Betts to Dodgers

Whisox05

Just now, Harold's Leg Lift said:

Good one!  :bang

Better than whining after the offseason they had, and I didn’t like the Mazara trade. Long story short, they probably didn’t have anything to give up to get Betts and Hahn probably didn’t want to give up something for Joc in the short term.

3 minutes ago, hi8is said:

Isn’t Maeda always hurt?

He definitely isn't someone I would call dependable or an innings eater. He always ends the year in the bullpen, which I guess helps the Twins because theoretically they are getting Pineda and Hill back at some point. But still, they gave up a lot for a guy who isn't exactly a wow arm.

31 minutes ago, hi8is said:

Joc can’t be weighed as something “missed.”

Why not?  Offer more for Joc than the Angels did.  Mazara could’ve been moved again.

As it stands now, the Sox gave up a better prospect for 2 years of Mazara than the Angels gave up for 1 year of a much better outfielder.

Edited by Moan4Yoan
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, reiks12 said:

Graterol could have pitched 150 innings at a 4.00 era for the twins this year alone. This trade is so strange for them

I thought that as well but maeda has 3 club options after this year so essentially they "fast forwarded" Garterol into a 3rd starter they control for 4 years.  It's probably not the best use of a prospect, but it's one that's immediately useful to them.  The Sox will be in a similar position next offseason one would hope.

10 minutes ago, SoxAce said:

Twins are definitely all in for 2020. I think they'll likely take the division. Beyond that however I would MUCH rsther have the Sox future. 

That’s the way to look at it. Good chance our Sox will be over .500 this season, maybe contend for a division or WC, but the winning window is still 2021-2025.

1 minute ago, Jose Abreu said:

Rich Hill and Homer Bailey look better now than they did at the time. Donaldson and Maeda are great adds, and I look forward to our response (which I don't expect to come until next winter) 

Still think Sox desperately need one more bench piece, with Holt being the perfect fit.  Right now we’re a few injuries away from seeing way too much Leury and Engel again.

2 minutes ago, Jose Abreu said:

Rich Hill and Homer Bailey look better now than they did at the time. Donaldson and Maeda are great adds, and I look forward to our response (which I don't expect to come until next winter) 

Twins aren't fooling around.  It's good for MLB to have interest outside the traditional large markets and it creates excitement of which the Sox have a legit shot to participate in down the stretch.  Good.