David Robertson

Jose Abreu

QUOTE (shipps @ Apr 24, 2017 -> 11:01 AM)
I am not sure I would even seriously consider the Nats after what happened publicly on the last trade. I really think they would be gun shy with giving up the talent that Hahn will ask for considering the Eaton trade. Whether that turns out to be a heavily favored trade for the Sox or not has yet to be seen but I still think it hinders the Nats on going all out for Robertson. Whether it was a good trade for them or not they looked really unsure of themselves after it went down which gave the feel like they realized they made a huge mistake. It may have been far from the truth but that sure as hell what it looked like. They dont anything like that to happen again.

Eaton has a near .400 OBP and has been hitting a lot of doubles. I think they have whatever cover they needed for that deal, especially with Giolito's struggles.

• Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Apr 24, 2017 -> 11:11 AM)
Eaton is crushing it right now. I think the Nats are quite happen they made the deal they did make. Prospect evaluators loved the deal for the Sox, but that is because everyone viewed Gio as being this can't miss prospect...reality is there is a lot of work/risk related to Gio and that in and of itself lowers the deal. Eaton is proving last season wasn't a fluke and he has been extremely valuable for the Nats. OPS is above where it was last year, OBP right around .400 (and this is coming off a bit of a slump). Signed for a long time at a bargain rate. They do need to get him back to a corner outfield spot where his defense goes back to being a major plus...but that will likely happen next year.

I think even more so than that it's the fact that Eaton isn't a "name" so people didn't realize what they were trading for in him. Him crushing it to start the season is a good way to settle down the public outrage and I'm guessing that isn't much of an issue anymore.

Edited by Rowand44

Eaton playing well helps but the fact that Lopez and Dunning are crushing it as well when they were the secondary and third pieces to the trade it may still be lopsided. We wont know for some time though. I just think the previous trade with them does play a role in how they approach making a trade for Robertson and it wouldnt be in a good way for the Sox.

Is that not fair to think?

QUOTE (bmags @ Apr 24, 2017 -> 10:34 AM)
This is not realistic.

Yah, probably a player too rich, but none of those guys are top 100 prospects or really all that exciting. Probably more likely something like Soto and Severino. That said, Nats have basically no leverage, and if DRob keeps pitching well, someone is going to offer more than a lottery ticket OF that is years away, but intriguing, and a guy that will be a ML backup catcher.

QUOTE (shipps @ Apr 24, 2017 -> 11:18 AM)
Eaton playing well helps but the fact that Lopez and Dunning are crushing it as well when they were the secondary and third pieces to the trade it may still be lopsided. We wont know for some time though. I just think the previous trade with them does play a role in how they approach making a trade for Robertson and it wouldnt be in a good way for the Sox.

Hard to say Lopez has been "crushing it".

Lopez isn't crushing it right now though Dunning definitely is. I think it's a fair thought and it was something I definitely thought about during the off season but like I said in my last post I think the fact that Eaton is killing it right now will relieve those doubts.

Edited by Rowand44

I guess I just think the Nats getting killed for that trade was overblown, but especially when Eaton is providing exactly what they wanted on a team that will be in a penant race. They moved Turner to his preferred position, and replaced that poor SS production with a high OBP offensive force.

I still think that trade was even and exactly what I expected for 5 years of cheap eaton.

QUOTE (bmags @ Apr 24, 2017 -> 11:30 AM)
I guess I just think the Nats getting killed for that trade was overblown, but especially when Eaton is providing exactly what they wanted on a team that will be in a penant race. They moved Turner to his preferred position, and replaced that poor SS production with a high OBP offensive force.

I still think that trade was even and exactly what I expected for 5 years of cheap eaton.

It was totally over blown and we all kind of knew that at the time. We couldnt possibly know who got the better of that deal or any other deals until it plays out. Some people were acting like it was an absolute steal before anything even played out which was ridiculous.

QUOTE (shipps @ Apr 24, 2017 -> 11:50 AM)
It was totally over blown and we all kind of knew that at the time. We couldnt possibly know who got the better of that deal or any other deals until it plays out. Some people were acting like it was an absolute steal before anything even played out which was ridiculous.

Mainly because Adam Eaton is a criminally underrated player. Most good baseball fans don't even know how good he is, let alone the causal follower.

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Apr 24, 2017 -> 11:57 AM)
Mainly because Adam Eaton is a criminally underrated player. Most good baseball fans don't even know how good he is, let alone the causal follower.

The Nats side of the deal is a safer bet than the Sox

Eaton is likely to be a quality player over the next few seasons, while the prospects are unknowns

http://www.milb.com/player/index.jsp?sid=t...tching/2017/ALL

A quick glance at his stats, and it looks like the homerun is killing Lopez so far. I still love him as a prospect though.

QUOTE (Soha @ Apr 24, 2017 -> 12:54 PM)
http://www.milb.com/player/index.jsp?sid=t...tching/2017/ALL

A quick glance at his stats, and it looks like the homerun is killing Lopez so far. I still love him as a prospect though.

1.62 WHIP at AAA is pretty terrible. But its a SSS, and I expect him to continue to improve.

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Apr 24, 2017 -> 01:13 PM)
1.62 WHIP at AAA is pretty terrible. But its a SSS, and I expect him to continue to improve.

Bad numbers so far, but it's still very early in the season to be making any judgements

QUOTE (Sleepy Harold @ Apr 26, 2017 -> 04:34 PM)
MLBRosterMoves @MLBRosterMoves

1m

.@Nationals place RHP Koda Glover (left hip impingement) on 10-day DL, recall LHP Matt Grace from Triple-A Syracuse.

The hits keep coming for their pen.

A thin bullpen is a recipe for playoff disaster

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Apr 27, 2017 -> 09:37 AM)
Unless of course they make a desperation type of offer.

Kinda doubting Robertson ends up in Washington at this point. If a deal was going to happen it likely would have happened already.

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Apr 27, 2017 -> 02:00 PM)
Kinda doubting Robertson ends up in Washington at this point. If a deal was going to happen it likely would have happened already.

It was reported like a week ago that they've been in constant contact. Just need Kelley and Glover to fail.

Edited by soxfan2014

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Apr 27, 2017 -> 02:00 PM)

I think they were willing to give their in-house options a try and didn't want to trade more prospects after already depleting their system. But as we get closer to the deadline they'll probably change their tune if the bullpen troubles continue.

QUOTE (OmarComing25 @ Apr 27, 2017 -> 02:22 PM)
I think they were willing to give their in-house options a try and didn't want to trade more prospects after already depleting their system. But as we get closer to the deadline they'll probably change their tune if the bullpen troubles continue.

Exactly. Nothing wrong with seeing what you have before making a big decision like trading even more prospects.