4-5 GT: CWS @ SEA (9:10 PM CT)

Capn12

8 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Wow...more Billy fucking Hamilton.  He’s already at 13.1 innings on the year and should surpass 20 by the end of tonight.  Meanwhile, our biggest free agent addition is sitting at a cool 1.1.  What a fucking mess.

Who's that? 

2 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Hendriks

Not to mention the fact 3 of Hendrik's 4 outs came after the Sox increased the lead to six. Yet, in a tie game, Hendriks warms up, sits down because he can't get a save, and they have Ruiz start the 9th, than have nobody else warming up to face the heart of the order before rushing Foster who promptly lost the game.

Four close games, your best reliever pitches in one, you lose three.

• Haha 1

49 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Wow...more Billy fucking Hamilton.  He’s already at 13.1 innings on the year and should surpass 20 by the end of tonight.  Meanwhile, our biggest free agent addition is sitting at a cool 1.1.  What a fucking mess.

3 years, $54MM to a guy who's on the wrong side of 30, and came from a pitching friendly environment. 

Your post illustrates why its moronic to blow piles of cash on a closer, when your team has other glaring needs. Its also revealing about this org's inability to learn anything about how the game works.

23 minutes ago, South Side Hit Men said:

Four close games, your best reliever pitches in one, you lose three.

And this is another reason why it was dumb to sign Hendriks. So many things have to go right for a closer to have impact on his team:

The SP has to do his job, as does the middle relievers, as well as the offense. Yhen, the manager has to recognize that its not 1995 anymore. 

I hope to see Hendriks' name in the box score, with a save credited to him when I look up the results tomorrow morning.

Edited by Two-Gun Pete

6 hours ago, EloyJenkins said:

Sheffield was just so-so in spring. He definitely should be hittable. they win both games this series and the narrative headed home is much different. 

They have a solid shot at winning the next two, with Lucas on the bump tomorrow and LH starters the next two nights. Hopefully they got some sleep and are into the game from the start. Hopefully Moncada can break out of his funk to start the season.

I have a good feeling about Rodon tonight. Did they fly him to Seattle early? 

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Two-Gun Pete said:

3 years, $54MM to a guy who's on the wrong side of 30, and came from a pitching friendly environment. 

Your post illustrates why its moronic to blow piles of cash on a closer, when your team has other glaring needs. Its also revealing about this org's inability to learn anything about how the game works.

And this is another reason why it was dumb to sign Hendriks. So many things have to go right for a closer to have impact on his team:

The SP has to do his job, as does the middle relievers, as well as the offense. Yhen, the manager has to recognize that its not 1995 anymore. 

I hope to see Hendriks' name in the box score, with a save credited to him when I look up the results tomorrow morning.

If you can accommodate a $175 million roster like the Cubs in 2016, it definitely helps.   Not for teams with middling payrolls.  No margin for error in asset allocation. 

43 minutes ago, Two-Gun Pete said:

My beef isn’t spending the money on Hendriks necessarily (I would have prioritized other things given our salary constraints in hindsight), but his value is tied to him pitching a lot and in all sorts of high leverage situations.  Only 1.1 innings in four close games is crazy and not using him last night is simply unacceptable.  I hope La Russa has much more aggressive plans for Liam than what we have seen so far or his signing will be a total waste of minimal financial resources we were able to deploy this winter.

5 minutes ago, SoCalChiSox said:

Old school thinking leads to old school results.

It is old school thinking but many orgs still use their best guy strictly in 9th inning save situations and there was only one of those this year as most of the times the pen blew it earlier. 

There are very good arguments for using your best reliever differently but even some very progressive GMs defended the strict 9th inning guy, for example espstein admitted when he was still in Boston that he thinks 9th inning closer is stupid but media will be much more over a 9th inning blown save than over an earlier one and also many closers prefer the fixed role and feel more comfortable with it. 

Maybe Hendricks is a guy who likes knowing when it is time for him to pitch. 

1 hour ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I know you hate Hamilton but odd to compare a position player's innings to a relief pitcher.

Just now, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

I know you hate Hamilton but odd to compare a position player's innings to a relief pitcher.

It’s obviously an unconventional comparison, but the point is Hamilton is getting a lot of rope while Hendriks isn’t.  And I don’t hate Hamilton, I just think it’s insane to use him as anything other than a pinch runner & defensive substitute at this point in his career.

7 minutes ago, Dominikk85 said:

It is old school thinking but many orgs still use their best guy strictly in 9th inning save situations and there was only one of those this year as most of the times the pen blew it earlier. 

There are very good arguments for using your best reliever differently but even some very progressive GMs defended the strict 9th inning guy, for example espstein admitted when he was still in Boston that he thinks 9th inning closer is stupid but media will be much more over a 9th inning blown save than over an earlier one and also many closers prefer the fixed role and feel more comfortable with it. 

Maybe Hendricks is a guy who likes knowing when it is time for him to pitch. 

Hendrick is a guy who is grateful to pitch, loves to pitch and loves the pressure and doesn't really care how often he works or the inning. All that being said it's certainly a different season then 2020 and managers may err on the side of cautious  this year trying not to overuse pitchers.

3 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

It’s obviously an unconventional comparison, but the point is Hamilton is getting a lot of rope while Hendriks isn’t.  And I don’t hate Hamilton, I just think it’s insane to use him as anything other than a pinch runner & defensive substitute at this point in his career.

Engel is hopefully back soon and there will be a lot less of Hamilton. Hendrick will probably lead the league in innings for a relief pitcher so not real concerned about that either.

It's a beautiful night for baseball here in the PNW.  Get ready for those Olympic mountain and Rainier shots.  Usually I get best seats I can down by Sox dugout but no go this year, have to buy in chunks of 2 or 4.  Might try and just grab a couple cheap seats for tmr and see if a buddy wants to go, supposed to be a bit warmer.  It will get cold after the sun goes down tonight.

3udkx6if9i96vFXFBHAXNeLJjDtbZbzDr5TN15ts

Edited by chitownsportsfan
  • Love 1

23 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

It's a beautiful night for baseball here in the PNW.  Get ready for those Olympic mountain and Rainier shots.  Usually I get best seats I can down by Sox dugout but no go this year, have to buy in chunks of 2 or 4.  Might try and just grab a couple cheap seats for tmr and see if a buddy wants to go, supposed to be a bit warmer.  It will get cold after the sun goes down tonight.

3udkx6if9i96vFXFBHAXNeLJjDtbZbzDr5TN15ts

I do a lot of business with Microsoft. I will definitely hit you up if work travel opens up again in the future! 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, napa_soxfan said:

I have a strange faith in Rodon. He’s got a lot to prove, but I get the sense he may be finally able to do it. 

I'm really excited to see him pitch. He finally had a reason to actually work on his craft. It's now or never. 

• Like 1

• Kyyle23 unpinned and locked this topic