Sox have team meeting after game

Kyyle23

3 minutes ago, aryzner said:

Folks, like it or not, this is what intentional losing looks like. I, for one, am taking it in stride this season. Still love the Sox, and I'm excited for when the minor league guys are finally up, be it later this season or next year (or further down the road in some cases).

Good post. I just hoped my team would not have to resort to intentional losing. Some of us don't care about picking 4th in the draft vs. 14th.

I have never believed that the Sox  players ever quit. They are competitive individuals trying to gell as a team. I know nothing about all this team control stuff as it concerns young players, but I do know that rushing players just to appease the fans can be detrimental to the players development and there will be struggles anyway. We all hate to lose but in my opinion no one hates it more than the players. Patience people.

19 minutes ago, LittleHurt05 said:

Funny how when you like the numbers, you stop being condescending and insulting towards "statniks".

Condescending isn't the right word. The advanced stat lovers have the knowledge of the new stat world, thus they tower over me and my ilk so to speak. They are the ones condescending to us cause our old world stats are laughed at now. Batting average means nothing, nowadays, but there are some advanced hitting metrics that matter a ton. The advanced stat people have the ammo; they are the ones who can shoot us traditional stat lovers down in a second.

Edited by greg775

8 minutes ago, greg775 said:

Condescending isn't the right word. The advanced stat lovers have the knowledge of the new stat world, thus they tower over me and my ilk so to speak. They are the ones condescending to us cause our old world stats are laughed at now. Batting average means nothing, nowadays, but there are some advanced hitting metrics that matter a ton. The advanced stat people have the ammo; they are the ones who can shoot us traditional stat lovers down in a second.

So you call people names, but you aren't being condescending because you chose to stay ignorant and insecure.  Ok.sure.

18 minutes ago, greg775 said:

I hardly ever say statniks any more. I say the stat people or stat lovers. Check my posts and you won't find "statnik" very often. I think I might have put it once fairly recently. I am not against all advanced stats. It just drives me crazy though that the traditional stats still determine entry in the Hall of Fame (pitching wins, losses, ERA) and hitting stats (BA, HR totals, RBI) and dominate baseball broadcasts yet they mean nothing to the stat people. It's all about WAR and certainly pitching wins mean nothing nowadays to the stat lovers.

Monday night

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, greg775 said:

I (and others) have typed thousands upon thousands of words trying to explain concepts to you. You never even read them. The only place people are "towering over you" with stats is in your imagination. We are constantly trying to include you in discussion and you just ignore everything and type the same thing as if no one ever replied otherwise.

18 minutes ago, Tony said:

Please stop playing the victim because you've made a choice to be uneducated. That's on you, and no one else. 

People have brought new, updated information to the table to paint a better picture. That should be embraced. You chose to not acknowledge it. 

I acknowledge advanced stats. I just don't like the fact the traditional stats have been deemed laughable by the stat people. 

31 minutes ago, greg775 said:

Good post. I just hoped my team would not have to resort to intentional losing. Some of us don't care about picking 4th in the draft vs. 14th.

Yeah, finishing with mid-late round picks was really helpful all these years.

11 minutes ago, Eminor3rd said:

I (and others) have typed thousands upon thousands of words trying to explain concepts to you. You never even read them. The only place people are "towering over you" with stats is in your imagination. We are constantly trying to include you in discussion and you just ignore everything and type the same thing as if no one ever replied otherwise.

I appreciate that. I enjoy reading the posts. For instance, I am happy that those who follow advanced stats have fallen in love with Davidson as I did last year. Now going only by traditional stats, Davidson wasn't lighting the world on fire with his low batting average. But in this instance, I've read your guys' posts and he's doing great via advanced stats. As somebody who fell for Davidson last year, I have enjoyed the fact advanced stats like him a lot this year.

1 hour ago, southsider2k5 said:

Again, you are watching this team be awful, yet you are surprised they are awful?  That makes zero sense.

There is bad and then there is overall incompetence. I don't think anyone expected ALL of the players to be bad. People were hoping that some players would show that they were capable of playing for a competitive team. The only players that have really shown they can be really good players are Abreu and Fry? Anderson, Moncada and Lopez look to be above average but no of them is really showing star potential.

If the Sox want to compete in 2020 others on this team will need to show something. Right now the window for competition looks more like 2021 or 2022. 

3 minutes ago, soxfan49 said:

Yeah, finishing with mid-late round picks was really helpful all these years.

You guys better hope our front office has done a better job of acquiring and identifying people in your rebuild than they did during my preferred line of attack (acquiring free agents, etc., to go with a few stars). You know there's no law that says this way is going to work. The problem with my way is that our front office failed me. They are the ones who acquired bad players when good ones could have just as easily been acquired with proper scouting/leadership/etc. Hopefully it will work. I do think Moncada and Anderson are good and Lopez is experience away from being a good No. 3 or 4 starter probably. And I haven't given up on Avi, etc.

Edited by greg775

49 minutes ago, SonofaRoache said:

74-88 is a bad baseball team. 48 to 58 wins is a disgrace, but in our case I 'll take it. Next year we need to see a team that can approach .500.

