Tebow

NCsoxfan

This is going to sound like a troll idea, but here goes. Deep breath, you guys are going to *crush* me. What would be the downside of trading for Tim Tebow and bringing him up in late August or early September?

It would (obviously) be 1000% a marketing move. Upside would be generating revenue for the team through ticket sales that could be used towards big ticket signings in the future. But on a team that's as terrible as this one, what is the downside really? Main argument is that we wouldn't want to be viewed as using celebrity power for ticket sales and a loss of respectibility.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Soxnfins @ Aug 6, 2017 -> 08:05 PM)
I don't think it's worth it. And at the moment, I'm just still bitter about my Dolphins signing Cutler (albeit did well with Gase) & even considering Tebow for a comeback to football. Already have one team that is being clowned on, don't need another.

Why would you be mad about that? He's better than Matt Moore and instantly becomes the 2nd best QB in the division

QUOTE (NCsoxfan @ Aug 7, 2017 -> 01:14 AM)
This is going to sound like a troll idea, but here goes. Deep breath, you guys are going to *crush* me. What would be the downside of trading for Tim Tebow and bringing him up in late August or early September?

It would (obviously) be 1000% a marketing move. Upside would be generating revenue for the team through ticket sales that could be used towards big ticket signings in the future. But on a team that's as terrible as this one, what is the downside really? Main argument is that we wouldn't want to be viewed as using celebrity power for ticket sales and a loss of respectibility.

I would definitely do it. He's not stealing at bats from any prospects in the OF as long as we have room for Delmonico somewhere every day. Bill Veeck would approve.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Aug 7, 2017 -> 02:02 AM)
Too disrespectful to the sport...the Sox never brought up Michael Jordan.

This would be more of an Eddie Gaedel/Minoso sideshow.

Didn't Minoso get a hit at age 60 or something? I don't know if it would be as bad as Eddie Gaedel.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Aug 6, 2017 -> 10:11 PM)
Why would you be mad about that? He's better than Matt Moore and instantly becomes the 2nd best QB in the division

Matt Moore is actually ok. Two different styles of arm though, ones got a pop gun arm, ones a gunslinger.

Edited by Soxnfins

We have a lot of guys in the minors who are not top prospects who are busting their ass as they watch players like Delmonico, Davidson, and Engel getting major shots at sticking as Major Leaguers.

Performing this gimmick is just a slap in the face to those guys.

Now, by all means, hire tebow to throw tshirts into the stands or heres an idea

Tebow starts halfway down third base line. Random fan gets to put on catching gear and see if they can hold onto the ball as tebow runs through them and tries to be safe at home.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Aug 6, 2017 -> 10:11 PM)

Jay Cutler is not a better QB than Tyrod Taylor. Tyrod isn't great, but Jay Cutler is not a good QB.

QUOTE (Jerksticks @ Aug 7, 2017 -> 12:53 PM)
Haha basically the only option here.

Tebow has almost a .350 OBP???

yep, and a .770 OPS in High A ball. I've got to admit, he's doing a lot better than I would've guessed.

Also, I agree, it's not worth the backlash and slap in the face to minor leaguers just to sell more tickets...

QUOTE (NCsoxfan @ Aug 6, 2017 -> 06:14 PM)

I hate this idea, and it has nothing to do with Tim Tebow the person.

Sox fans want a serious rebuild, not a sideshow joke. There are players killing for the opportunity to show what they can do in the major leagues, why bypass them for a celebrity that will never be a major league player?

I wouldn't hate the idea of having him in our farm system, although our lower levels are pretty full of interesting OFs, but there is no situation where I would be ok calling him up to the majors this season. Let him earn it before he gets called up. And if he is serious about this (which it seems like he is) he probably wouldn't want it either.

Tebow's a good guy and all...but our minor league guys are generating enough buzz as it is to put us on the map again. I'm already excited about the guys we have and those who are about to get their shot. Best of luck to Tim Tebow though--he's a good athlete and I hope he gets another shot to show it at the top level.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Aug 7, 2017 -> 03:42 PM)
Tyrod Taylor isn't that good. Jay Cutler blows.

Blows? That's kind of ridiculous. He's an above average NFL starting QB. Somewhere in that 14-20 range. I think Cutler is better than Tyrod Taylor is but that's definitely debatable.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Aug 7, 2017 -> 02:23 PM)
Blows? That's kind of ridiculous. He's an above average NFL starting QB. Somewhere in that 14-20 range. I think Cutler is better than Tyrod Taylor is but that's definitely debatable.

Jay Cutler is Javy Vasquez. Javy Vasquez is Jay Cutler. Tantalizing tools...mediocre results.