Lopez/Giolito/Kopech/Moncada/Fulmer sent down

southsider2k5

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Chicago White Sox @whitesox

now

The #WhiteSox also have reassigned left-handed pitchers Cory Luebke and Matt Purke to minor-league camp.

Scott Merkin @scottmerkin

now

The White Sox have 34 players remaining in Major League camp: 15 pitchers, three catchers, 11 infielders and five outfielders.

Edited by Sleepy Harold

QUOTE (Sleepy Harold @ Mar 28, 2017 -> 09:46 AM)
Chicago White Sox @whitesox

now

The #WhiteSox also have reassigned left-handed pitchers Cory Luebke and Matt Purke to minor-league camp.

Scott Merkin @scottmerkin

now

The White Sox have 34 players remaining in Major League camp: 15 pitchers, three catchers, 11 infielders and five outfielders.

Luebke a bit of surprise. Going with only 1 lefty?

QUOTE (fathom @ Mar 24, 2017 -> 10:26 AM)
Sounds like Giolito was horrible in his minor league start earlier in the week. Unless he gets more velocity or alters his fastball grip/angle, I don't see him being an impact pitcher

http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/1898047...lito-worth-hype

Hot damn, we love to jump to early conclusions. LOL

QUOTE (Sleepy Harold @ Mar 28, 2017 -> 09:58 AM)
Dan Hayes @CSNHayes

now

Bullpen battle down to Michael Ynoa, Anthony Swarzak, Dylan Covey and Zack Burdi. Juan Minaya is still in camp but injured. #WhiteSox

I have to imagine that Covey is a slam dunk as the 5th starter until Rodon is back.

QUOTE (Sleepy Harold @ Mar 28, 2017 -> 09:58 AM)
Dan Hayes @CSNHayes

now

Bullpen battle down to Michael Ynoa, Anthony Swarzak, Dylan Covey and Zack Burdi. Juan Minaya is still in camp but injured. #WhiteSox

Assuming Rodon starts on DL, 3 of the 4 of those have to make the squad no? 1 as the 5th starter, and 2 in the bullpen.

So probably Ynoa (for sure), Covey and Swarzak.

QUOTE (shipps @ Mar 28, 2017 -> 10:03 AM)
Hot damn, we love to jump to early conclusions. LOL

Agreed

Judging Giolito based only on very limited spring training performance is a big mistake

He is not a finished product and really could use a full season at AAA to develop

Sox are going to be patient with all these prospects, and fans need to understand that going through adversity is part of what young players need to learn to handle

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Mar 28, 2017 -> 10:36 AM)
Agreed

Judging Giolito based only on very limited spring training performance is a big mistake

He is not a finished product and really could use a full season at AAA to develop

Sox are going to be patient with all these prospects, and fans need to understand that going through adversity is part of what young players need to learn to handle

Which is literally WHY HE IS A PROSPECT.

Did we expect everyone to come over in these deals and start producing right away? Or look like a close to finished product? Of course not every PROSPECT is going to come blazing away or have life to every breaking ball. This is a process. Its going to be hard for Sox fans to grasp this concept when so much is hinging upon the success of the guys that come over but we cant hang on every outing or every scouting report that changes with the wind.

QUOTE (shipps @ Mar 28, 2017 -> 10:42 AM)
Which is literally WHY HE IS A PROSPECT.

Did we expect everyone to come over in these deals and start producing right away? Or look like a close to finished product? Of course not every PROSPECT is going to come blazing away or have life to every breaking ball. This is a process. Its going to be hard for Sox fans to grasp this concept when so much is hinging upon the success of the guys that come over but we cant hang on every outing or every scouting report that changes with the wind.

Spring training performance is an awful method to evaluating a player, good or bad

As long as the player does not get injured it is a successful spring training. It's important to withhold judgement until much further into the season for all these players

Repeat after me: WE HAVE TO BE PATIENT. SOME GUYS WILL TAKE TIME TO BE GOOD. With Giolito, the Nats messed around with his delivery. Idk why the Sox don't watch video of when he was throwing 98 and go back to that. Just let the guy do what feels natural. We all saw how that worked on the North Side with Arrieta. It will take time for him to refine his mechanics to where he and/or the Sox want them, because they are fairly complex. NOT EVERYONE WILL BE HERE AND PRODUCING RIGHT AWAY.

Edited by Elgin Slim

QUOTE (Elgin Slim @ Mar 28, 2017 -> 11:32 AM)
Repeat after me: WE HAVE TO BE PATIENT. SOME GUYS WILL TAKE TIME TO BE GOOD. With Giolito, the Nats messed around with his delivery. Idk why the Sox don't watch video of when he was throwing 98 and go back to that. Just let the guy do what feels natural. We all saw how that worked on the North Side with Arrieta. It will take time for him to refine his mechanics to where he and/or the Sox want them, because they are fairly complex. NOT EVERYONE WILL BE HERE AND PRODUCING RIGHT AWAY.

Why? Because it isn't that easy, or everyone would do it.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 28, 2017 -> 11:57 AM)
Why? Because it isn't that easy, or everyone would do it.

I know that. But they should at least try. If it doesn't work, it doesn't work. But that should be the first course of action. If they get half of the velocity he lost back by doing that they won. I said that Giolito's mechanics are complex. I know that getting them exactly where they were will likely be very difficult. He is exhibit A for "if it ain't broke, don't fix it"

Edited by Elgin Slim

QUOTE (Elgin Slim @ Mar 28, 2017 -> 12:15 PM)
I know that. But they should at least try. If it doesn't work, it doesn't work. But that should be the first course of action. If they get half of the velocity he lost back by doing that they won. I said that Giolito's mechanics are complex. I know that getting them exactly where they were will likely be very difficult.

I would be pretty certain that Coop has and will try this approach. What would make you think he hasnt or wouldnt?

QUOTE (shipps @ Mar 28, 2017 -> 12:21 PM)
I would be pretty certain that Coop has and will try this approach. What would make you think he hasnt or wouldnt?

I don't think so because Giolito has done a bunch of interviews and has not mentioned it. Maybe they are waiting for him to have success first? I would hope that the AAA pitching instructor and Coop are coordinating this currently.

Edited by Elgin Slim

QUOTE (Elgin Slim @ Mar 28, 2017 -> 12:15 PM)
I know that. But they should at least try. If it doesn't work, it doesn't work. But that should be the first course of action. If they get half of the velocity he lost back by doing that they won. I said that Giolito's mechanics are complex. I know that getting them exactly where they were will likely be very difficult. He is exhibit A for "if it ain't broke, don't fix it"

Don Cooper is all about simple mechanics. If you read about his approach, that just screams out at how they approach pitchers. You always see them talking about standing tall and working downhill. Instead of working with arm angles, they move them around the rubber to adjust the pitching approach angles. Trust me when I say the White Sox were on this the day they traded for the kid.

Fulmer threw 81% strikes in MLB games this spring. In MLB last year, he threw 57% strikes. Seems to me there was a concerted effort to make him throw as many strikes as he possibly could muster. Whereas some players may be told to throw a bunch of curveballs or changeups until they get a feel for it, it seems like the Sox must have told Fulmer to throw strikes until he has a feel for it.

I still feel like the tell-all for Giolito will be velocity. That's always been his game, where all his stuff plays off the fact that the hitter is worrying about 96 coming hard as s***. If this velocity never comes back then he's basically starting over as a crafty guy, which he's never been.

All this talk about switching mechanics, getting back to basics etc. makes the conspiracy theorist in me worry a bit because batters are teeing off on his arsenal.

Totally understand this is super premature. I just hope he can start lighting up the gun soon.