Harper to Phillies 13yr/330 mil

Kyyle23

I always believed that Machado's market was legitimately phills/white sox but with Harper despite silence I always thought more teams in on him. Still wouldn't be surprised if a team like ATL talks with them often. You know, Rockies.

2 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

https://www.gaslampball.com/2019/1/22/18192839/a-look-into-the-padres-finances-has-opened-a-rats-nest-of-questions-ron-fowler-please-dont-be-evil

Ummmm...not really.  Almost 10% of their budget each year goes to paying down debt and stadium renovations.

$144 million to Hosmer, big salary for Myers and $27.5 still this year on paying off bad deals from 2024-15 cycle.

Their franchise is worth roughly $800 million less than the Sox.

Cool so they are meeting with Harper for kicks? Give me a break. 

1 minute ago, Baron said:

Cool so they are meeting with Harper for kicks? Give me a break. 

Read the article.

Why would Lozano or Boras have anything to lose?

Do you realize how much debt Moores passed on when he sold the Padres?

The ONE problem the White Sox have never had to deal with is debt overhang and paying for stadium renovations...

1 minute ago, caulfield12 said:

Read the article.

Why would Lozano or Boras have anything to lose?

Do you realize how much debt Moores passed on when he sold the Padres?

The ONE problem the White Sox have never had to deal with is debt overhang and paying for stadium renovations...

Ok so your not going to answer my question. 

1 minute ago, Mr. Showtime said:

Do we think this is new information what he is reporting?

Or is Heyman just restating what has been out prior that the Sox have been linked to him prior?

I'm sure they are still interested. Nothing new here. Everyone is just waiting on Machado.

Edited by soxfan2014

Just now, Mr. Showtime said:

Do we think this is new information what he is reporting?

Or is Heyman just restating what has been out prior that the Sox have been linked to him prior?

Probably the latter.

But in either case, the White Sox didn't meet with him multiple times prior to the new year only to suddenly decide that they only were interested in Machado and would never talk to Harper again. 

4 minutes ago, Baron said:

Ok so your not going to answer my question. 

How can you know if they have the ability to sign him without doing any research about their finances?

Sure, if all they have to do is pay $200 million, they can wing that if they figure out a way to clear Myers’ salary, which won’t exactly be easy.

Once they get above $250 million, it’s just not going to make sense when they have the clear #1 farm system in baseball and can probably move Urias or one of their other prospects over.   Heck, they could simply trade for Franco of the Phillies, thus opening that spot up for Machado if the Phillies can’t convince Harper to leave Washington.

2 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

How can you know if they have the ability to sign him without doing any research about their finances?

Sure, if all they have to do is pay $200 million, they can wing that if they figure out a way to clear Myers’ salary, which won’t exactly be easy.

Once they get above $250 million, it’s just not going to make sense when they have the clear #1 farm system in baseball and can probably move Urias or one of their other prospects over.   Heck, they could simply trade for Franco of the Phillies, thus opening that spot up for Machado if the Phillies can’t convince Harper to leave Washington.

I read that article. Seemed to be a bunch of speculation and lots of questions left unanswered. What else was I supposed to get out of that? 

All this says to me is that the Phillies and White Sox are still most likely to get the a Harper or MAchado on the roster. 

It would just be truly incredible for the Nats to be able to afford HArper, but because of their amenable relationship to Boras are likely to keep up this posture.

Many posts ago, bucket (I believe it was bucket) said the Sox felt good about where they were with Harper.  This latest information is encouraging that the Sox are at least still at the table.  You'd have to think the Sox have a good chance, at least monetarily.  We'll see about where he wants to play.

4 minutes ago, shipps said:

5F23CEB2-C621-4CF8-AD7F-1E371598B0C2.jpeg

I was looking at the Padres farm system.  It looks pretty good.  Harper would be a good fit for a team that on the verge of competing for years.  The Padres and Sox both fit that idea.  But how much would the Padres truly be willing to commit?

2 minutes ago, hogan873 said:

I was looking at the Padres farm system.  It looks pretty good.  Harper would be a good fit for a team that on the verge of competing for years.  The Padres and Sox both fit that idea.  But how much would the Padres truly be willing to commit?

Even if the Padres are serious and can spend, that park is just too huge a hurdle. Manny might go for playing there, but Harper is looking at where he's going to be statistically when he retires and how he'll be viewed among the all-time best hitters. Dude is going to get paid over $300 million anywhere he goes. I can't see him agreeing to play in San Diego where he'd be extremely lucky to hit 15 HR at home a season.

• Love 1

• Heads22 changed the title to Harper Latest: Smoke around the Phightin Phils