ELOY back Monday against KC

2Deep

32 minutes ago, DoUEvenShift said:

How awesome would it be if his first game back is the Field of Dreams game? It actually seems plausible with this new timetable!

If he is back by then, he better be playing DH for that game (and hopefully most from there on out.)

2 hours ago, chitownsportsfan said:

he had surgery in what, middle of march?  so he's now 3 months out of surgery and is probably resuming some baseball activities.  He still has a long way to go as you noted.  He needs at least 60 days to ramp up and build strength and ROM.  I stilll think early Sep is the plan.  Get him 20 games at the MLB level, 10 or so in AAA and hopefully he's in some sort of a good spot for the playoffs.

"10 or so in AAA."

Don't agree with the length of that rehab assignment. I'd say a week. At the most. 5 at bats a game will give him 35 at bats against live pitching to get his timing back. That's fine. If he's already resuming baseball activities, he's already in the cage. Don't agree that he needs to face minor league pitching for 2 weeks. 

Edited by Soxsi75

3 minutes ago, Soxsi75 said:

"10 or so in AAA."

Don't agree with the length of that rehab assignment. I'd say a week. At the most. 5 at bats a game will give him 35 at bats against live pitching to get his timing back. That's fine. If he's already resuming baseball activities, he's already in the cage. Don't agree that he needs to face minor league pitching for 2 weeks. 

He hasn't seen a live pitch in almost 3 months.  If he does "baseball activity" for a month before rehab, it will mean he will have been away from baseball for almost 4 months.  He needs more than a week to get back into the swing of things.  There is a big difference between hitting in the cage against low minor leaguers or soft toss, versus actually seeing some game speed.

18 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

He hasn't seen a live pitch in almost 3 months.  If he does "baseball activity" for a month before rehab, it will mean he will have been away from baseball for almost 4 months.  He needs more than a week to get back into the swing of things.  There is a big difference between hitting in the cage against low minor leaguers or soft toss, versus actually seeing some game speed.

"He needs more than a week to get back into the swing of things."

Disagree. I've heard many hitters say that the length of spring training is too long and they only really need about a week to get their timing back and they've been away from "baseball activity" for about 5 months with the off season. Not trying to downplay the importance of it. But two weeks? No sir. 

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Soxsi75 said:

"He needs more than a week to get back into the swing of things."

Disagree. I've heard many hitters say that the length of spring training is too long and they only really need about a week to get their timing back and they've been away from "baseball activity" for about 5 months with the off season. Not trying to downplay the importance of it. But two weeks? No sir. 

Um, spring training is six weeks of games preceded by at least 2 weeks of activity,  without coming off of injury.  Even Engel was was out just 2 months got more time than that.

4 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Um, spring training is six weeks of games preceded by at least 2 weeks of activity,  without coming off of injury.  Even Engel was was out just 2 months got more time than that.

Yeah......And like I said, I've heard hitters quoted that's it's too long. That they don't need that much time. And Engel kept having set backs, which can happen with hamstring injuries. 

35 minutes ago, Soxsi75 said:

Yeah......And like I said, I've heard hitters quoted that's it's too long. That they don't need that much time. And Engel kept having set backs, which can happen with hamstring injuries. 

There is a gigantic difference between a week and six weeks,  especially when coming off of major injury.

15 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

There is a gigantic difference between a week and six weeks,  especially when coming off of major injury.

OK, maybe I expressed myself poorly. I'm not saying that now that he's beginning baseball activities again that he should now begin his rehab assignment and be back in a week. Not saying that at all, as that would be ridiculous.  I imagine that now that he's beginning baseball activities, I imagine he'll be back in about 2 months. Around the middle of August. Which since he got hurt in mid March would be how long they said he would be out back then in the first place. I'm just saying that once he is ready to begin his rehab assignment, that that phase shouldn't last 2 weeks. You are not going to change my mind that a major league hitter needs to face minor league pitching for 2 weeks to get his timing back, when as I've said for the third time now, major league hitters have been quoted as saying they don't need that long to get their timing back. 

I keep thinking about Eloy and have come to the conclusion he can only be a DH. He's just gonna get hurt out there. You know what this means? We must trade Yermin. Too many DH types on the team. Eloy can't move to 1B cause Jose has a few good years left.

Maybe  just maybe Sox could move Eloy to RF and have Jermaine Dye talk to him on how to play the position and not hurt yourself. (I realize Dye was no phenom defensively).

Anyhow just the thought of Eloy back in LF concerns me. I love his bat, though.

38 minutes ago, Soxsi75 said:

OK, maybe I expressed myself poorly. I'm not saying that now that he's beginning baseball activities again that he should now begin his rehab assignment and be back in a week. Not saying that at all, as that would be ridiculous.  I imagine that now that he's beginning baseball activities, I imagine he'll be back in about 2 months. Around the middle of August. Which since he got hurt in mid March would be how long they said he would be out back then in the first place. I'm just saying that once he is ready to begin his rehab assignment, that that phase shouldn't last 2 weeks. You are not going to change my mind that a major league hitter needs to face minor league pitching for 2 weeks to get his timing back, when as I've said for the third time now, major league hitters have been quoted as saying they don't need that long to get their timing back. 

You said they said Spring Training was too long. That is six weeks.  That is not the same as a two week rehab stint after not playing baseball games for 4 months after a major injury.

2 hours ago, Dick Allen said:

Rehab assignments can only last 20 days, so if all goes well, Eloy will be hitting bombs and saying hi to hi mom the first or second week of August.

I want him before this, but if his return lines up with the Field of Dreams game it'd be foolish to not have him walk out of the cornfield.

• Haha 2

• Heads22 changed the title to ELOY back Monday against KC