Abreu trade "unlikely"

Sleepy Harold

Groome, Chavis, and Ockimey?

Hard to imagine what a trade could be given what they have left and Groome being so young/far alway. Can’t see how an Abreu for JBJ trade makes sense, that’s only 1 year of added team control for Bradley vs Abreu right?

Edited by TheFutureIsNear

• Replies 560
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I feel like this is Hahn and DD using each other to leverage other deals. Hahn can go to the Cardinals or Rockies saying he has an offer for JBJ and Groome or Chavis and try to use the fact that he could get an established major leaguer to get better prospects. DD can use this to show the Marlins that they should move quickly and to hope someone on the 1B market decides to start the offseason before they know exactly what the market looks like.

I know we love Jose and most of appreciate what he has brought to our team but I am ecstatic that there is even this strong of a market for him right now. Considering last season there was close to none and leading up until now it seemed to be projecting to have very little of a market with all the other FA's and trades available out there.

QUOTE (shipps @ Nov 29, 2017 -> 11:04 AM)
I know we love Jose and most of appreciate what he has brought to our team but I am ecstatic that there is even this strong of a market for him right now. Considering last season there was close to none and leading up until now it seemed to be projecting to have very little of a market with all the other FA's and trades available out there.

It's surprising since there seems to be enough 1B out there for just money.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Nov 29, 2017 -> 10:53 AM)
I'm obviously pro-rebuild and also believe that the Sox still need more talent in the system to really do this right, but I don't like this fit. Obviously there's a price for any player, but I don't see anything left in the Red Sox system that would make sense. I've said it before, but I think Abreu is worth more to the White Sox than he is on the open market.

Agreed. There is something to be said for having a veteran, talented, mature player in the clubhouse when they bring up a bunch of kids.

JBJ is a guy controlled for an extra season who also could be extended, and since he is younger, maybe a better candidate for that. Premium GG quality defender up the middle. If you could get a good prospect or 2 with him, I have liked Abreu as much as anyone, but I'd make that deal in a heartbeat.

Jose could come back in 2 years and DH.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Nov 29, 2017 -> 11:13 AM)
JBJ is a guy controlled for an extra season who also could be extended, and since he is younger, maybe a better candidate for that. Premium GG quality defender up the middle. If you could get a good prospect or 2 with him, I have liked Abreu as much as anyone, but I'd make that deal in a heartbeat.

Heck, they could even flip Bradley if he has a year similar to 2016.

If Hahn has shown us anything in the last 12 months, it's that he won't budge on a move if he thinks he is not getting what his player is worth. Abreu is undervalued and is worth way more than what someone not in the Sox organization might think he is worth. He probably has 3 more seasons of .300 average, 30 homers and around 100 RBIs. The only way I see him going is if Hahn can get a deal done similar to Eaton and Sale.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Nov 29, 2017 -> 09:13 AM)

I agree with you. Premium position, spot where we don't necessarily have a top prospect who can slide in, and a guy you are more okay extending a couple years down the road given his age. We don't know exactly what type of player he can be...he could be as valuable (from a WAR perspective) as Abreu and it is easier to find a 1B then it is a CF.

QUOTE (Scoots @ Nov 29, 2017 -> 11:19 AM)
If Hahn has shown us anything in the last 12 months, it's that he won't budge on a move if he thinks he is not getting what his player is worth. Abreu is undervalued and is worth way more than what someone not in the Sox organization might think he is worth. He probably has 3 more seasons of .300 average, 30 homers and around 100 RBIs. The only way I see him going is if Hahn can get a deal done similar to Eaton and Sale.

He budged BIG TIME on the Yankees deal though... I'm still sad

QUOTE (cjgalloway @ Nov 29, 2017 -> 09:24 AM)
He better have really wanted him... I've yet to find someone who was super happy with that deal though (like the others)

While it wasn't as much of a slam dunk as the other trades - I was and still am happy with it.

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Nov 29, 2017 -> 11:25 AM)
If Rutherford came over and hit immediately, you would have no problem finding someone.

Right.. But even at the time of the deal most people thought it was really light. But anyways.. that's another discussion. Back to trading Abreu!

Abreu is a fine person, and seems to be taking over the leadership role quite well, but 2 years of control, with the team not in contention, makes you wonder. Someday, Ron will be correct, and Jose won't be worth his paycheck. Will he be like Carlton Fisk? Will he fall apart all at once like all of the Adams? I think you use the Dodgers old philosophy here and go with trading him a year too early is better than trading him a year too late. His stock isn't going higher.