Fans at opening day? Fans at Opening Day! (confirmed)

Buehrle>Wood

10 minutes ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

It's a retractable roof.  

I know, but I don't trust them to make the correct decision of having the roof open on a hot day for the sake of public health.

6 minutes ago, SonofaRoache said:

The players and coaches should be fine even if the fans aren't. 

If Texas develops into a hotspot over the next month, 41,000 people in a space with circulating air, well, it's not hard for the virus to drift from the seats behind the dugout down to the players.

On 3/8/2021 at 1:25 PM, Vulture said:

That’s strange considering vaccination doesn’t prevent transmission

People need to stop spreading this horseshit. It's infuriating, and it's wrong. On top of that, you're discouraging people from getting the vaccine, which we badly need people to do to reach herd immunity. 

Evidence is mounting that covid-19 vaccines will significantly hinder the spread of covid. Do some research on it.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

11 minutes ago, chitown87 said:

People need to stop spreading this horseshit. It's infuriating, and it's wrong. On top of that, you're discouraging people from getting the vaccine, which we badly need people to do to reach herd immunity. 

Evidence is mounting that covid-19 vaccines will significantly hinder the spread of covid. Do some research on it.

Just out of curiosity, are you a medical professional or scientist?

There are conflicting, scientific reports on both sides of the argument, that vaccination may or may not hinder spread.

My wife was vaccinated and still tested positive several weeks later. She is a teacher and lives 8-4 in a petri dish. 

Vaccinated people can still spread the virus. 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Donny Lucy's Avocado Farm said:

There are conflicting, scientific reports on both sides of the argument, that vaccination may or may not hinder spread.

My wife was vaccinated and still tested positive several weeks later. She is a teacher and lives 8-4 in a petri dish. 

Yes, you can still get it, but it keeps you out of the hospital and morgue. 

15 minutes ago, Donny Lucy's Avocado Farm said:

What you described with your wife (sorry to hear that and I genuinely hope she's doing well), isn't really relevant to the point. 

They didn't study if vaccinated people can spread the disease when the vaccines were being tested and developed, so they aren't able to come out and say it. So instead, they started saying "we can't say for sure if vaccinated people can spread the virus. It's possible." Somehow, the covid stans turned that into "vaccinated people can still spread the virus! Wear two masks even if you've been vaccinated! Don't plan on getting your life back anytime soon!!!1!one!!." And of course the natural result of that is a ton of people saying "well hell, why bother getting vaccinated then?" And that sucks, because we need as many people as possible to get the shot as soon as possible for the good of public health. 

The vaccine won't 100% eliminate transmission, because it doesn't 100% eliminate infection - but it will SIGNIFICANTLY lower transmission. Evidence is accumulating showing this.

Edited by chitown87
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Fire 1

6 minutes ago, The Grinder said:

I been hearing of flu like conditions post final injection. I can deal w this for a night. 

My fiancee was knocked on her butt for about 12 hours with a fever, chills, etc. Symptoms were gone in the blink of an eye after that, though and she was fine.

1 hour ago, chitown87 said:

You don't get COVID being outside and furthermore by the time the season starts nearly 50% of Americans should be vacced.  The CDC keeps slow playing the benefits of the vac.  IT'S MADDENING!  This is the arguably the greatest human achievement ever in medicine and yet all we fucking here from the screeching media and CDC is how cautious we should still be even when vacced.

GTFO.  The vaccine was created to get us back to FULL NORMAL life. 

There are people that want COVID lockdowns to continue indefintely to serve a political agenda.  These people can fuck off.  We aren't going to have UBI because you got laid off at Starbucks last spring.  It's time to get on with normal life and economic activity.

Edited by chitownsportsfan
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Fire 1

36 minutes ago, The Grinder said:

I been hearing of flu like conditions post final injection. I can deal w this for a night. 

I was run down and head achey after both shots, fine in 24 hours.  Kind of like a hang over without the booze.

17 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

You don't get COVID being outside and furthermore by the time the season starts nearly 50% of Americans should be vacced.  The CDC keeps slow playing the benefits of the vac.  IT'S MADDENING!  This is the arguably the greatest human achievement ever in medicine and yet all we fucking here from the screeching media and CDC is how cautious we should still be even when vacced.

There are people that want COVID lockdowns to continue indefintely to serve a political agenda.  These people can fuck off.  We aren't going to have UBI because you got laid off at Starbucks last spring.  It's time to get on with normal life and economic activity.

Most teams are doing the right thing and allowing a percentage at first.  All signs, regardless of the occasional article stating otherwise, point to the majority of adults who want the vaccine to be vaccinated by May/June.  It's not inconceivable to expect to see full or nearly full capacity in stadiums by mid-summer.

But, yes, the fearmongering is tiring.  We've been told since last March that only a vaccine will get us out of this.  Now we have three great vaccines, and some of the messaging is that nothing will change.

I get my second shot on Friday.  I'll feel much safer, and when I can, I'll be going to a damn baseball game.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

Yeah I've seen some pretty maddening comments on Facebook posts from people who have gotten both doses saying they are still just going to stay home. Why get vaccinated? Why take that away from someone else who could use it that needs to go back to work or just normal life?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Fire 1

3 minutes ago, manbearpuig said:

Yeah I've seen some pretty maddening comments on Facebook posts from people who have gotten both doses saying they are still just going to stay home. Why get vaccinated? Why take that away from someone else who could use it that needs to go back to work or just normal life?

My hope is that once 70% or so of people are vacced and the virus is basically stopped dead and people see full stadiums and bars and concerts -- they realize it's safe to step off the ledge.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Donny Lucy's Avocado Farm said:

curious question... did your wife have both shots in her system when she tested positive. My wife just got her 2nd yesterday here in IL. From what she was told by the staff administering it, you need 2 weeks, after your 2nd shot for it to fully take hold. You may still test positive even after the second shot is fully in place, but wont have much (if any) symptoms. 

40 minutes ago, manbearpuig said:

Because the actual director of the CDC has said they're still doing research on whether or not fully vaccinated people can still transmit the virus, especially in lieu of the variants.

If one person in the household is vaccinated, but the rest aren't, the vaccinated person doesn't want to put the others at risk.

4 minutes ago, Quin said:

Because the actual director of the CDC has said they're still doing research on whether or not fully vaccinated people can still transmit the virus, especially in lieu of the variants.

If one person in the household is vaccinated, but the rest aren't, the vaccinated person doesn't want to put the others at risk.

At that point, do what you are doing pre-vaccine and avoid everyone since that is what you are doing anyway.

Edited by manbearpuig
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Quin said:

I know, but I don't trust them to make the correct decision of having the roof open on a hot day for the sake of public health.

If Texas develops into a hotspot over the next month, 41,000 people in a space with circulating air, well, it's not hard for the virus to drift from the seats behind the dugout down to the players.

I don't see the problem with outside events. The science says the risk of spreading COVID outside is is massively reduced. If someone feels at risk or is just scared, they can stay home. No one's forcing anyone to go. Everybody in attendance knows the risks and are consenting adults. Not sure why people are trying to police others' free will. 

1 hour ago, chitown87 said:

My fiancee was knocked on her butt for about 12 hours with a fever, chills, etc. Symptoms were gone in the blink of an eye after that, though and she was fine.

Yeah that was basically my experience. Fever, chills and body ache day 1. Really tired for a few days after that.

The hardest part of COVID for me was my boss thinking I was going to die because I had COVID and not expecting me to do my normal workload. Pairing that with quarantining for 2 weeks and I was so incredibly bored. More bored than I'd ever been before. Felt like house arrest. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

• bmags locked this topic