think he'd come out perhaps over jacked and lack command like we see on occasion.

Sale isn't good when he gets angry.

QUOTE (miracleon35th @ Feb 15, 2017 -> 11:29 PM)

Schwarber in the outfield will be ugly. He is a classic American League 1B/DH. Catching is out of the question, and he is a liability in the outfield.

I think it would be hard for the Cubs to trade such a valuable bat at this point in his career though.

QUOTE (ChiSoxFanMike @ Feb 15, 2017 -> 08:48 PM)
They are. It's the ultimate troll job.

Actually, its not a troll job as it was the plan prior to the trade lol they were going to wear those uniforms and honor that team or whatever that weekend, I think a holiday weekend. This was discussed on radio shows the day the trade happened.

Edited by soxfan2014

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Feb 16, 2017 -> 09:36 AM)
Actually, its not a troll job as it was the plan prior to the trade lol they were going to wear those uniforms and honor that team or whatever that weekend, I think a holiday weekend. This was discussed on radio shows the day the trade happened.

Now if they honored him and gave him one of those jersey's with his number on it...