9.21.20 GT | White Sox @ Cleveland | 5:10PM CT

Tnetennba

Just now, JuliusO1274 said:

You obviously don't understand the issue. With another catcher on the bench we can play can both McCann and Grandal at catcher and DH in the same game. Without another catcher we can't do that. That is why we saw them playing in the same game more earlier in the year. Now we only see it on the rare occasion when Abreu DHs and Grandal plays first.

I understand the issues, but the team feels that Dyson for late and tie game situations is more valuable.

16 minutes ago, JuliusO1274 said:

We already have fast guys who can pinch run. Dyson may be a bit faster than those guys but that is not worth taking up an entire roster spot.

Hes in there so eloy won't be playing late inning defense in the playoffs. I do agree there should be a 3rd catcher on the playoff roster, albeit it should come at the expense of Mazara or EE.

13 minutes ago, wegner said:

I believe they recently won 10 in a row....they are scary enough.

The Yankees lineup is in fact much scarier than ours right now. DJ is even playing just as well as Tim at the top. The Yankees would headline the top two with Cole and Tanaka, both of whom can be hit by our guys. Even still, that is a nice top two. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, JuliusO1274 said:

You obviously don't understand the issue. With another catcher on the bench we can play can both McCann and Grandal at catcher and DH in the same game. Without another catcher we can't do that. That is why we saw them playing in the same game more earlier in the year. Now we only see it on the rare occasion when Abreu DHs and Grandal plays first.

Your last sentence is wrong. We just saw McCann catch and Grandal DH in a game last week, and that felt like a playoff lineup. I think we might see the same thing in game 1 of the playoffs, even if we don’t have another catcher on the roster. 

19 minutes ago, Buehrle>Wood said:

Hes in there so eloy won't be playing late inning defense in the playoffs. I do agree there should be a 3rd catcher on the playoff roster, albeit it should come at the expense of Mazara or EE.

I choose EE.  A .164 hitter is not fun to watch.

I like Moncada in the 2 spot. Better protection and he can take his pitches, work walks and try and be productive. I almost wonder if they should put Robert in the 2 hole a couple times this week to see if that forces him to try and approach his at-bats more team oriented. Right now its literally 450 ft swings every pitch. 

45 minutes ago, Avory said:

I'm mainly talking about the best of three playoff series where the Sox can more or less line up very good pitching to match up with the Tribe's top guys.  Let me put it another way: Sox pitching against the Tribe lineup easily makes Sox pitchers as good as the Tribe's.   That doesn't leave Cleveland much room for error, especially if Moncada and Robert wake up at all.

Let’s see how it goes this week, but no one has made it look easier pitching against the Sox hitters than the Indians starters. 

1 hour ago, JuliusO1274 said:

Jarrod Dyson is a wasted roster spot. We should have Yermin or Collins up so we could play Grandal and McCann more. Management is putting us is a worse spot to compete in the playoffs by not recognizing this. Our playoff lineup would be much better with Grandal and McCann playing every game. 

Dyson has already demonstrated his value to the club multiple times in the few weeks he has been here.

4 minutes ago, gusguyman said:

Dyson has already demonstrated his value to the club multiple times in the few weeks he has been here.

Using Dyson off the bench IS valuable. 

Having McCann and Grandal both in the lineup with another backup C on the bench is MORE valuable

Hope that cleared things up

1 hour ago, JuliusO1274 said:

We already have fast guys who can pinch run. Dyson may be a bit faster than those guys but that is not worth taking up an entire roster spot.

It matter when you need to replace Eloy or Mazara in the OF for late inning defense. If Leury wasnt injured we probably dont get Dyson.

But I also agree about the 3rd catcher but it's likely EE is going to the playoffs. .

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

6 minutes ago, joesaiditstrue said:

Using Dyson off the bench IS valuable. 

Having McCann and Grandal both in the lineup with another backup C on the bench is MORE valuable

Hope that cleared things up

This is known as a "false choice fallacy." There are numerous ways to achieve both of these so comparing their value is not an actual argument against Dyson.

Hope that cleared things up.