April 26th Game Thread: White Sox vs. KC Royals

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (bmags @ Apr 26, 2017 -> 05:23 PM)
Yeah, guys, we aren't going for it.

That said, I would have to imagine the two traits of teams that overachieve would have to be defense and relief pitching. Truly terrible teams always seem to have truly terrible bullpens. I imagine we will overperform our predictions if we really have two plus pitchers in Kahnle and swarzak (and Burdi on the way)

Coming into today the Sox were first in DER at like 74% of in play balls turned into outs. Defensively they'd been really solid. I don't think they will keep it up though.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Apr 26, 2017 -> 04:22 PM)
Ya until they starting selling off some pieces I think the bullpen is pretty darn legit.

The back of the pen is really good. Robertson-Jennings-Jones is pretty legit.

If you can put Putnam and Petricka healthy and in the middle innings, you go from a nice backend, to a pretty deep group. If not, then you move guys from the next tier into important roles.

Then you have the questions. Is Kahnle legit now after being awful last year? Will the old Swarzak show back up, or is this really him? Can Ynoa give the team solid innings?

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ Apr 26, 2017 -> 04:27 PM)
Coming into today the Sox were first in DER at like 74% of in play balls turned into outs. Defensively they'd been really solid. I don't think they will keep it up though.

This has largely been a result of our pitchers getting a good amount of ground outs and pop outs, and few line drives.

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ Apr 26, 2017 -> 04:27 PM)

Recently we have been too good at leading the league in DERP.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Apr 26, 2017 -> 04:22 PM)
Ya until they starting selling off some pieces I think the bullpen is pretty darn legit.

We are increasing the value of so many pieces right now. I hope they all continue to look legit and then we can flip everyone.

This is why the Sox should have tried it without a clown like Robin managing. We would have never had to rebuild. We had some decent teams on paper in the Robin era and sucked. This team's roster is a joke and the Sox are playing good baseball because we have a good manager to go with Coop.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (greg775 @ Apr 26, 2017 -> 08:59 PM)
This is why the Sox should have tried it without a clown like Robin managing. We would have never had to rebuild. We had some decent teams on paper in the Robin era and sucked. This team's roster is a joke and the Sox are playing good baseball because we have a good manager to go with Coop.

If they go 12-1 the next 13, they will be right on pace with last year's team.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Apr 27, 2017 -> 03:01 AM)
If they go 12-1 the next 13, they will be right on pace with last year's team.

I realize last year's 23-10 renders all discussion stupid at this stage of the season. I mean I wish I could remember last year's 23-10 and how sharp the Sox looked and how well they were playing. But I have no clue. Can't remember. This year's team obviously won't be 23-10. We'll be under .500 after 33 games obviously.

I get madder than anybody when the Sox anemic hitters get shut out and I expect us to get shut out a historic amount of times this year. But when Avi wins another game with his bat it does impress me. When this pathetic bullpen excels like this, I'm happy. And when some really horrible starters pitch this well, I'm ecstatic.

Right now I'm thrilled with Renteria. Again, after our 100th loss I'll be furious at him I'm sure, but the team sure looks interested under a real manager.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Apr 26, 2017 -> 09:38 PM)
I realize last year's 23-10 renders all discussion stupid at this stage of the season. I mean I wish I could remember last year's 23-10 and how sharp the Sox looked and how well they were playing. But I have no clue. Can't remember. This year's team obviously won't be 23-10. We'll be under .500 after 33 games obviously.

I get madder than anybody when the Sox anemic hitters get shut out and I expect us to get shut out a historic amount of times this year. But when Avi wins another game with his bat it does impress me. When this pathetic bullpen excels like this, I'm happy. And when some really horrible starters pitch this well, I'm ecstatic.

Right now I'm thrilled with Renteria. Again, after our 100th loss I'll be furious at him I'm sure, but the team sure looks interested under a real manager.

What a post!