Mlb Networks Top 10

Whisox05

6 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

Because he was the top-ranked prospect in baseball coming into the year, and only 20.  Has he been healthy the whole year, he would have been even higher.

Right but it was half a year. What about all those games missed where he isn't contributing anything to his team ?

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

5 hours ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Why is it funny ? Why shouldn't we ?

The RBI is an antiquated, lousy stat that should be thrown into a fire and burned. Batting average isn't quite so bad. Regardless, there are much better stats that should be used instead of them. 

20 minutes ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

Driving in runs is a skill but RBI is a poor stat to evaluate it because it's a counting stat based on opportunity.   wRC+ is much better.

I don't necessarily agree. The formula they use to weight runs by ballpark doesn't really look at who plays there. For example, a division like the AL East with higher scoring team is going to skew the numbers one way whereas the NL central in previous years with the Reds (not the current version) Brewers and Pirates really would skew it the other way.

These really change the "opportunity" to score runs and skews the ballpark weighting. All of these stats have their limitations. However, actually scoring runs is the way teams actually win games. RBI and runs scored still have their value.

2 hours ago, ron883 said:

The RBI is an antiquated, lousy stat that should be thrown into a fire and burned. Batting average isn't quite so bad. Regardless, there are much better stats that should be used instead of them. 

The Triple Crown stats are still what most fans relate to.  I do agree that RBI's have a dependency on others being on base.  HR's and BA are just as valid today as ever.  There many be better stats available but the average fan doesn't know them readily like he knows Timmy's BA or Jose HR total.  When the MLB gives up on the Triple Crown I'll know you've won them over to your point.

4 hours ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

Driving in runs is a skill but RBI is a poor stat to evaluate it because it's a counting stat based on opportunity.   wRC+ is much better.

I think it's worth giving our guy some recognition for his achievement in a weak lineup. Then again Mazara had 100 ribeyes a couple years ago and he is terrible I heard. 

55 minutes ago, pcq said:

I think it's worth giving our guy some recognition for his achievement in a weak lineup. Then again Mazara had 100 ribeyes a couple years ago and he is terrible I heard. 

One thing is for sure...everyone on this team will have plenty of RBI opportunities.

18 hours ago, ron883 said:

So if all 9 guys in my lineup had 123 RBI's that would be a bad thing ? Sure there are better stats but most act like RBI's mean nothing but you got lucky because you had opportunities. It's not that at all. It's what you do with you opportunities. I don't know that Abreu had the most opportunities in the AL to drive in runs. It's not like we had a team full of great OBP guys.

He hit very well with RISP . To me that's better than a walk with RISP but walks mean more than RBI's.

17 hours ago, pcq said:

Yeah because despite being a below average hitter that year, he hit 3rd or 5th in a lineup that scored almost 800 runs. Where you hit and who hits around you really determines your RBI total. 

53 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

Yeah, but 3B is stacked and Tatis never had a bad year in the Majors. Tatis just came up and raked. 

Part of my problem is with the title of what they are measuring "Top 10 Right Now". I believe they give the most recent season the most weight but I don't know how much weight . It's hard to argue the list without knowing the exact criteria they use.

"Right Now" to me means who was best in 2019 or at the most combine the last 2 seasons but weigh 2019 at 60% and 2018 at 40% and have some criteria that also says how many games played qualifies you at the position . If they want to make it a minimum of 100 games over 2 seasons, fine, but 200 and then 250 or 300 games should weigh more, I really don't care how much WAR you accumulate in half a season because games missed from a great player hinders your  teams success a great deal,

If any of the "experts" want to deviate from what the Shredder uses , great , that's subjective and up to them but still keep in mind the list is called "Right Now" for a reason. If the Shredder isn't programmed heavily to the last couple years stats then don't call it Right Now.