The TLR Manager Thread

chitownsportsfan

Just now, ron883 said:

Phil Rogers going after James. Has Phil Rogers always been a complete hack?

The legacy media is beyond pathetic.

The Daily News was the last decent Chicago newspaper. The Tribune has always been a terrible paper. Is it still in business?

8 minutes ago, South Side Hit Men said:

The Daily News was the last decent Chicago newspaper. The Tribune has always been a terrible paper. Is it still in business?

It's pathetic. Guys like Phil Rogers and Bob Nightengale are just so bad. It almost feels like Phil has gone the way of the troll. He suggested drafting another QB after the Justin Fields pick. Also, this. 

Edited by ron883
  • Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, ron883 said:

Phil Rogers going after James. Has Phil Rogers always been a complete hack?

The best is Phil citing the “platoon” advantage in defense of Tony playing Leury despite the fact that five seconds of research would quickly show otherwise.  Phil is legit one of the worst baseball commentators in the game right now, which is funny because I used to love reading his Tribune pieces as a kid.  The more you know though.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

The best is Phil citing the “platoon” advantage in defense of Tony playing Leury despite the fact that five seconds of research would quickly show otherwise.  Phil is legit one of the worst baseball commentators in the game right now, which is funny because I used to love reading his Tribune pieces as a kid.  The more you know though.

I don’t mind Phil, but did he just call Jimbo a spoiled White Sox fan? How can anyone be a spoiled White Sox fan?

• Like 1
  • Love 3

3 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Lol...I’ve enjoyed my time as a Sox fan, but hard to say any of us have been spoiled

I'd love to be spoiled by 2 seasons in a row in the postseason some day.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

7 hours ago, South Side Hit Men said:

He writes for Forbes now, for what it's worth.

How anyone employs him when there are so many young, talented journalists out there is beyond me.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Tony is playing bench guys to keep the starters fresh for the playoffs, I heard. No?!?

I thought that meant the playoffs this year were guaranteed!

The funny thing with the whole "keeping starters fresh" narrative is that he hasn't give old man Abreu one day off, and Jose has been struggling mightily. He's just sitting rookies because they are rookies, in favor of shitty bench players he adores.

Edited by ron883
  • Like 1
  • Fire 1

12 minutes ago, ron883 said:

The funny thing with the whole "keeping starters fresh" narrative is that he hasn't give old man Abreu one day off, and Jose has been struggling mightily. He's just sitting rookies because they are rookies, in favor of shitty bench players he adores.

Yeah, that's how I see it as well. It's a problem too because now they might have been able to bank a couple extra wins earlier in the year that they lost out on, and now they're short handed.

I still think sitting Mercedes in a divisional game because he was "late" to "teach him a lesson" hurt the team today as well. Lamb came up in biggest spot of the game offensively and k'ed, and the offense never got anything going. I just don't get how you send your player a message by sitting him. I'm not sure what that accomplishes outside of hurting your teams chances.

29 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Tony is playing bench guys to keep the starters fresh for the playoffs, I heard. No?!?

I thought that meant the playoffs this year were guaranteed!

The only sure things in this life Ray are Death, Taxes, and that Jason Benetti will mention that Nick Solak is from Chicago 25 times a game when we play the Rangers.

1 minute ago, wegner said:

The only sure things in this life Ray are Death, Taxes, and that Jason Benetti will mention that Nick Solak is from Chicago 25 times a game when we play the Rangers.

Like Phil Rogers writing about Curtis Granderson or Cliff Floyd.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, wegner said:

Does Jason say “Chicago”, the “Chicagoland area”, “here”, or Naperville? I listen to games, then watch the condensed game, so I honestly don’t know. 

Solak is from the suburbs, went to HS in Naperville. Close, but not Chicago.

8 minutes ago, South Side Hit Men said:

Does Jason say “Chicago”, the “Chicagoland area”, “here”, or Naperville? I listen to games, then watch the condensed game, so I honestly don’t know. 

He seems to mention that Nick grew up a Sox Fan and something about a bar in the suburbs numerous times.  It was an awful lot that's all I know.

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, South Side Hit Men said:

Do those condensed games skip SoxMath and the Nationwide Jingle?  If so, I'll have to give that a try.

One more thing with regards to La Russa and Mercedes; this is the same man that thought Jose Canseco hanging out with Madonna was a good enough excuse for not being on time and let him in the line up that day, but Mercedes being late? nah lets keep Jake Lamb in with the bases jucied, another smooth brain play by our Hall of Famer Baseball Person; because he legit.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I am not sure why TLR is still employed.  It was found out he made a racial joke a few years ago to an employee at his animal charity, who laughed at it.  He also defended this employee who was accused of being a racist by other employees of the charity.  For a guy who had to say "I'm not a racist" in his introductory press conference, that is troubling. 

Also from a baseball standpoint he's awful, he's no better than Ricky.  He manages like an old 70 something that's been out of the game for 9 years.  He is actively hurting the team with his continued employment.  

• Thanks 2

Phil Rogers is a joke too... he once ranked offseason trades of MLB teams by the +/- of players they received or traded away.

He's just bitter that the internet really exposed how bad of a sports writer he is.  Sports writers should make you more informed about the sports they write about.  You don't learn anything from Phil Rogers, he actively just makes people dumber with his thoughts.  

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, DirtySox said:

Anything interesting in Passan's article? "La Russa's Continued Mistakes."

Yeah, he said:

One can forgive Tony La Russa for a difficult transition back into the dugout. He was away for 10 years. And yet at some point, that excuse gets tired, and with some of La Russa's maneuvering, one can understand why the patience in some parts of the White Sox's clubhouse is growing thin.

among a longer detail of his missteps

• Thanks 1

Between the awful lineups and bad bullpen management, not sure how anyone can defend TLR at this point.

He's either mailing it in or just doesn't have it anymore because he's either too old or the game has passed him by.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, y2chae said:

Between the awful lineups and bad bullpen management, not sure how anyone can defend TLR at this point.

He's either mailing it in or just doesn't have it anymore because he's either too old or the game has passed him by.

But hes a hall of fame baseball person, legit!

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, y2chae said:

Or he’s trying to revert the game back to the way he believes it should be played.  Meanwhile us Sox fans have to suffer with his terrible decision making.