Machado signs with Padres 10/300

yesterday333

12 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

How many players have gotten more than $10 million in year 1? I know of 1, Kris Bryant, $10.85 mil, 2 years removed of the National League MVP award.
The Arb-1 record holder for pitchers is Dallas Keuchel at just over $7 million. That was coming off 2015...when he won the Cy Young Award. 

I promise, if Lopez has multiple Cy Young awards by 2020 such that he's  blowing past the arb record for pitchers and Yoan Moncada has a $15 million win in year 1 thanks to his back to back MVP awards, I will not f***ing care one iota about those prices thanks to my new white sox gear that I bought during the 2020 world series run.

They would be in Arb 2, not Arb 1. That's a big difference. 

• Haha 1

Just now, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

They would be in Arb 2, not Arb 1. That's a big difference. 

No they would not be look again. Moncada, Lopez, and Giolito came up mid-2017, after the expected Super 2 point in June. That means they will be pre-arb in 2018, 2019, and 2020. If you need confirmation please check the B-R table where they are shown as pre-arb in 2020 and Arb-1 in 2021. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Balta1701 said:

No they would not be look again. Moncada, Lopez, and Giolito came up mid-2017, after the expected Super 2 point in June. That means they will be pre-arb in 2018, 2019, and 2020. If you need confirmation please check the B-R table where they are shown as pre-arb in 2020 and Arb-1 in 2021. 

You are correct; I was looking end of 2021, not prior. That is my bad. 

So still, that's your issue in 2022 instead of 2021 - the point still stands. 

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, shipps said:

Not sure why I ever get myself hyped for the today is the day bs. 😂 

The giveaway is when none of the main guys have anything. Someone obscure may get something first, but one of the main guys will get it within a few hours. When it's nothing but crickets from them, you know the wannabes are all full of crap. 

Edited by Dick Allen

3 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

You are correct; I was looking end of 2021, not prior. That is my bad. 

So still, that's your issue in 2022 instead of 2021 - the point still stands. 

And if these guys are that good that in 2022 they are getting $12-$15 million in arbitration, the White Sox will have a couple of consecutive playoff runs. Hopefully a ring and a banner.

If they're not darn near filling that ballpark, raising ticket prices, and seeing surges in TV and in-stadium ad revenue, of the sort where a $175 million payroll is possible (note that this is 4 years from now with revenues growing at 5% a year or more, and a new CBA) - well then they might as well move the team because if they can't fill the stadium winning that amount of ballgames then there's no reason to be in Chicago any more, RH would have destroyed the fanbase. 

5 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

The giveaway is when none of the main guys have anything. Someone obscure may get something first, but one of the main guys will get it within a few hours. When it's nothing but crickets from them, you know the wannabes are all full of crap. 

The National Media guys have had virtually nothing to report on Machado/Harper, which is pretty telling. If anything were close to finalizing I'm sure we'd hear about it. 

Edited by steveno89

Just now, Balta1701 said:

And if these guys are that good that in 2022 they are getting $12-$15 million in arbitration, the White Sox will have a couple of consecutive playoff runs.

If they're not darn near filling that ballpark, raising ticket prices, and seeing surges in TV and in-stadium ad revenue, of the sort where a $175 million payroll is possible (note that this is 4 years from now with revenues growing at 5% a year or more, and a new CBA) - well then they might as well move the team because if they can't fill the stadium winning that amount of ballgames then there's no reason to be in Chicago any more, RH would have destroyed the fanbase. 

I just don't think this is necessarily true. 

Kevin Gausmann just got 9.35 million in arbitration and he is far from a star. He's a league average pitcher, maybe.

Wheeler, who has barely pitched, got 6 million (hence my 7 million for Lucas if he's still around).

Rendon just got 18 million - Moncada could easily be as good as Rendon and he could also be a little less good which puts him around 14 million. Scooter Gennet just got 10 million. 

Kneble got 5.2 million - which is where any of the young relievers could be by then. Xander got 12 million.

Those guys aren't "super stars." They are good/average MLB players. Arbitration is becoming more and more expensive, and the number quoted are easily attainable without a star-level of success. 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Kevin Gausmann just got 9.35 million in arbitration and he is far from a star. He's a league average pitcher, maybe.

Wheeler, who has barely pitched, got 6 million (hence my 7 million for Lucas if he's still around).

Rendon just got 18 million - Moncada could easily be as good as Rendon and he could also be a little less good which puts him around 14 million. Scooter Gennet just got 10 million. 

Kneble got 5.2 million - which is where any of the young relievers could be by then. Xander got 12 million.

Those guys aren't "super stars." They are good/average MLB players. Arbitration is becoming more and more expensive, and the number quoted are easily attainable without a star-level of success. 

Rendon has been a really good player the last three seasons

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, steveno89 said:

The National Media guys have had virtually nothing to report on Machado/Harper, which is pretty telling. If anything were close to finalizing I'm sure we'd hear about it. 

Heyman liked the tweet which referenced Sox as the betting favorites to land machado, and commented on Garfien’s empty locker tweet. So that’s something lol

1 minute ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Kevin Gausmann got $9.35 million in arbitration year 3, not arbitration year 2. 

Anthony Rendon got $18 million in arbitration year 3, not arbitration year 2, and he's been in the top 11 of MVP voting the past 2 seasons. 

Zach Wheeler is in arbitration year 3 and is a free agent at the end of this year. I'm not even going to look the other ones up because I checked 3 and all 3 of them had the same problem. 

You're comparing guys in different arbitration years to make this look worse. Arbitration year 3 for Moncada, Giolito, and Lopez is 2023.

• Thanks 1
  • Love 1

• Kalapse changed the title to Yeah, they actually screwed this up: Machado reportedly signs with Padres