2017 NFL Draft Thread

• Replies 479
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bears selected Ashland TE Adam Shaheen with the No. 45 overall pick of the 2017 NFL draft

Shaheen (6’7/278) played college hoops at Pittsburgh-Johnstown in 2013 before walking onto Ashland’s football team and tallying a career 129-1,755-26 (13.6 YPR) receiving line, then turning pro as a redshirt junior. A terrific athlete for his size, Shaheen turned in 73rd-percentile SPARQ results with 4.79 speed before the draft. Shaheen was used extensively as a pass blocker at Ashland, dominating his lower-level competition as a true two-way tight end. Shaheen’s popular comparison among NFL scouts was Jason Witten. On tape, Shaheen exhibits a concerning lack of change-of-direction skills and is ultimately a big, stiff, straight-line athlete making a colossal jump in competition, albeit with more-than-adequate tools.

Per Rotoworld

DB's are going everywhere, but the Bears s***ty ass secondary.

Edited by Soxfest

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Apr 28, 2017 -> 07:24 PM)
So some reports say Shaheen is "baby gronk."

It seems the Bears are punting next year because its another player who is supposedly pretty raw with high upside.

Ryan Pace is that guy in your fantasy draft who thinks he has all the sleeper picks that nobody expects. Hopefully he is that smart, if not there will be a new GM search in about 18 months.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Apr 28, 2017 -> 07:30 PM)
Ryan Pace is that guy in your fantasy draft who thinks he has all the sleeper picks that nobody expects. Hopefully he is that smart, if not there will be a new GM search in about 18 months.

To be fair, he had a very, very good draft last year.

QUOTE (Tony @ Apr 28, 2017 -> 07:34 PM)
If you went all in on Mitch, and clearly Pace did, it's only smart to put the best pieces around him.

The only problem I have with the pick is your adding a raw TE with an inexperienced QB.

That being said, the Bears may as well go 0-16 next year and then get 2 1sts + 2nds + from whoever wants Darnold.

I personally think Pace is being too cute with these picks, but at least this TE has a lot of people excited about his upside. The problem is that hes like either going to be really good or completely overwhelmed. Just no way to tell.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Apr 28, 2017 -> 07:39 PM)
The only problem I have with the pick is your adding a raw TE with an inexperienced QB.

That being said, the Bears may as well go 0-16 next year and then get 2 1sts + 2nds + from whoever wants Darnold.

I personally think Pace is being too cute with these picks, but at least this TE has a lot of people excited about his upside. The problem is that hes like either going to be really good or completely overwhelmed. Just no way to tell.

If we go 0-16, we should draft Darnold and then trade Mitch for picks.

QUOTE (Boogua @ Apr 28, 2017 -> 07:32 PM)
To be fair, he had a very, very good draft last year.

He did. Especially if Floyd can stay healthy.

But that Floyd pick is a perfect example. Pace thought he was worthy of that high of a pick when no one else seemed to think so. Looks like Pace was right, Hopefully he is right a lot more.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Apr 28, 2017 -> 07:54 PM)
He did. Especially if Floyd can stay healthy.

But that Floyd pick is a perfect example. Pace thought he was worthy of that high of a pick when no one else seemed to think so. Looks like Pace was right, Hopefully he is right a lot more.

I remember reading that the Bears had to trade up to 9 because it was almost a certainty that the Giants were going to take him at 10.

QUOTE (Tony @ Apr 28, 2017 -> 07:34 PM)
If you went all in on Mitch, and clearly Pace did, it's only smart to put the best pieces around him.

And punt next year...

Like I said earlier, I don't have a strong opinion either way on Tribusky but if anything Pace definitely has a plan. Now you Bears fans get to wait and see. :)

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Apr 29, 2017 -> 12:21 AM)
Supposedly, Trubisky got booed at the Bulls game. If true, that is f***ing disgraceful.

Ha! They are willing to spend money to go and blindly cheer for a team like the Bulls yet boo a guy most have never seen play?

Not that is matters but I am taking names and notes of the past couple days. Mitch might not turn out but I want to know who's opinion I will no longer trust if he does LOL.

QUOTE (shipps @ Apr 29, 2017 -> 08:46 AM)
Ha! They are willing to spend money to go and blindly cheer for a team like the Bulls yet boo a guy most have never seen play?

Not that is matters but I am taking names and notes of the past couple days. Mitch might not turn out but I want to know who's opinion I will no longer trust if he does LOL.

Oh, come on. Nothing the Bears have done in the last 25 years has been accurate. Even a blind squirrel finds a nut every once in a while. I really liked Pace's drafts in 2015 and 2016. People blame him for White. That one I chalk up to s*** happens. Dude was injured in rookie minicamp. Not much you can do about that. I am complaining about Pace because I can't stand this draft. It is completely counter of my opinion on him. He's doing s*** that dumb GMs do. Inexcusable s*** that sets a franchise back half a decade. He talked about taking a QB every year, took one high...That seems completely counter to his opinions. I hope that there is a day where QBs are NEVER taken in the 1st round. The position is too much of a crapshoot. I don't care that a guy took Aaron Rodgers or Peyton Manning. It is pure dumb luck every time there is one that turns out, 2/3 of the QBs that won 4 Super Bowls are 3rd round or later picks, that tells me all I need to know.

Edited by Jack Parkman

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Apr 29, 2017 -> 12:21 AM)
Supposedly, Trubisky got booed at the Bulls game. If true, that is f***ing disgraceful.

The Bulls as an organization are a disgrace, but their fans aren't much better (speaking as a Bulls fan)

The Fire Hoiberg chant is ridiculous, too.

QUOTE (Jack Parkman @ Apr 29, 2017 -> 09:48 AM)
Oh, come on. Nothing the Bears have done in the last 25 years has been accurate. Even a blind squirrel finds a nut every once in a while. I really liked Pace's drafts in 2015 and 2016. People blame him for White. That one I chalk up to s*** happens. Dude was injured in rookie minicamp. Not much you can do about that. I am complaining about Pace because I can't stand this draft. It is completely counter of my opinion on him. He's doing s*** that dumb GMs do. Inexcusable s*** that sets a franchise back half a decade. He talked about taking a QB every year, took one high...That seems completely counter to his opinions. I hope that there is a day where QBs are NEVER taken in the 1st round. The position is too much of a crapshoot. I don't care that a guy took Aaron Rodgers or Peyton Manning. It is pure dumb luck every time there is one that turns out, 2/3 of the QBs that won 4 Super Bowls are 3rd round or later picks, that tells me all I need to know.

I am upset that Pace despite playing lip service to it never got a big 10-12 player class or 7-8 with multiple 2nd or third rounders. His first year would have been prime to do that, accumulate future picks for years when your staff wasn't set. I like Trubisky, but we are always chasing, never with leverage.