Update: Machado met with Sox

TheFutureIsNear

So the thing that will be so nervewrecking and I've posted it before is the dodgers and yanks appear to be in a position where they will let white sox/phils set the market for them, and then their agents will come back to them, and if they just match it they probably win.

They don't have to be aggressive despite having the most resources and that's really annoying for the game.

1 minute ago, cjgalloway said:

What time is his meeting today? Do we expect there to be rumors/leaks?

The sox are so damn good about this, I do not expect anything specific. I don't expect much more than "had a good visit"

21 minutes ago, Sockin said:

After the tour this week I wonder if he signs on the weekend. 

I certainly hope so, but I would expect the official offers would be settled first and then he would mull the decision.  Realistically, I would guess after Christmas.

43 minutes ago, SonofaRoache said:

NY weather in the winter is better than ours. Their cold days are 40's for the most part, and they don't have nearly as much wind and bitterness. They get blasted by snow too, but it's just better weather. I'm not sure about Philly. 

Yes, but with climate change it's hit or miss. The MTA breaking down with bad weather now means traffic gets all the worse when it snows. It also gets super windy anywhere near the water.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Moncada said:

Any chance the Sox have pitched to both Manny and Harper something like 8 years 250 million, front loaded with opt outs.  With the sole purpose of pitching them that they can sign both, get a SP, and compete for a deep run in the playoffs this year and a world series next year

Unlikely on just about everything you mentioned. Harper more than likely wants to break the Stanton deal as the richest contract ever. The Sox aren't going to make the playoff this year. Too many holes and not enough pitching. The good starting pitchers are gone already and the Sox won't trade prospects. They need to give most of them more time. The starting pitching FA market is much better next year and we will have Kopech coming back and Cease and Dunning both get a shot at opening the season in 2020 barring injury. Hansen gets time to rediscover his mojo and young relievers get another year to separate the wheat from the chaffe. The young OF prospects also all need at least another year.

You know what's strange about this offseason? At the end of Game 162 it'd be my guess that the majority of fans wanted Machado over Harper. But after the playoff fiasco and Johnny Hustle comments coupled with the reality that Harper is a possibility the board and fans have really jumped onto the Harper bandwagon wayyyyy over Machado. I too almost find myself favoring Harper. I tried coming up with why ... the most I can figure is this: Harper, based on this track record and training, workmanship, etc. probably has a chance of aging more like a Thome or an Pujols- someone who puts in the work, in a professional, etc. On the flip side Manny seems like he'll age like Miggy Cabrera. Someone who probably has more raw talent than Harper, but after receiving a huge contract will let himself go and get a bit sloppy. One of those guys who can just produce in his sleep, but may have a season where he bats .225 because he got really lazy. That all being said, I think just by pure fit, Machado is clearly the better piece. With our outfield prospects and the overall landscape of OF's Harpers value isn't as great as Machado. He'd fill a void at 3B we haven't had in a LONG LONG time.

I'd go 11 years, $345-360mm, Opt outs after years 4 and years 6

$150mm over the first 4 years, $66mm over the next 2 years, and then $130mm over the last 5 years.

It assumes after the first opt out he'd have 7 years and $210mm left -- or about $30mm a year. Even with contracts escalating I think he'd be hard pressed to find a better deal at age 30. You front load that contract paying him like $40mm in years 1 and 2.

I like the front loading idea a ton --- I'd pay Harper or Machado upwards of like $60mm in year one when we have nothing on the books if it gets them in the door. The more money we pay now the better flexibility it has for the future when it matters.

Around these parts I kind of highly doubt the Johnny Hustle comment has anything to do with people wanting Harper over Machado.  There's a variety of reasons but Harper just changes the way people look at this franchise which is important for many reasons.  Personally I'd be thrilled with either but I'd favor Bryce as well.

• Like 2

Just now, Tony said:

It's so weird, I'd be more excited if we got Bryce, but happier if we got Machado? That makes almost no sense, but Machado is the better fit for this team the next 4-5 years. Harper is the better franchise fit longer term. 

Harper this year Rendon next year let's get it.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Moncada said:

Any chance the Sox have pitched to both Manny and Harper something like 8 years 250 million, front loaded with opt outs.  With the sole purpose of pitching them that they can sign both, get a SP, and compete for a deep run in the playoffs this year and a world series next year

No. 

• Haha 2

It'd never happen, but that would be kind of my preference and really cool. Pay each like $180mm for 4 years then have opt outs where it basically forces their hand to opt out.

In 2020 you'd have Harper in RF, Eloy in LF, Robert in CF, __ at 1B, Madrigal at 2b, Anderson SS, Machado at 3B, Collins at C -- moncada at DH or something and your pitchers would be up and ready. Would be a fantastic 4 year run. Then as those youngers guys age and are ready for arbitrtation and extensions you have Machado and Harper off the books.

• Quin locked this topic