There's a fooking ballgame today folks! Cubs vs Sox!

ron883

19 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

So anyway, my 5 grueling starts comment was to those that are never happy about anything and claim Gio is a mental midget. I'd argue that the amount of thought and work he  put in this offseason into getting where he's at right now proves he's anything but. Gio has openly admitted that he's pretty unathletic, and because of that he's going to lose his release point from time to time. It is probably going to keep him from winning any Cy Young awards, but he's probably going to be a strong #2 with stretches where he pitches like an ace. 

I am fucking tired of people who b**** just to b****. Take that shit to PM. The Sox are about to get really fucking good and all they want to do is piss and moan. 

If Gio is your #2, the Sox are in trouble, mister 

6 minutes ago, Moan4Yoan said:

You better pray to Jobu if you want that to happen.

He pitched well against them last time and always has. I understand he's been brutal, but it's not that insane to think of if it has already happened. 

2 minutes ago, mqr said:

They’re a decent team that’s about it

yeah prtty much there rotion is not great  besides  hamels  who injured and lester and bullpen not great besides kimbrel who i think  might cause trouble despite looking good today plus aj pointed out there defense is lazy sometimes it not like hey dont even care

• Love 1

Had hoped for better but Gio spit the bit for the second time in a big, big series. Just something to watch moving forward. In his defense he won't be having a stretch of four in a row like he's just gone through...Cubs, Red Sox, Twins and Cubs...that's a rough stretch.

You always want to beat these bastards and tonight was really disappointing given Giolito is the best the Sox have to offer this year.

We'll see what happens Sunday. Pray for a miracle I guess.

45 minutes ago, timbo8 said:

yeah prtty much there rotion is not great  besides  hamels  who injured and lester and bullpen not great besides kimbrel who i think  might cause trouble despite looking good today plus aj pointed out there defense is lazy sometimes it not like hey dont even care

It may be they are getting somewhat complacent after having made the playoffs four straight years...maybe they think they can "turn it on" whenever they want. That's hard to do. What the Cubs have going for them is the ability to take on salary at the deadline. I don't know if the other clubs in the diviksion can or have the will to do that...maybe the Cardinals.

24 minutes ago, Lip Man 1 said:

It may be they are getting somewhat complacent after having made the playoffs four straight years...maybe they think they can "turn it on" whenever they want. That's hard to do. What the Cubs have going for them is the ability to take on salary at the deadline. I don't know if the other clubs in the diviksion can or have the will to do that...maybe the Cardinals.

I believe baseball is a game of streaks.  The Cubs just got off from a bad one.  I think baseball is the toughest sport to repeat as world champions.

Just now, kitekrazy said:

I believe baseball is a game of streaks.  The Cubs just got off from a bad one.  I think baseball is the toughest sport to repeat as world champions.

History shows it doesn't happen often...not today. To me accomplishing something like what the Braves did, win the division, what? 12 straight seasons and make the playoffs all those times is mind boggling. Yea they only won one World Series, but continuing to do what they did year after year with different guys....you just don't see that anymore. 

1 hour ago, GradMc said:

If Gio is your #2, the Sox are in trouble, mister 

No, if he's their #2 they're fine. He still got a lot of swinging strikes. There's no stuff deterioration or anything. He's really good but loses his release point from time to time. If I'd have to make determinations right now, I'd say Cease will be the staff ace, Gio is the #2 and Kopech is the #3. All are capable of carrying the team from time to time. It is a good problem to have. 

Literally Giolito's two worst outings all season were against the Cubs. That makes it look worse than it actually is. He gave up 4+ ER 4 times all season and 2 were against the Cubs. I hate it as much as everyone else. 

Edited by Jack Parkman
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

No, if he's their #2 they're fine. He still got a lot of swinging strikes. There's no stuff deterioration or anything. He's really good but loses his release point from time to time. If I'd have to make determinations right now, I'd say Cease will be the staff ace, Gio is the #2 and Kopech is the #3. All are capable of carrying the team from time to time. It is a good problem to have. 

Literally Giolito's two worst outings all season were against the Cubs. That makes it look worse than it actually is. He gave up 4+ ER 4 times all season and 2 were against the Cubs. I hate it as much as everyone else. 

This.

His stuff was fine to really good today.  He had a really bad inning where he couldn't get a feel and a couple batters where he couldn't get a feel.  If Gio is our #2 Cease would really need to also get his command in order.  

Either way, a rotation of Gio, Cease, Kop, FA, Lopez should be one of if not the best in the majors in a couple years.  Imagine throwing a Cole or Bauer in there.  It would be a better rotation imo than what Cleveland has when healthy.

3 hours ago, timbo8 said:

nothing the cubs did impress that make me think they going to win it this year

They have a good chance to win a weak division or go in as a wild card. But I don't see them going far in the post season. Some other NL team is going to the World Series.

I think it’s normal for Abreu to think he has to hit a homer in that situation considering there were two outs already.  If there was only one out or no outs, I agree with you since McCann and Eloy were behind him.

Edited by Moan4Yoan

I think Jose lost that final at bat on the first pitch. Watch the replay. It was the only hittable pitch in the sequence. I wish he'd have jumped on it and roped it down the LF line into the corner. Once it got to be 2 strikes you knew the pitcher's advantage was huge with the crap in the dirt he waved at.

Still love you Jose. Bad at bat, though. Why not rope that first pitch? It was meat.

51 minutes ago, Moan4Yoan said:

I think it’s normal for Abreu to think he has to hit a homer in that situation considering there were two outs already.  If there was only one out or no outs, I agree with you since McCann and Eloy were behind him.

Everybody's trying to hit a home run in every situation ... well, not Jon Jay but just about every hitter in MLB. It's the new rage. HR or K. And that's what everybody wants.