Abreu trade "unlikely"

Sleepy Harold

QUOTE (ptatc @ Nov 29, 2017 -> 12:11 PM)
Agreed. There is something to be said for having a veteran, talented, mature player in the clubhouse when they bring up a bunch of kids.

QUOTE (WhiteSoxLifer @ Nov 29, 2017 -> 12:18 PM)
The White Sox would love to keep Abreu as a leader . As Jon said they will listen and react if the package is robust with top talent.

https://twitter.com/MLBBruceLevine/status/935918427394408453

I think you guys are hinting at an important point here so I'm going to say it explicitly - the Red Sox clubhouse was supposedly a mess last year. Price was apparently the closest thing they had to a clubhouse leader last year and he became that by attacking the media. The Red Sox's young guys like Betts weren't able to step into those roles. So, "Guy who can be a strong clubhouse influence alongside a fairly young team" actually fits the Red Sox's needs quite well. Put him in alongside Alex Cora and you've built a different team right from the start.

• Replies 560
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (coco1997 @ Nov 29, 2017 -> 11:27 AM)
Gotta get Chavis back in any Abreu trade scenario with Boston. He's blocked by Devers at third and would be blocked by the guy he's getting traded for.

I'd agree. Chavis makes too much sense. But I DON'T think you can get JBJ and Chavis. OR Groome and Chavis.. So I think a deal will have to get creative.

I would be much more upset about Abreu being traded than any of the guys traded last year. However, I understand that as his current contract stands, he wouldn't be part of when the Sox would be contending. I think extending him for a couple years makes sense, especially to use him as a DH. I'd rather see him extended, but if there's a can't miss trade proposition, I would completely understand.

QUOTE (hi8is @ Nov 29, 2017 -> 12:35 PM)
I don't get the Chaves love... as a secondary piece for Abreu - hell yea... but not as the centerpiece... to me that would be too light. Can someone enlighten me please?

I don't understand the Chavis or Groome love either^

Chavis is not a good defensive player at third base and might have to move off the position. He has pop, but I'm just not sold on his big 2017 due to him putting up huge numbers in A+ ball. He really came back to earth after the AA promotion.

Groome does not really fit what we need. Sure, he has upside, but has yet to prove anything professionally. I wouldn't deal Abreu if either of these players were was the centerpiece. As a second piece, different story.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 29, 2017 -> 11:28 AM)
I think you guys are hinting at an important point here so I'm going to say it explicitly - the Red Sox clubhouse was supposedly a mess last year. Price was apparently the closest thing they had to a clubhouse leader last year and he became that by attacking the media. The Red Sox's young guys like Betts weren't able to step into those roles. So, "Guy who can be a strong clubhouse influence alongside a fairly young team" actually fits the Red Sox's needs quite well. Put him in alongside Alex Cora and you've built a different team right from the start.

If this is true, I can see why Boston would really like Abreu. It's also why he is worth a great deal to the White Sox. Boston will need to overwhelm Hahn to get it done.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 29, 2017 -> 11:28 AM)

Pedroia wasn't much of a leader last year during that whole Machado incident but he's always seemed like one. I think his teammates respect him.

QUOTE (WhiteSoxLifer @ Nov 29, 2017 -> 11:55 AM)
I hope this brings other teams like the Rockies around with more depth in the system. Rockies are losing cargo and could move Desmond to outfield and open up 1st base

They would be the ideal trade partner.. Give me Dahl please

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ Nov 29, 2017 -> 11:48 AM)
There are so many different cultures in a baseball locker room that being a clubhouse leader now a days to me is impossible. At a minimum the guy needs to be bilingual.

In the current climate of baseball it's more about how they act in the locker room and away from the stadium, not so much on the field. It's more act as I do not instruction about the game.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Nov 29, 2017 -> 12:58 PM)
I wouldn't be surprised if it is four teams. There's not a big market for first baseman again this year. If the Sox have four legit interested teams, that's a good thing.

I wouldn't be either. I just thought throwing out the "among the 4 teams interested" was odd as there was no mention of 4 teams talking to the Sox haha

Edited by soxfan2014

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Nov 29, 2017 -> 05:47 PM)
Can't wait for greg to see this lol

Why. I fully expect Jose to be traded after reading Dick Allen's comments from the Hahn speech. Jose is gone as is Avi.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Nov 29, 2017 -> 06:11 PM)
Agreed. There is something to be said for having a veteran, talented, mature player in the clubhouse when they bring up a bunch of kids.

Sox obviously don't care. Hahn is out to get that payroll down to the lowest imaginable then allegedly use that money when it's time.

Modern baseball. The only time in history teams are glad to get rid of players who are beloved and has THIS KIND of proven production. It used to be you'd keep such stars til they decided to retire.

Bye Jose and thanks for these numbers.

2014: .317, 36 HR, 107 RBI, .383 OBP, .581 SLG

2015: .290, 30 HR, 101 RBI, .347 OBP, .502 SLG

2016: .293. 25 HR, 100 RBI, .353 OBP, .468 SLG

2017: .304, 33 HR, 102 RBI, .354 OBP, .552 SLG.

Should be interesting to see what positions they target in this deal and Avi deal. Seems to me they already have a lot of outfield candidates especially with Robert and Eloy occupying two slots for many years in theory. My guess is they go for catcher, shortstop (upgrade from Tim is possible), and pile up more pitching. Look for catchers, shortstops and pitchers in teams organizations and that's who Abreu and Avi will be dealt for. You could say 3B as well but if that's the case why did they draft Burger? I guess they could stockpile another there and eventually release or trade my man, Davidson.