Zack Wheeler Thread

caulfield12

4 minutes ago, CWSpalehoseCWS said:

They can have all the interest they want, but I doubt they can give Wheeler the best offer.

We said that last year when the Padres popped up in the Machado derby. If there are other teams getting involved in this the Sox have to be comfortable with being uncomfortable and give out deals that add some risk in terms of money or years. That is, If they're serious about this whole competing thing. 

Edited by Sockin
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, CWSpalehoseCWS said:

They can have all the interest they want, but I doubt they can give Wheeler the best offer.

Not saying it will have any impact, but sometimes winning has an influence on a player's decision if the money is close. Twins have been a playoff team the past couple of years now. 

• Like 1

Just now, SoxAce said:

Not saying it will have any impact, but sometimes winning has an influence on a player's decision if the money is close. Twins have been a playoff team the past couple of years now. 

That's true. Obviously other factors could come into play in making a final decision, but I don't see the Twins putting the best $$$ offer on the table for Wheeler. I think the Sox can (and will) outbid them if it comes down to it. 

8 minutes ago, Orlando said:

It’s time for the Sox to start acting like they play in a big market. They CAN’T lose to a rival with the flexibility they have!

FWIW - at this point, the Twins have just as much flexibility as the Sox.

• Love 1

5 minutes ago, Sockin said:

We said that last year when the Padres popped up in the Machado derby. If there are other teams getting involved in this the Sox have to be comfortable with being uncomfortable and give out deals that add some risk in terms of money or years.

I'd like to think they've learned their mistake. Seemed to work with Grandal.

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Orlando said:

It’s time for the Sox to start acting like they play in a big market. They CAN’T lose to a rival with the flexibility they have!

Earlier I had seen numbers like 5 years  for $100 mil. Is this what we are talking about now? Do we really see the Sox going 5 years for a SP?

8 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

FWIW - at this point, the Twins have just as much flexibility as the Sox.

Plus, this isn't the old man anymore. This is the first time the Twins have been in position to spend since the kids took over. Old man Pohlad was a known cheapskate. We don't know about the kids. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

1 minute ago, bmags said:

Yikes, Berrios, Odorizzi, Wheeler would be a tough big three. Hope Sox can block that

The Twins are going to sign pitching. They need it even more than the Sox. I fully expect them to land at least one of Wheeler, Bumgarner, or Keuchel. They’ll likely add another slightly lesser FA as well - maybe bring back Pineda. After Berrios and Odo, they have Graterol who they can maybe hope for 15 starts from, and then a few fringe guys. They’re going to spend some money this offseason - their window is now. 

2 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

Plus, this isn't the old man anymore. This is the first time the Twins have been in position to spend since the kids took over. Old man Pohlad was a known cheapskate. We don't know about the kids. 

? Jim Pohlad has been the owner since 09, and hasn’t handed over anything. 

• Chisoxfn changed the title to Zack Wheeler Thread
  • Chisoxfn locked this topic