Machado signs with Padres 10/300

yesterday333

10 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Jerry has a weird reputation I think - mainly because of his push for the strike.

For multiple years, Jerry spent the highest percentage of revenue on payroll in the entire league. The White Sox operated with top 5 payrolls despite being around 10-12th (estimates) in revenue. 

Jerry has areas in baseball in which he has been cheap and hurt the team - mainly on the drafting, scouting and development side of things - but he has also paid people market rates and typically outspent their revenue figures. 

It's hard to call a guy spending the highest percentage of revenue on payroll cheap, but I do understand why some say that.

I am not even saying cheap. I am saying they won't spend ridiculous amounts of money, so as to be able to support two superstar salaries on the same roster.

Also comparing eras is rough with the amount of money the biggest market teams bring in being more than double the Sox, plus the new cap system wasn't around then either. 

Just now, southsider2k5 said:

I am not even saying cheap. I am saying they won't spend ridiculous amounts of money, so as to be able to support two superstar salaries on the same roster.

Also comparing eras is rough with the amount of money the biggest market teams bring in being more than double the Sox, plus the new cap system wasn't around then either. 

I don't see it happening either, but I could maybe see them trying to get Harper on a frontloaded deal that he is likely to opt out of after 3-4 years.

Get Machado on a straight 7/$220M or 8/$250M....then Harper on a 3 or 4 year type deal at $45-50M AAV where it can swell to 8-10 years, but at "team friendly" terms which means Harper will likely opt out again once Trout resets the whale market.

Pipe dream...but theoretically possible, and wouldn't totally ruin the team's flexibility moving forward. But don't see Philly allowing us to get both.  Really only see it as a possibility if Harper just really doesn't want to play in Philly.  

2 minutes ago, justBLAZE said:

They know 100% where he's going.

I tend to believe this, too.  It's hard to imagine that Manny hasn't made up his mind or at least he's pretty certain and waiting on the money/years to be there.  And if he knows, then Yonder knows.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, hogan873 said:

I tend to believe this, too.  It's hard to imagine that Manny hasn't made up his mind or at least he's pretty certain and waiting on the money/years to be there.  And if he knows, then Yonder knows.

Which means Jay knows.  Which means at least a couple other dudes on the team know. Which means their wives know. Which means the wives family knows.  

I don't buy it.  If he had definitely made up his mind, it would be out there.  I am sure he is leaning one way or another and Yonder knows, but until he signs...doesn't mean much.  

• Like 1

At some point in the next couple days, manny's camp will come to the sox with a suddenly lower demand, they will finish out the details and it will be done. I really doubt they are even negotiating now but I do doubt that the padres are sitting on top of the white sox offer (they haven't even freakin met him yet)

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, mqr said:

Well that'd be impressive because I don't think Manny knows 100% where he is going. 

Let me rephrase that, I truly believe Sox have the best offer out and Manny wants to play here, it's Lozano holding things back trying to get 300 mil for his client.

That takes into acount Yankees not willing to meet the price. 

2 minutes ago, Eminor3rd said:

At this point I don’t even think Machado is going to play baseball ever again. Maybe he’ll go back to school or maybe be a college coach to something. Or a philanthropist. My mind doesn’t believe he will ever sign a baseball player contract in the remainder of his life. 

Wut?

4 minutes ago, Eminor3rd said:

At this point I don’t even think Machado is going to play baseball ever again. Maybe he’ll go back to school or maybe be a college coach to something. Or a philanthropist. My mind doesn’t believe he will ever sign a baseball player contract in the remainder of his life. 

Next up, the NFL.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Eminor3rd said:

He's going to be a youtube unboxing influencer showing off custom kids shoes

• Haha 1

• Kalapse changed the title to Yeah, they actually screwed this up: Machado reportedly signs with Padres