White Sox vs Rays 1:10 pm

Kyyle23

• Replies 276
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Scoots @ Apr 10, 2018 -> 03:11 PM)
Do you really think that Kopech and Eloy will make that much of a difference though? I understand being excited to see them make their debuts and what not, but as far as team development goes, not sure it will be much more than what we are currently seeing. Unless this team gradually gets better as the year plays on.

I guess I also forgot about Rodon. Still though.

I think Fulmer, Lopez, and Giolito are all likely to get substantially stronger as the year goes on. All 3 of them need to work on repeating deliveries, being consistent, throwing strikes, and trusting their stuff. Working with Cooper and having outings in the big leagues will give them all a chance to do that.

QUOTE (flavum @ Apr 10, 2018 -> 03:07 PM)
It’s not a contest to be more cool and level headed as the next person. You can watch and get frustrated while knowing this season means nothing. Most people know that. But you’re the coolest. Congratulations.

It is also not a contest to see who can have the most dramatic reactions from pitch to pitch.

QUOTE (fathom @ Apr 10, 2018 -> 04:20 PM)
Do you think it's cause pitchers are more likely to throw offspeed pitches in those situations as they go for the strikeout?

I definitely think that is part of the problem....youth at the plate + offspeed pitches = bad combination. Last night was a prime example, for sure.

QUOTE (Tony @ Apr 10, 2018 -> 01:21 PM)
I'm not even specifically talking about Kopech and Eloy, but that will certainly help.

To me, it's 100% irresponsible and irrational as a fan to judge this team on April 10 in 34 degree weather. Do I think this White Sox team is bad? Yes. Do I think their play is also being affected by the weather? Yes.

I fully expect Moncada to develop over the year. Same for Nicky. Same for Tim. Same for Yolmer. Same for Giolito. Same for Lopez.

I want to see what happens when Kopech and Eloy come up. I want to see what Rodon looks like when he's back.

All those will keep me watching and as young players continue to develop and the weather heats up, I expect some better numbers and more enjoyable baseball.

+1

The thing about young teams is they feed off eachotehr good and bad. Except when they get cold, they all get cold together and for longer than when they get hot. But when they get hot it's something you can dream on.

QUOTE (bmags @ Apr 10, 2018 -> 09:26 PM)
The thing about young teams is they feed off eachotehr good and bad. Except when they get cold, they all get cold together and for longer than when they get hot. But when they get hot it's something you can dream on.

Feels like a team that when Abreu is going well, everyone else feeds off of it. Good news is Abreu is going well more than he's struggling.

QUOTE (Scoots @ Apr 10, 2018 -> 03:11 PM)
Do you really think that Kopech and Eloy will make that much of a difference though? I understand being excited to see them make their debuts and what not, but as far as team development goes, not sure it will be much more than what we are currently seeing. Unless this team gradually gets better as the year plays on.

I guess I also forgot about Rodon. Still though.

Eloy might have a chance to be a stud from day one. The odds are against it, but with his profile, maybe. Kopech still has some decent holes in his game which are covered up by going against minor league talent. I absolutely promise that Kopech will have his ups and downs for at least his first couple of years.

Though this is an interesting thing to note. As Kopech has struggled to put up innings because of injuries and issues from year to year (at least until 2017), he has almost the exact same number of IP in his professional career as Carson Fulmer does. I mean if that doesn't emphasize how much work Carson still has to do, I don't know what does.