Updated MLB Pipeline Top 100/Team Top 30

Jose Abreu

28 minutes ago, Jerksticks said:

Why doesn’t he get excused?  What if he hits a buncha homers next year?  Would that be ok?

Sure it would be a nice bounce back from what is shaping up to be an underwhelming season. If he's going to Birmingham, it's going to be tough in that ballpark. 

1 minute ago, fathom said:

Sure it would be a nice bounce back from what is shaping up to be an underwhelming season. If he's going to Birmingham, it's going to be tough in that ballpark. 

With Sheets it’s clearly a launch angle issue.  He hits way too many balls on the ground in games I’ve watched.  That can hopefully be addressed during the offseason and his 70 grade raw power should allow for improvement next year even in Birmingham.

14 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

With Sheets it’s clearly a launch angle issue.  He hits way too many balls on the ground in games I’ve watched.  That can hopefully be addressed during the offseason and his 70 grade raw power should allow for improvement next year even in Birmingham.

Couldn't agree more. In the games I've watched, if a pitcher throws a sinker, he just hits it right into the ground.  Rutherford has similar issues as well.  As for Sheets, I'm not a big fan of his batting stance.  

It isn't just launch angle for Sheets. It's also how much he lets loose with his swing, and finding the right happy place between swinging out of his shoes and becoming a slapper. I am still not concerned about the lack of power.

And I'll link this again, in case anyone missed it, where that case is made in detail.

Also FYI, I can't speak to his HR distance in college, but he can hit some monster tanks now. I've seen it in BP. Well beyond what even guys like Adolfo were hitting.

37 minutes ago, Jake said:

I am not a fan of ranking Collins outside the T100.

I agree, but if he really only has a 10% chance of sticking at catcher I can kind of understand.  But still, he’s been one the best hitters in the Southern League this year and hasn’t been able to focus on offense as much as other prospects.

8 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I agree, but if he really only has a 10% chance of sticking at catcher I can kind of understand.  But still, he’s been one the best hitters in the Southern League this year and hasn’t been able to focus on offense as much as other prospects.

But then if you look at him as a future platoon 1b, those guys don't get ranked very high.

19 minutes ago, bmags said:

it annoys me that Sosa isn't in backend top 30 and annoys me he's never mentioned anywhere because it probably means I'm overemphasizing his production.

But, full season ball will tell all.

I was just reading BA’s write-up on him from their pre-season top 30 and it kind of got me down on him.  His lack of speed is a bit concerning for a middle infield prospect.

Sosa, who signed with the White Sox on July 2, 2016, was considered one of the best hitting shortstops out of Venezuela in that year's international class and received a $350,000 bonus. As an amateur, he showed coordination, bat-to-ball skills and a touch of gap power as well. The White Sox challenged Sosa by sending him to the Rookie-level Arizona League. He rewarded their confidence. Sosa has a simple, fluid swing that should allow him to continue to hit for average as he matures. Though evaluators believe he will eventually move off of shortstop as he gets bigger and stronger--they note he's already a below-average runner--he has above-average or better hands and average arm strength. If Sosa gains power he'll also profile better offensively at third. The White Sox may continue their aggressive path with Sosa and move him to low Class A Kannapolis as an 18-year-old at some point in 2018.

On 7/27/2018 at 1:46 PM, joejoedairy said:

The question was specifically about collins and basabe, so thats what he answered. But I wonder if Hansen was considered close to their top 100 as well?

Bryce Bush is quietly putting up big numbers in 13 games so far in the AZL batting .425 with more walks than strikeouts, 1.061 OPS. I know the AZL isn't the great competition, but he is still only 18. 

On 7/27/2018 at 10:26 AM, bmags said:

it annoys me that Sosa isn't in backend top 30 and annoys me he's never mentioned anywhere because it probably means I'm overemphasizing his production.

But, full season ball will tell all.

Sosa will be on our FutureSox list 

FG updated their BOARD today with two big surprise to me with Collins being at #67 and Basabe at #84. Collins was listed as a 1B, but that is still a pretty high ranking for him and I think this is the first list I've seen with Basabe in the top 100. They are lower on Cease and Dunning, but with 9 guys in the top 100, I'm pretty happy with the list.

https://www.fangraphs.com/scoutboard.aspx?draft=&type=&pos=&team=chw

9 minutes ago, GenericUserName said:

FG updated their BOARD today with two big surprise to me with Collins being at #67 and Basabe at #84. Collins was listed as a 1B, but that is still a pretty high ranking for him and I think this is the first list I've seen with Basabe in the top 100. They are lower on Cease and Dunning, but with 9 guys in the top 100, I'm pretty happy with the list.

https://www.fangraphs.com/scoutboard.aspx?draft=&type=&pos=&team=chw

Given the defensive liabilities of Collins, which have not been improved much by most accounts, it defies reason to me how one could rate him above Cease. While Cease has always been plagued by questions concerning his command, his walk rate has improved with every promotion. 

Edited by maggsmaggs