How do you rate the rebuild so far?

caulfield12

Give your score  

114 members have voted

1. 1. Rank the effort so far, as it stands today

I've upgraded my score to an 9 thus far. I was skeptical about these trades getting done so quickly and brilliantly but Hahn did an excellent job. My only downside is I don't see Rutherford being any worth noting, hopefully he turns it on for good moving forward and avoids being Beckham 2.0. I'll give the rebuild a full 10 for its start once Carson Fulmer and Zach Collins are out of the top 10, as that would mean we are next level loaded.

QUOTE (SonofaRoache @ Jul 20, 2017 -> 09:41 AM)
I'll give the rebuild a full 10 for its start once Carson Fulmer and Zach Collins are out of the top 10, as that would mean we are next level loaded.

I think BA already has them out of the top ten

QUOTE (Sox-35th @ Jul 20, 2017 -> 12:30 PM)
That's what I figured and ALSO a reason I don't really consider Anderson's performance as part of the rebuild.

But SS is a prime spot so if Anderson doesn't make it then they will have to fill in via FA or a real high draft pick.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jul 20, 2017 -> 12:10 PM)
Tim Anderson just turned 24 years old. He's as much apart of this rebuild as anyone currently in the minor leagues.

Controllable for next what, 7 years? You gotta stick with him at SS through the rest of this year and likely all of 18 and see if there is any improvement there.

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Jul 20, 2017 -> 12:17 PM)
Controllable for next what, 7 years? You gotta stick with him at SS through the rest of this year and likely all of 18 and see if there is any improvement there.

Next 8 years, including 2017. They have options for 2023 and 2024. They'll stick with him for a while.

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Jul 20, 2017 -> 12:17 PM)

Right. If he is the only negative about this rebuild so far, we're in great shape.

Anderson's super young from an experience stand point as well. He's struggled at every level and has managed to make an adjustment at some point. I'm of the opinion TA will be fine and it's way too early to be freaking out about him. If he looks like this and his numbers are like this by this time next year then start freaking out.

Edited by Rowand44

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Jul 20, 2017 -> 01:22 PM)
Anderson's super young from an experience stand point as well. He's struggled at every level and has managed to make an adjustment at some point. I'm of the opinion TA will be fine and it's way too early to be freaking out about him. If he looks like this and his numbers are like this by this time next year then start freaking out.

I wouldn't even say next year. I'd say if there's no signs of improvement come 2019, then it's time to start worrying and trying to find alternatives. That puts him at 26 years old, so there's little room to grow beyond that point.

He is going to have to start drawing a few more walks, even if he just gets it to 5-6%, and it'd be ideal if he could cut his strikeout rate down by a few points too.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jul 20, 2017 -> 11:37 AM)
Well, yeah, and because he's a very talented player. They aren't going to sign a 34 year old to be the SS for a rebuilding club.

Well he hasn't proven the talented enough part yet. If he were a few years older he'd be on his way out like Avi. He is the short stop version of Avi.

QUOTE (SonofaRoache @ Jul 20, 2017 -> 12:27 PM)
Well he hasn't proven the talented enough part yet. If he were a few years older he'd be on his way out like Avi. He is the short stop version of Avi.

Avi is on the way out because....he's 26?

He is unlikely to go anywhere until he has another repeat season like this, in which case there would be equal arguments for an extension as for trading him with 1 1/3rd remaining years of control (same time next year).

QUOTE (SonofaRoache @ Jul 20, 2017 -> 01:27 PM)

I don't know what Tim Anderson you're looking at. The one I see shows a guy who is probably a .270/.300/.425 player with 15 HR and 30 SB at his peak with good defense, which is probably a 3.0 WAR player. Dude has struggled this year, but the talent is there. He's not the first guy to ever struggle in his second year in the majors. There is, afterall, a reason that the term sophomore slump exists.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jul 20, 2017 -> 01:34 PM)
I don't know what Tim Anderson you're looking at. The one I see shows a guy who is probably a .270/.300/.425 player with 15 HR and 30 SB at his peak with good defense, which is probably a 3.0 WAR player. Dude has struggled this year, but the talent is there. He's not the first guy to ever struggle in his second year in the majors. There is, afterall, a reason that the term sophomore slump exists.

Thank you, my good sir.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jul 20, 2017 -> 01:26 PM)
I wouldn't even say next year. I'd say if there's no signs of improvement come 2019, then it's time to start worrying and trying to find alternatives. That puts him at 26 years old, so there's little room to grow beyond that point.

He is going to have to start drawing a few more walks, even if he just gets it to 5-6%, and it'd be ideal if he could cut his strikeout rate down by a few points too.

All of this is fair. That said, I will personally be worried if he still looks like this next year. I'm patient but I'm also not patient which of course makes a ton of sense.

Dan Hayes was just sticking up for him on Twitter in regards to his off the field experiences and people wanting to send him down to Charlotte...he seems to think the only real way for TA to get back to his old self is to get through this season.

Hopefully with the offseason to go reflect on things, he will come back better focused next season.