David Robertson

Jose Abreu

QUOTE (shipps @ Apr 17, 2017 -> 04:03 PM)
One thing that is already driving me crazy is the notion of whenever a player has a good game or week the tendency of a bunch of fans to say TRADE HIM NOW like that is at all the way that things work, especially two weeks into the season.

Robertson's contract will look more palatable at the trade deadline to a contending team in need of bullpen help

Washington makes too much sense, but they are totally unwilling at this point to trade more of their top prospects

• Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Apr 17, 2017 -> 04:05 PM)
Robertson's contract will look more palatable at the trade deadline to a contending team in need of bullpen help

Washington makes too much sense, but they are totally unwilling at this point to trade more of their top prospects

Nothing is going to happen until we get to at least striking distance of the trade deadline but we are going to have guys screaming trade _____fill in the blank every time someone on the suck list has a good week. Its going to be the theme of this first half, me thinks.

QUOTE (shipps @ Apr 17, 2017 -> 04:03 PM)
One thing that is already driving me crazy is the notion of whenever a player has a good game or week the tendency of a bunch of fans to say TRADE HIM NOW like that is at all the way that things work, especially two weeks into the season.

Realistically, no one is being traded until at least June. Even with the big old neon SELLERS sign facing the Dan Ryan, the Sox need dance partners, and the dance has just begun. None of the cool people will be showing up for hours.

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ Apr 17, 2017 -> 05:52 PM)
He looks good and he looks healthy. Positive vibes so far from pretty much the entire pitching staff other than Q.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2704212...-about-for-2017

I don't think the Sox will move Robertson and pick up salary unless the return is better than this article is suggesting. Robertson could be one of the best relievers available at the deadline and it would be foolish to waste that trade chip right now for the sake of making a deal

Plus, since when are players like Kieboom and Voth untouchable?

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Apr 18, 2017 -> 02:35 PM)
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2704212...-about-for-2017

I don't think the Sox will move Robertson and pick up salary unless the return is better than this article is suggesting. Robertson could be one of the best relievers available at the deadline and it would be foolish to waste that trade chip right now for the sake of making a deal

Plus, since when are players like Kieboom and Voth untouchable?

Lol, especially Voth? Seriously? No biggie, they can keep him , it's just the notion that makes me laugh. If the Nat's think they will get Robertson that cheap, they won't be acquiring him. Would love to snag Juan Soto and Blake Perkins from Washington.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Apr 19, 2017 -> 10:39 PM)
Lol, especially Voth? Seriously? No biggie, they can keep him , it's just the notion that makes me laugh. If the Nat's think they will get Robertson that cheap, they won't be acquiring him. Would love to snag Juan Soto and Blake Perkins from Washington.

Soto & Kieboom sounds great to me.

QUOTE (beautox @ Apr 19, 2017 -> 10:41 PM)
Soto & Kieboom sounds great to me.

If Robertson continues to be solid that won't be considered too high of an asking price in July. The longer Washington waits, the higher the price gets and the better chances of other teams getting into the mix.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Apr 19, 2017 -> 10:52 PM)
If Robertson continues to be solid that won't be considered too high of an asking price in July. The longer Washington waits, the higher the price gets and the better chances of other teams getting into the mix.

I kind of doubt the price gets higher, but that teams will finally be willing to meet the Sox price. it is the bids that will go up, not the offer.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 20, 2017 -> 07:54 AM)
I kind of doubt the price gets higher, but that teams will finally be willing to meet the Sox price. it is the bids that will go up, not the offer.

Agree with this. Just glad we've moved out of the "Robertson for Severino" territory here.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Apr 20, 2017 -> 10:11 AM)
People undervalue relievers until their team needs one.

I love that the Nationals and Rangers are already on their second closers of the season just over 2 weeks into the season. And Bush, the current Rangers reliever, is dealing with arm trouble so they could potentially be on #3 before too long.

Edited by soxfan2014

QUOTE (daggins @ Apr 20, 2017 -> 10:17 AM)
The Rangers aren't likely to be buyers unless they rebound pretty quickly. They're looking more like the ill fated injury prone team from a couple years ago and less like the world beaters from 2016.

I feel like you could be right and they could potentially make a desperation move to sure up there bullpen by making an early deal for a closer as well.

QUOTE (ChiSoxFanMike @ Apr 20, 2017 -> 10:26 AM)
Would a 2 player package of Juan Soto and Andrew Stevenson be too much to ask for Robertson? Those guys are really intriguing.

I remember seeing the question posed in a Fangraphs chat and the guy thought that without significant salary eating, Robertson wouldn't return a top 100 guy. I tend to agree, so yes.

QUOTE (daggins @ Apr 20, 2017 -> 10:31 AM)
I remember seeing the question posed in a Fangraphs chat and the guy thought that without significant salary eating, Robertson wouldn't return a top 100 guy. I tend to agree, so yes.

I don't know what the Sox are thinking, but I wouldn't mind them eating cash if it meant receiving the best possible package. It seems like they've shown a willingness to eat money in recent years so who knows.

QUOTE (daggins @ Apr 20, 2017 -> 10:31 AM)

Neither player listed is a Top 100 player. Soto isn't even a top 10 guy for Washington.

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Apr 20, 2017 -> 10:34 AM)
I don't know what the Sox are thinking, but I wouldn't mind them eating cash if it meant receiving the best possible package. It seems like they've shown a willingness to eat money in recent years so who knows.

I hope so. If Robertson continues to be terrific and the Sox eat maybe 5-6 million left on the deal, I could see Soto + a lottery ticket as a possible deal.