8/30 GT - BOS @ CHW; Porcello vs. Giolito 7:10pm

iWiN4PreP

4 minutes ago, Heads22 said:

That's fair, but I also agree with what fathom has said in the past that when you know they're around their limit, getting them out of there. Lucas was over 100 pitches, which is well after when he usually loses his stuff.

When it’s the playoffs or meaningful games yeah I want to see that.

i don’t know, I guess I still believe that crap that Ozzie in 04 taught our pitchers how to get out of trouble by keeping them in when Manuel pulled and it paid off later when we needed them to go deep in long seasons and playoffs.

2 minutes ago, fathom said:

Heyman has changed his tone and seems to think Ricky is back and that Girardi might replace Maddon

Obviously this is an indication of Heymans deep and knowledgeable sources and not that he repeats whatever some agent shoots shit with him on late at night for his columns.

Just now, bmags said:

When it’s the playoffs or meaningful games yeah I want to see that.

i don’t know, I guess I still believe that crap that Ozzie in 04 taught our pitchers how to get out of trouble by keeping them in when Manuel pulled and it paid off later when we needed them to go deep in long seasons and playoffs.

I think you can get away with it when your team has decent to good bullpen. When your bullpen is full of has-beens and wannabes, you pull the guy. 

Just now, Jack Parkman said:

I think you can get away with it when your team has decent to good bullpen. When your bullpen is full of has-beens and wannabes, you pull the guy. 

It’s not about getting away with it, one is about development one is about maximizing wins this year. But this is a development year.

3 minutes ago, bmags said:

It’s not about getting away with it, one is about development one is about maximizing wins this year. But this is a development year.

I'm ok with him doing that with most pitchers, but not Giolito when he loses his stuff around 85-90 pitches. It drops off dramatically, from mid 90s to 91-92. If the dude gets through 100 pitches unscathed he's done, at least this season. I don't disagree about learning to pitch late in games, but I think that should be done when your bullpen is  better than this one. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

3 minutes ago, bmags said:

Right.  We are developing Jeanmar Gomez.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Buehrle>Wood said:

One of those relievers we traded for gets the middle of the order 1-2-3!

Bmags btfo!

I’m not against trading for reliever. My point is people cheering for depleting our bullpen then being shocked it’s bad. Burr was also not acquired with another bullpen piece, we could have *gasp* just had a deeper bullpen of people wanted to win so badly in August/September.