Sox not in teams watching Otani

southsider2k5

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Sep 3, 2017 -> 09:15 PM)
Literally can't get him ? He can still sign for 300K can't he ? I know it sounds ridiculous but in the context of the highest amount he can be offered it's not a big difference. If he becomes a major leaguer right away wouldn't his minimal salary be added to the bonus pool money and he would be under control for the normal amount of time? A promise to let him attempt to be an everyday player and starting pitcher seems like something that other teams wouldn't promise. Also do we think part of the offers to him will promise to extend or renegotiate his contract or is that not kosher ?

Right, $300k is what I meant by "penalty box money."

It's possible that he literally doesn't care about money at ALL and would sign for the minimum, but unless (1) the Sox are the ONLY team that will let him hit, or (2) he's REALLY excited about being part of a rebuild, we don't have anything to offer him that another more popular and more competitive team couldn't top.

Edited by Eminor3rd

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Sep 8, 2017 -> 04:11 PM)

It's possible that he literally doesn't care about money at ALL and would sign for the minimum, but unless (1) the Sox are the ONLY team that will let him hit, or (2) he's REALLY excited about being part of a rebuild, we don't have anything to offer him that another more popular and more competitive team couldn't top.

Yeah, I can't see any scenario where Otani signs here. We have nothing to offer him. No money, and no immediate chance to win. Even if he falls in love with Chicago, a team like the Cubs is a better fit.

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Sep 8, 2017 -> 02:30 PM)
I read the other day that the Yankees have traded for a decent amount slot money and now sit at around $8 million. They could be a team that can offer him DH at bats as well.

I think you should provide a link because my research show that's way off. http://pinstripedprospects.com/yankees-add...for-otani-24809

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Sep 8, 2017 -> 02:11 PM)

Which is why I said the Sox only had a 1% chance at him in a later post. Hey it's a lot better odds than winning the powerball jackpot . :P

QUOTE (Jerksticks @ Sep 13, 2017 -> 08:23 AM)
Can he sign for just a couple years or is he subject to the six years, arbitration etc.

If he signs he'll get a minor league deal and whatever bonus he agrees to under $10 million. Then he becomes a regular MLB player that needs to accrue 6 years of service time.

I get that the idea of being a hundred millionaire seems incredible, but this guy is going to be really rich no matter which way he chooses. The top Japanese players make like 5mill a year. If he bombs spectacularly he'll be able to go back to Japan and live like a rich person for the rest of his life.

On the other hand, he has this depreciating asset which he has no possibility of gaining later in life, unlike money. He only has 6-8 or so years in his athletic "prime". His dream is to prove he is the best. Wasting 25% of that time just so you can become unfathomably rich instead of incredibly rich? It's not that crazy.

QUOTE (bmags @ Sep 13, 2017 -> 09:55 AM)
I get that the idea of being a hundred millionaire seems incredible, but this guy is going to be really rich no matter which way he chooses. The top Japanese players make like 5mill a year. If he bombs spectacularly he'll be able to go back to Japan and live like a rich person for the rest of his life.

On the other hand, he has this depreciating asset which he has no possibility of gaining later in life, unlike money. He only has 6-8 or so years in his athletic "prime". His dream is to prove he is the best. Wasting 25% of that time just so you can become unfathomably rich instead of incredibly rich? It's not that crazy.

And if he lives up to the hype in MLB, he will become an even bigger legend in Japan. Which will lead to more and more money as well anyway.

I'm not aware of how lucrative sponsorships and endorsements are in Japan, but I'm guessing you can live off of them, much as you can in the States, and that says nothing of the same that he might be able to get here as well. LeBron James is worth $400 million and has "only" made $200 million from the NBA.

Otani can easily become unfathomably rich even if he comes over next year and "only" receives a $30 million signing bonus.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Sep 13, 2017 -> 10:08 AM)
I'm not aware of how lucrative sponsorships and endorsements are in Japan, but I'm guessing you can live off of them, much as you can in the States, and that says nothing of the same that he might be able to get here as well. LeBron James is worth $400 million and has "only" made $200 million from the NBA.

Otani can easily become unfathomably rich even if he comes over next year and "only" receives a $30 million signing bonus.

The max signing bonus he can get is less than $10mil and some are saying he might sign with a restricted team meaning he only gets $300K. But the point still stands, he will probably make a ton in endorsements right away.

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Sep 13, 2017 -> 10:14 AM)
You think teams would try to keep him in the minors for 10 days or whatever it is to get the extra year of control? I feel like a team would have to agree that they will put him on the opening day roster right away.

He's ready to play now. Keeping him in the minors for a year is way overvaluing 7 years from now over today. Doesn't make sense to me.

QUOTE (bmags @ Sep 13, 2017 -> 10:16 AM)
He's ready to play now. Keeping him in the minors for a year is way overvaluing 7 years from now over today. Doesn't make sense to me.

I didn't say keep him down for a year. Only the 9/10 days to get the 7th year equaling about 1 missed start. I don't think a team would do this either as it would probably be agreed upon that they wouldn't.

Edited by soxfan2014

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Sep 13, 2017 -> 10:14 AM)
You think teams would try to keep him in the minors for 10 days or whatever it is to get the extra year of control? I feel like a team would have to agree that they will put him on the opening day roster right away.

I would imagine that would be a part of the negotiations, and something that he wouldn't agree to.

In Dave Cameron's chat today he thinks NL teams have the advantage because AL teams would be too wary of promising him too many at bats at DH in case he flops as a hitter and they're stuck with a black hole in the lineup, whereas NL teams can let him pinch hit on his off days where the bar he needs to clear for hitting will be much lower. But even if he does suck as a hitter will the AL team be obligated to keep trotting him out there at DH? And if that's the case couldn't an AL rebuilding club just take that risk and guarantee him plenty of AB? If he flops at the plate initially it's no big deal to them.

Edited by OmarComing25

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Sep 6, 2017 -> 12:13 PM)
Hey maybe there was an ulterior motive to giving Anderson that contract. Call it the Otani Plan. It sets a precedent that you can extend a players contract with minimal servicetime where the league didn't step in and void it.

I know I am delusional but just because the most the Sox can offer is $300K shouldn't mean they shouldn't pursue their 1% shot at him. Life is often stranger than fiction. Ya never know.

Just as I suspected . This is from the Yahoo article :

Since the new rules regarding international players were announced, the question surrounding Otani has been some derivation of: How is he going to skirt them? Officials at MLB insist any effort to subvert the spirit of the rule will not be allowed. Would the league, for example, attempt to cancel a nine-figure contract extension for Otani if he stars in his first season? One official said precedent will matter, and any contract that doesn’t have a forebear will be considered a violation.

So the Sox set a precedent with how they extended Anderson. This appears to give the Sox some leverage. Might have to keep an eye on any team this winter that extends a rookie who has had a decent 1st year if

extending Otani's contract is judged on whether a team has extended a players contract after one season. So right now the Sox would hve a big advantage.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside