David Robertson

Jose Abreu

QUOTE (Sox-35th @ Apr 16, 2017 -> 11:34 PM)
I enjoy baseball and I'm glad they're winning, but the plan is the plan. They're one game over 500. Someone remind me our record last year after 35 games

LOL at 'the plan.' Great win! Go Sox!

• Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Apr 17, 2017 -> 01:57 AM)
That's right I am. I guess if negativity is your thing then go for it

I respect you, elrockin. I wish I could be the same type fan you are. You love the guys wearing the Sox jersey and want 'em to win no matter if they are retread bums in a uniform during a so called "rebuild" or if they are excellent players like the Big Hurt, Dye, AJP, Ventura, Dick Allen, Ray Durham, Mark Buehrle, the list goes on. El Rockin fan club here!

You should post more, El Rockin, but not just one liners cheering for a win. We want more El Rockin!

QUOTE (Thad Bosley @ Apr 15, 2017 -> 05:07 PM)
Sadly, sometimes you do have to play baseball with a primary purpose of trading your good players, when your plans for trying to win with those players have failed so miserably. Wouldn't it have been nice if the owner and his current management team could have figured out a way in the past several years to make the kinds of decisions that would have resulted in success on the field which would have avoided the need to discuss having to trade these players now?

Based on your consistent commentary on the matter, you are obviously content with any form of baseball, winning or losing, as long as it has the White Sox stamp on it. That's fine for those who set the bar as low as you seemingly do, but for those who would like to return to the ranks of the winning, you should probably pull back on the criticism of those who don't share your willingness to tolerate the lack of winning of this franchise.

Or maybe some people enjoy the game of baseball and not just winning. There are some people who don't care about the White Sox and baseball only winning teams. I guess you set winning above all else and can't enjoy the game.

All of us should be okay with the rebuild, as long as they don't get impatient and screw it up by thinking guys like Avi Garcia and Matt Davidson are going to keep this up....or Shields and Holland, for example.

And it's way too premature to expect this team to end up at .500.

That said, Q/Anderson/Frazier/Cabrera/Abreu/Rodon haven't contributed much at all, and they were the heart of the team coming into the season. So that can cause you to be optimistic, if you want to get your hopes up. That and the fact that the Indians aren't running away with the division from the get go.

I was SORT OF pissed they weren't PHing for May, that Kevan Smith was bunting...but then you can at least cheer for guys like Kahnle and Ynoa. Robin Ventura would have put in another reliever there instead of Nate Jones, and we would have lost in the bottom of the inning, I'm 90-95% sure of that. Avi and Davidson continue to be feel good stories. Saladino, until recently. We have Asche and Jacob May to kick around if we want to do that, although they're basically sacrificial lambs.

Btw, now would be a good time to trade Melky Cabrera back to the Giants with their LF situation in disarray.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (Soha @ Apr 16, 2017 -> 07:54 PM)
The Cubs bullpen was gashed today. Hmm, Robertson for Happ? Ok I'm getting greedy here ;)

Be greedy, it's a good idea. I would probably s*** myself if the cubs were willing to trade Happ for Robertson, not that I expect them to. But hey, we can dream right?

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 17, 2017 -> 03:08 AM)
All of us should be okay with the rebuild, as long as they don't get impatient and screw it up by thinking guys like Avi Garcia and Matt Davidson are going to keep this up....or Shields and Holland, for example.

And it's way too premature to expect this team to end up at .500.

That said, Q/Anderson/Frazier/Cabrera/Abreu/Rodon haven't contributed much at all, and they were the heart of the team coming into the season. So that can cause you to be optimistic, if you want to get your hopes up. That and the fact that the Indians aren't running away with the division from the get go.

I was SORT OF pissed they weren't PHing for May, that Kevan Smith was bunting...but then you can at least cheer for guys like Kahnle and Ynoa. Robin Ventura would have put in another reliever there instead of Nate Jones, and we would have lost in the bottom of the inning, I'm 90-95% sure of that. Avi and Davidson continue to be feel good stories. Saladino, until recently. We have Asche and Jacob May to kick around if we want to do that, although they're basically sacrificial lambs.

Btw, now would be a good time to trade Melky Cabrera back to the Giants with their LF situation in disarray.

ESPN the Mag had a great article on bunting and now I'm convinced. NEVER BUNT AGAIN! Managers, please don't do it. It's proven it is a horrible strategy except in the NL where the pitcher will make an out anyway. NO BUNTING.

Look, this is why I'm for NO rebuilding. Look at the records of all teams in baseball this year. Look at batting averages! All teams are mediocre to crap with the shifts taking away any semblance of offense. You don't need to rebuild. You put together a .500 team and after that try to get it to .600 and you've got a WINNER.

Ridiculous to do this rebuild when the offensive players we acquire will be like today's offensive players: average to OK and totally paralyzed by shifting defenses.

DUMB to rebuild. You reload if you are the white Sox.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 16, 2017 -> 10:14 PM)
They already have Wade Davis rented for this ONE year...they're unlikely to hugely overpay for Robertson, especially after the Chapman deal last year.

