Patrick Corbin signing for 6/$140 million to Nats

DirtySox

Just now, Chicago White Sox said:

Wow, we finally agree on something!

I'll admit, I'm stunned those 2 teams did not beat this price, especially the Yankees. For a mid-rotation pitcher this is easy money. Maybe they just really didn't like him and think he'll fall apart next year?

1 minute ago, Balta1701 said:

Ok, the total money is a little more reasonable, but that's  still under $25 mil per year. The Yanks and Phils wouldn't beat that why?

Because paying a good not great starter $23.5M per over 6 years in his 30s is asinine.  

Edited by ChiSox59

1 minute ago, Balta1701 said:

I'll admit, I'm stunned those 2 teams did not beat this price, especially the Yankees. For a mid-rotation pitcher this is easy money. Maybe they just really didn't like him and think he'll fall apart next year?

There have been rumors that the Phillies front office is fairly conservative and isn’t big on spending huge dollars or going too many years with players.  If this is evidence of that, our chances to land a whale are much better than we originally thought.  That remains to be seen, but this gives me a little more optimism.

Just now, ChiSox59 said:

Because paying a good not great starter $23.5M per over 6 years in his 30s is asinine.  

But compared to the Yankees ducking out of the playoffs early last year and missing the playoffs in years before that - short playoff runs for the yankees are even sillier than spending that money. 

1 minute ago, ChiSox59 said:

Scherzer, Strasburg and Corbin is a nice top 3.  Have to imagine the Nats are going to be a real challenge for Bryce. 

Give or take backloading, this puts them close to $195 million in payroll commitments next season. The luxury tax line is ~$209. 

Hell, they're now already around $180 million for 2020 and thats with Rendon walking. 

I think they're out of the Harper race.

2 minutes ago, Baron said:

Nats may or may not be out of the Harper race. But I think Id feel better about going after him if we signed a top free agent. Nationals certainly look better today. 

That's why this is such a hard thing for Hahn to pull off.  If Harper/Machado don't sign until January, how does he make the necessary moves before that?  He can't wait until January to try and sign the other pieces that would make those guys want to come here.

Just now, Jose Abreu said:

I'd be pissed if I were a Phillies fan. The owner pretty much flat out lied to them, unless they did outbid the Nats and Corbin declined anyway

It's very possible they outbid the Nationals, but Corbin picked them instead as he has a great relationship with Rizzo.

Just now, fathom said:

That's why this is such a hard thing for Hahn to pull off.  If Harper/Machado don't sign until January, how does he make the necessary moves before that?  He can't wait until January to try and sign the other pieces that would make those guys want to come here.

If those guys are going to wait til January, don't the Phillies and Yankees have to give up and phil their other holes rather than waiting for them to sign? If those guys are waiting til January, the White Sox are ok with that since they don't need to make their team better this year, they need their team to be better in 2020 and 2021.