2017 MLB Catch-All Thread

LittleHurt05

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jun 30, 2017 -> 10:27 AM)
I saw a graphic where MLB is on pace to break a record 6 years in a row for ABs that end with a walk or a k. Right now they are at 30%. It has to peak soon.

It's becoming a problem. It makes the games longer, and walks and strikeouts are pretty boring to most. They said this during the Red Sox game last night and were talking about millennials and there phones. Then they showed millennial after millennial in the stands paying no attention to the game and watching videos on their phones.

Yes...I've been saying for a while that the strikeout will be the death of baseball. Lots of people on this board thing it is an absurd statement, but 30% of at bats ending in two things that cause very little actual action / excitement is insane. I should point out, strikeouts with a bunch of runners on can actually be exciting (depending on the situation). But strikeouts / walks happening that often is a lot of time where nothing happens.

• Replies 560
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 5, 2017 -> 05:27 PM)
Yes...I've been saying for a while that the strikeout will be the death of baseball. Lots of people on this board thing it is an absurd statement, but 30% of at bats ending in two things that cause very little actual action / excitement is insane. I should point out, strikeouts with a bunch of runners on can actually be exciting (depending on the situation). But strikeouts / walks happening that often is a lot of time where nothing happens.

Eventually I think they'll either lower the mound or move it back. I agree that something has to be done. The velocity certainly isn't going anywhere.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 5, 2017 -> 05:27 PM)

Maybe there are things changing. Astros seemed to think the lack of contact was in fact reducing their runs scored and got rid of decent but high K players like Castro and Rasmus and replaced with McCann and Beltran, and are now a juggernaut offense. Between that and royals teams may care more about it.

But your point was really driven home to me when I was watching some Jimmy Piersall called games on youtube. The pitches are coming so fast, there was constantly something going on and the announcers suddenly had 3-4 minutes long dead air as opposed to 30-40 now.

If we speed up pitches, pitchers are saying it would lower velocity. It seemed like it would all work out except the pitch clock in the minors has suddenly stopped doing much. Not sure how mlb solves this.

QUOTE (flavum @ Jun 30, 2017 -> 06:53 AM)
Interleague is half over,

AL- 85

NL- 65

Since this, 17-8 in favor of the NL.

AL- 93

NL- 82

By division:

AL East 42-28

AL Cent 18-31

AL West 33-23

NL East 26-34

NL Cent 23-34

NL West 33-25

Edited by flavum

I've been watching a lot of Cardinal games the past month or two and that inspired me to take a deeper look into their org through Baseball America, Fangraphs and Baseball Prospectus. And there's not a lot of high end, young talent in their org. Look at the ML club and there is a lot of guys who are over 30 making anywhere from $10M to $20M a season.

I think its time for the Cardinals to tear it down and stock up on high end athletic talent. The future for them in my opinion is pretty grim, especially with the Cubs and Brewers expected to run that division for a while.