Definitely unlikely, but you never know how things will develop. And Robertson has shown he can be an elite setup man as well.

What is a realistic return for Robertson at the deadline if he has a dominant first half? By dominant, I mean 90%+ in save opp, ERA

Could he net a top 25 prospect? A guy like Jimenez if the Cubs bullpen implosion continues and Davis gets hurt? Or a guy like Robles if the Nats feel they are a closer away from being a title contender?

Edited by JUSTgottaBELIEVE

QUOTE (JUSTgottaBELIEVE @ Apr 17, 2017 -> 09:24 AM)
What is a realistic return for Robertson at the deadline if he has a dominant first half? By dominant, I mean 90%+ in save opp, ERA

Could he net a top 25 prospect? A guy like Jimenez if the Cubs bullpen implosion continues and Davis gets hurt? Or a guy like Robles if the Nats feel they are a closer away from being a title contender?

If he is lights out the first half, I could see a back end top 25 guy, plus a an organizational 10-15 guy.

I don't think we'll be getting a top 10-12 guy, which is what Jimenez and Robles are. But I don't doubt that Rick will ask.

QUOTE (Soha @ Apr 16, 2017 -> 07:54 PM)
The Cubs bullpen was gashed today. Hmm, Robertson for Happ? Ok I'm getting greedy here ;)

That would be great, but I would even take Robertson for Candelario. I just hope we're past the lowball Pedro Severino scenarios.

QUOTE (Buehrlesque @ Apr 17, 2017 -> 10:11 AM)
That would be great, but I would even take Robertson for Candelario. I just hope we're past the lowball Pedro Severino scenarios.

I'm hoping the Cardinals get back in the wild card hunt. They have bullpen issues and I would love to see a Robertson for Kelly trade. I'd think this is something the Cardinals would definitely consider too if they are in the playoff race come July.

I don't think Happ is that outrageous. Robertson is not an elite closer, but he's at the next level. Happ, however, isn't an elite prospect - he, too, is at the next level.

Plus factor in that if the Cubs want a Sox player, they will pay a small premium.

Conclusion - not that unreasonable.

I expect, however, a 50-75 prospect for him. Happ is ahead of that.

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Apr 17, 2017 -> 02:26 PM)
I don't think Happ is that outrageous. Robertson is not an elite closer, but he's at the next level. Happ, however, isn't an elite prospect - he, too, is at the next level.

Plus factor in that if the Cubs want a Sox player, they will pay a small premium.

Conclusion - not that unreasonable.

I expect, however, a 50-75 prospect for him. Happ is ahead of that.

We are getting totally ahead of ourselves right now

Robertson has pitched an excellent 5 innings so far this season, but it's stiff such a small sample size that you cannot necessarily say "he's back" just yet

The pitching staff has overachieved the first two weeks of the season and is due for serious regression, especially from Holland and Shields

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Apr 17, 2017 -> 03:15 PM)

Robertson has pitched an excellent 5 innings so far this season, but it's stiff such a small sample size that you cannot necessarily say "he's back" just yet

The pitching staff has overachieved the first two weeks of the season and is due for serious regression, especially from Holland and Shields

In a case like Robertson it is much easier to assume that the fraction of a season where he was bad is the aberration versus this fraction of a season where he is more in line with the entire rest of his career.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 17, 2017 -> 03:18 PM)
In a case like Robertson it is much easier to assume that the fraction of a season where he was bad is the aberration versus this fraction of a season where he is more in line with the entire rest of his career.

Honestly, if you take away that game he shouldn't have pitched in KC last season, his era would have been close to a whole run less (I did the math and it was pretty close). Of course, his WHIP and K:BB also would have been better.

Edit: just crunched the numbers again. If you take away the 2/3 IP and the 6 ER, his era would have been 2.63 on the year which is .84 less than it ended up being.

Edited by soxfan2014

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Apr 17, 2017 -> 03:15 PM)

I'm pretty much assuming his career norms.

If he actually keeps this up, he is worth an elite prospect.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 17, 2017 -> 03:18 PM)

It's hard to assume trade value two weeks into the season, there's so much time for situations to change

Right now no team will be making trades barring a huge injury, it's just too early

Could Robertson be one of the better relief options on the market? Absolutely, and we should all hope that he is

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Apr 17, 2017 -> 04:00 PM)
It's hard to assume trade value two weeks into the season, there's so much time for situations to change

Right now no team will be making trades barring a huge injury, it's just too early

Could Robertson be one of the better relief options on the market? Absolutely, and we should all hope that he is

Sure, today he has zero trade value because there is no trade market. Realistically if you are tracking his value on the microticks of each outing, his value is going to be more towards his historical value with his value being re-established both by a strong finish, and a strong start to this season.

One thing that is already driving me crazy is the notion of whenever a player has a good game or week the tendency of a bunch of fans to say TRADE HIM NOW like that is at all the way that things work, especially two weeks into the season.