Zack Wheeler Thread

caulfield12

4 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

? Jim Pohlad has been the owner since 09, and hasn’t handed over anything. 

I was talking about his deceased father Carl. Carl was a known cheapskate. 

The Twins haven't been in this position since Jim Pohlad took over. The Twins have been nearly as inconsistent as the Sox since 2011. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

Just now, Jack Parkman said:

I was talking about his deceased father Carl. 

Jim has been in charge since 09. His dad died in 09. To say the twins haven’t been in a position to spend since 09 is not accurate. Change in ownership has absolutely nothing to do with the current ball club.

That being said, the Twins are at the peak of their window based on their roster, and I fully expect Falvey and Lavine to make some moves. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Jim has been in charge since 09. His dad died in 09. To say the twins haven’t been in a position to spend since 09 is not accurate. Change in ownership has absolutely nothing to do with the current ball club.

That being said, the Twins are at the peak of their window based on their roster, and I fully expect Falvey and Lavine to make some moves. 

It's pretty accurate. Aside from the last 3 seasons the Twins were bottom 5 in baseball for almost the entirety of 2011-16. 

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

The Twins are going to sign pitching. They need it even more than the Sox. I fully expect them to land at least one of Wheeler, Bumgarner, or Keuchel. They’ll likely add another slightly lesser FA as well - maybe bring back Pineda. After Berrios and Odo, they have Graterol who they can maybe hope for 15 starts from, and then a few fringe guys. They’re going to spend some money this offseason - their window is now. 

I’m aware the twins will sign pitching. I’d prefer they don’t sign Wheeler.

4 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

It's pretty accurate. Aside from the last 3 seasons the Twins were bottom 5 in baseball for almost the entirety of 2011-16. 

Other than the Mauer contract, I can't recall in the last 20 years the Twins breaking the bank for anyone.

They're even more "penurious" than the White Sox, typically.

Mauer was $184 million, and that practically tanked the franchise....well, maybe not for a decade, but 2011-2016 were really BLEAK years for Twins' fans.

Let's not forget that the Twins were one of the top bidders for Yu Darvish before he picked the Cubs.

http://www.startribune.com/twins-definitely-could-use-a-big-free-agent-but-history-shows-the-perils/563300722/

Left brain: Most of the biggest contracts in baseball history were busts, or disappointments. The biggest contract in Twins history — the $184 million Joe Mauer signed for — contributed to a near-decade team slump. The Twins should never weigh themselves down with that kind of contract again.

Right brain: Imagine what one great pitcher could do for a team that won 101 games without a true ace. Imagine facing the Yankees with someone like Gerrit Cole pitching Game 1, followed by Jose Berrios and Jake Odorizzi.

LB: That’s the thing about free-agent spending — it always sounds good at the time. Remember: The conventional wisdom surrounding Mauer was that the Twins couldn’t afford to not sign him. They would have looked cheap and shortsighted. Then they signed him, and looked foolish and shortsighted.

Last winter, the Phillies and Padres spent a combined $630 million on Bryce Harper and Manny Machado and missed the playoffs; Harper’s old team, the Nationals, made it to the World Series. Craig Kimbrel, the most accomplished closer on the market, signed midseason with the Cubs, who missed the playoffs.

The 11 biggest contracts in MLB history have combined to win one World Series while the player was under that contract — in 2009, when Alex Rodriguez won a ring with the Yankees.

The Los Angeles Dodgers outspend almost everyone and haven’t won a title since 1988. The Yankees have won one since 2000.

RB: All true. So is this: The four teams that made it to the League Championship Series this year ranked in the top eight in payroll. The Nationals made it to the World Series without Harper, in part, because they spent big on Max Scherzer and Patrick Corbin in free agency. And Harper and Machado could still prove valuable if they can elevate their franchises in the future.

RB: But you’ve got to try, and the Twins could win it all with the right addition. Why don’t the Pohlads just spend more?

LB: They’re businesspeople. They have invested heavily in growing the front office and analytics department, they pay their people well, they invest their own money in keeping Target Field among the best sports venues in the world, and they generally spend when their general manager asks them to. Their GMs know that if they spend the wrong amount on the wrong player, they’re putting their job on the line. Successful businesspeople don’t make a habit out of losing money or spending recklessly.

RB: As owners who received public funding for their ballpark and thus have had the value of their franchise increased, don’t they owe it to the public to do everything they can to win?

LB: Yes. The question is whether spending hundreds of millions on fragile assets is the best way to win.

RB: I’m sick of you sticking up for billionaires.

LB: I’m sick of your unwillingness to accept the way the real world works.

RB: Let’s go back to not talking to each other.

Four guys doesn't include Hamels?

It feels like even Hamels (coming off his rebound season in 2019) is going to get close to $13-15 million, or maybe more...and for that price, I'd rather sign two more versatile Drew Pomeranz's.

Just have a feeling, like with Bumgarner...that Hamels would be a much better fit in the NL.

4 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Four guys doesn't include Hamels?

It feels like even Hamels (coming off his rebound season in 2019) is going to get close to $13-15 million, or maybe more...and for that price, I'd rather sign two more versatile Drew Pomeranz's.

Just have a feeling, like with Bumgarner...that Hamels would be a much better fit in the NL.

I would bet on Hamels going back to a team he's previously pitched with: Phillies or Cubs.

I could get on board with Pomeranz as a swing man.

8 minutes ago, soxfan2014 said:

I would bet on Hamels going back to a team he's previously pitched with: Phillies or Cubs.

I could get on board with Pomeranz as a swing man.

Keuchel seems like he would be an absolute disaster in the heart of the summer at GRF...I know Atlanta has even more dramatic weather from June-August, but really want nothing to do with him unless the price is an absolute bargain...and there's too many other teams looking for pitching for that to occur, realistically.

• Chisoxfn changed the title to Zack Wheeler Thread
  • Chisoxfn locked this topic