I'm not sure that's possible with the current players unless some step it up. The only additions for next year are really Rodon, Kopech and Jimenmez. I'm not sure that pushes them up to .500.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Tony said:

But once again, this isn't true. And if it is true, it's from a very small minority that doesn't represent most of the community. 

Traditional stats are still featured on baseball broadcasts and used on every statistical website because they do still provide value. But they aren't used the same way they were in the 1960's, because more advanced technologies have been discovered and can better evaluate a player. 

We still use candles today for various uses. But they are no longer used as the main source of light. Technology has advanced (the lightbulb) that has changed the way we used the candle. You can still use candles to light up your house if you'd like, but there are much more efficient ways to go about that. 

What you've said is...."I acknowledge the lightbulb exists, I just don't like that no one uses it for how it was originally intended, people with lightbulbs act so much smarter than me now.."

I can buy that. I endorse this post. 

3 hours ago, Tony said:

Is that your fault, or the teams? We always hear about the Cubs and Astros. 

Astros:

56-106

55-107

51-111

Cubs:

61-101

66-96

73-89

I still think the Sox finish with between 55-60 wins this season. Not sure what people thought this was going to look like.

I can help with that. They might not have expected a recent .275 pct and constant mistakes and brain cramps from players who have trained many years to excel in their profession. Numerous ongoing injuries and personal setbacks. Apologizing for .275 sounds a little extreme to me personally. The Sox may or may not have a successful near-future. Since they have modest fan support even when winning we will see what unfolds.

6 minutes ago, Tony said:

That's your shtick. But you won't change. 

The problem is I need to develop an interest in the advanced stats and they frankly bore me. Surprised more millenials aren't bored by them as it takes a while to study them, learn about them and their intricasies and supposedly people have no time or attention span nowadays to concern themselves with advanced metrics.  The old stats are wham, bam. He's hitting .310? Not bad. He's got 15 homers on June 1. Not bad. He's on track for 110 RBI. Nice. He's leading the league in doubles. He's got 25 stolen bases and leads the league. Nice. He's 10-1 on the mound. He is third in the league in strikeouts. He has 14 saves already and has only blown 2 saves. Kudos to those willing to put in the time to become advanced stat aficionados. Maybe I'll develop an interest at some point.

Edited by greg775

Next year, I would expect the team will feature the following:

Anderson, Moncada, Avi (or whomever he is traded for) Abreu, Jimenez (after May), Castillo, Davidson, Sanchez and whoever wins the CF spot. 4 of those guys are not currently playing.

The starting rotation should include, Rodon, Lopez, Kopech, Giolito and ? Two of those guys are also not on this team. Moreover, all of the young players should be better, with the experienced gained this season. And then, there are all of the other promising young prospects, whose arrival will be on the not too distant horizon.

Cheer up. It will get better.

8 minutes ago, greg775 said:

The problem is I need to develop an interest in the advanced stats and they frankly bore me. Surprised more millenials aren't bored by them as it takes a while to study them, learn about them and their intricasies and supposedly people have no time or attention span nowadays to concern themselves with advanced metrics.  The old stats are wham, bam. He's hitting .310? Not bad. He's got 15 homers on June 1. Not bad. He's on track for 110 RBI. Nice. He's leading the league in doubles. He's got 25 stolen bases and leads the league. Nice. He's 10-1 on the mound. He is third in the league in strikeouts. He has 14 saves already and has only blown 2 saves. Kudos to those willing to put in the time to become advanced stat aficionados. Maybe I'll develop an interest at some point.

Well then that's your fault.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, ptatc said:

I'm not sure that's possible with the current players unless some step it up. The only additions for next year are really Rodon, Kopech and Jimenmez. I'm not sure that pushes them up to .500.

I'd like to see a few free agents added to the team on one year deals if need be. These guys need to taste some success if we want to contend in 2020. I'd be okay with 75+ wins, and although it seems unlikely now, that should be a goal. Our rebuild started ahead of the Cubs and Astros so we shouldn't be on a completely linear path.

I need to understand how the enrolment of players and coaches works  , so the following is how I see it from an British set up .

The coach (Ricky) should have busted some chops a while back , if he did or did not it hasn't worked and Ricky should be replaced , the fans in the stadium need to be extremely vocal when a player is not pulling his weight and when Ricky makes a decision that they are not happy with , it doesn't matter if it works , let him know . Baseball fans at the park seem IMO to very amiable , you pay a lot of money to watch these highly paid sportsmen and you should get maximum effort for it .

Ok I'm coming at this from a soccer perspective , my team's motto is Nil Satis Nisi optimum (nothing but the best is good enough) and it hasn't been for a couple of seasons and boy do we let them know about it . New manager announced today !

3 hours ago, soxfan49 said:

Then why do you cheer for said franchise?

Because I'm The Worlds Biggest White Sox Fan (WBWSF). I go to 40 games a year, win or lose.  I think its pathetic how bad this team is. I like to win.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1