8/26 GT - KOPECH DAY (PART 2)!!

Just now, Jose Abreu said:

So if he had thrown 7 shutout innings with 75 pitches, you’d advocate that he doesn’t throw the 8th? 

He wasn't at 75 pitches and it wasn't a shut out.

There is 0 reason to take risks with his arm. He is on pace to pitch the most innings of his career.

He had a great start, he has the rest of his career ahead of him. I'm sure the sox have a predetermined amount of innings. Maybe pulling him today means 1 more start.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Soxbadger said:

There is 0 reason to take risks with his arm. He is on pace to pitch the most innings of his career.

He had a great start, he has the rest of his career ahead of him. I'm sure the sox have a predetermined amount of innings. Maybe pulling him today means 1 more start.

He's making the rest of his starts this year and before that rain delay, Hahn, Getz, etc were on record saying he didn't have a pitch limit and were gonna "let him loose". I don't know what the hell you're even coming from with this.

Edited by SoxAce

2 minutes ago, Soxbadger said:

I asked that hypothetically since you seemed to place so much weight on innings relative to pitches. 

If that’s the case then I understand and probably agree. What I don’t agree with is acting as if bringing him out to pitch one more inning would have been some irresponsible injury risk, given he had only thrown 87 pitches. 

4 minutes ago, Jose Abreu said:

I asked that hypothetically since you seemed to place so much weight on innings relative to pitches. 

If that’s the case then I understand and probably agree. What I don’t agree with is acting as if bringing him out to pitch one more inning would have been some irresponsible injury risk, given he had only thrown 87 pitches. 

I don;t understand the whole argument of wanting him to stay in the 7th. He had a rough 6th came out of it almost unscathed. Saw comments about bringing him in for 1 more innings or one more batter for various reasons. But he ended his day on a very positive note. What does one more batter or inning accomplish ? All the reasons I saw for keeping him in were things he can do later when he's not at a career high innings pitched, He had already done well getting out of some high stress innings.

Injuries can happen at any time but probably more likely when arm is fatigued.  I understand trying to uphold your end of the debate but whats done is done and for sound reasons.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Kopech is now The Light

Eloy will be The Truth.

I thought about calling Moncada "The Way " but the religious aspect, if not apparent with the 1st 2, surely becomes burdensome once I add The Way :P But I really do want those 3 to put us all on the path to baseball righteousness..

I will never be one to complain about a starter giving up one run in six innings especially with a young pitcher in his second major league start. But the Tigers started taking some real healthy cuts starting with the second time around. That sixth saw real hard hit balls. Even the double play was hit hard. And, at times, the young pitcher was losing his composure.

I'm sure Kopech will develop into a great pitcher. He has the stuff. My  point is that fans are being somewhat unrealistic. They're expecting these young players to come up and dominate immediately. It didn't happen with Moncada and it won't with Kopech. 

I do agree the worst is over with this rebuild, but also think this team still has a ways to go. Growing pains are still ahead.

25 minutes ago, NWINFan said:

I will never be one to complain about a starter giving up one run in six innings especially with a young pitcher in his second major league start. But the Tigers started taking some real healthy cuts starting with the second time around. That sixth saw real hard hit balls. Even the double play was hit hard. And, at times, the young pitcher was losing his composure.

I'm sure Kopech will develop into a great pitcher. He has the stuff. My  point is that fans are being somewhat unrealistic. They're expecting these young players to come up and dominate immediately. It didn't happen with Moncada and it won't with Kopech. 

I do agree the worst is over with this rebuild, but also think this team still has a ways to go. Growing pains are still ahead.

It was actually the 3rd time through the order. It was even pointed out by Benetti as such. We all want to see him start well. I think we are pretty aware he will have growing pains. It's just that he means an awful lot to the success of the rebuild and who really wants to curb their enthusiasm now ? It's exciting watching him pitch. It's the beginning of a new dawn and we are all just soaking in "The Light ."

They did the right thing not bringing him back in the 7th. He was getting hit really hard in the 6th. You let him end his day feeling good and go from there. If he had come back out in the 7th and got bombed, people here would of been calling for Ricky's head.

BTW, Moncada, though the results aren't showing it that much lately, looks like he's starting to turn a corner. He's striking out a lot less and hitting the ball hard again. The walks are still there too. I wouldn't be shocked if he has a huge September, and hopefully he can carry that over into next season. He's making  a ton more contact in general. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

8 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

BTW, Moncada, though the results aren't showing it that much lately, looks like he's starting to turn a corner. He's striking out a lot less and hitting the ball hard again. The walks are still there too. I wouldn't be shocked if he has a huge September, and hopefully he can carry that over into next season. He's making  a ton more contact in general. 

I hope so . I'd much rather call him "The Way" rather than "The Darkness."

17 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

he appears to be a "timing guy" early in his career.  for a guy prone to minor tweaks and DL stints that's not a good combo.  I hope he can stay healthy and hit a bit here to close out the year.  He has had a very mediocre year so far, he can turn it into a solid effort with a good 30 games here.

2 hours ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

I don;t understand the whole argument of wanting him to stay in the 7th. He had a rough 6th came out of it almost unscathed. Saw comments about bringing him in for 1 more innings or one more batter for various reasons. But he ended his day on a very positive note. What does one more batter or inning accomplish ? All the reasons I saw for keeping him in were things he can do later when he's not at a career high innings pitched, He had already done well getting out of some high stress innings.

Injuries can happen at any time but probably more likely when arm is fatigued.  I understand trying to uphold your end of the debate but whats done is done and for sound reasons.

Yeah, you could go either way with this one. It was justified to take him out considering the stressful 6th he had. However, with the pitch count he could have gone another and it would have been interesting to see if he could bounce back and have a good inning.

Both sides have a good case.

57 minutes ago, ptatc said:

Yeah, you could go either way with this one. It was justified to take him out considering the stressful 6th he had. However, with the pitch count he could have gone another and it would have been interesting to see if he could bounce back and have a good inning.

Both sides have a good case.

Typically I am all for pushing kids when you can, much like Lucas has been in the last couple of months, but with a kid going in his first full outing and leading big, getting him out on a high note isn't bad.

• Kyyle23 unpinned and locked this topic