Trade Deadline Thread

KrankinSox

53 minutes ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

I was told they're going take a big swing so until I hear otherwise that's what I think they're going to do.  

Doubting anything big happens. Big would mean someone on the 26 is getting moved in all likelihood. Who is the most likely ? Keuchel ? Who needs starting pitching ? Toronto, Mets, Phillies, Padres.

Unless the Sox think they can get someone impactful like Kimbrel for Crochet Sheets and Burger.

21 minutes ago, WhiteSoxFan1993 said:

Baez and Story are running out of suitors.

I know I'll catch flak from the "why do you even care about the cubs crowd", but I secretly want the cubs to bungle all of their trades for all of their stars like Bryant, Baez, Rizzo, and Kimbrel, and then watch those guys all walk in the off-season with the Cubs doing nothing to improve their position moving forward.

• Love 1

30 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Doubting anything big happens. Big would mean someone on the 26 is getting moved in all likelihood. Who is the most likely ? Keuchel ? Who needs starting pitching ? Toronto, Mets, Phillies, Padres.

Unless the Sox think they can get someone impactful like Kimbrel for Crochet Sheets and Burger.

Do your really think that it would take all of those guys and Kimbrel's contract, to acquire him? I don't think so. Not even close, unless the Cubs picked up a good portion of the money.

18 minutes ago, Lillian said:

Do your really think that it would take all of those guys and Kimbrel's contract, to acquire him? I don't think so. Not even close, unless the Cubs picked up a good portion of the money.

I just threw some names out there for someone impactful like Kimbrel , not necessarily Kimbrel. I didn't analyze anything. It's hard for a layman to figure it out when there's a lot going on in Kimbrel's contract:

Contract Notes:
  • 2022 Vesting/Club option includes a $1M buyout
  • Vest with 110 games finished across 2020/2021
    & 55 games finished in 2021
    & passes a physical
  • 2022 Buyout increases
    $1M each for 53 games finished in 2020, & 2021

I have no idea if he will reach the vesting option portion of his contract. If he does he gets $16M next year . Cubs might eat some of his contract to get more prospects. It's even likely that they do.

Maybe someone out there knows more about how close he is to those 110 games finished or if they are even possible to reach.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

Biggest jump/fall
Here are the players whose ranks changed the most from the 2020 preseason list to the 2021 preseason list.

Jump: Bryan Ramos, 3B (2020: NR | 2021: 16) -- The Cuban defector has yet to make his full-season debut but has the potential to hit for average and power while remaining at the hot corner.

Fall: Konnor Pilkington, LHP (2020: 24 | 2021: NR) -- A third-round pick in 2018, he saw his stuff regress as a junior at Mississippi State and it never has come all the way back”

I little blurb from late March.  

2 minutes ago, JPR said:

Biggest jump/fall
Here are the players whose ranks changed the most from the 2020 preseason list to the 2021 preseason list.

Jump: Bryan Ramos, 3B (2020: NR | 2021: 16) -- The Cuban defector has yet to make his full-season debut but has the potential to hit for average and power while remaining at the hot corner.

Fall: Konnor Pilkington, LHP (2020: 24 | 2021: NR) -- A third-round pick in 2018, he saw his stuff regress as a junior at Mississippi State and it never has come all the way back”

I little blurb from late March.  

Yea but even the 2021 preseason lists are very old considering there were still guys like Vaughn , Kopech and Crochet on it and 2020 season didn't even happen. We see a lot of the prospects given up in trades are having good seasons which seems to be outweighing rankings  now.

3 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Yea but even the 2021 preseason lists are very old considering there were still guys like Vaughn , Kopech and Crochet on it and 2020 season didn't even happen. We see a lot of the prospects given up in trades are having good seasons which seems to be outweighing rankings  now.

Sure, but even if you adjust him in, where are you putting him?  In the 20's somewhere?  With as much as we have heard about how bad the Sox farm system now is, it's still not that big of a loss.

7 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Sure, but even if you adjust him in, where are you putting him?  In the 20's somewhere?  With as much as we have heard about how bad the Sox farm system now is, it's still not that big of a loss.

I'm just informing anyone looking at the rankings that they don't mean much now. It's not a commentary on the trade. When I saw the trade going down before I knew who it was Cleveland was getting . I figured it was a minor league starting pitcher and if I had given it much thought before I actually saw Pilkington's name I probably would have guessed that it was him just based on this seasons results as the kind of pitcher Cleveland likes.

He’s performing well in AA, just not a huge loss given the Sox are contending now.   Watch me eat my words tho Lol. Dude might be a starter one day, he also may never make it.  He’s a lottery ticket.  Glad the south siders got a proven veteran that can produce now

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

I'm just informing anyone looking at the rankings that they don't mean much now. It's not a commentary on the trade. When I saw the trade going down before I knew who it was Cleveland was getting . I figured it was a minor league starting pitcher and if I had given it much thought before I actually saw Pilkington's name I probably would have guessed that it was him just based on this seasons results as the kind of pitcher Cleveland likes.

Righties with good control and a FB/SL combo? I know you're just letting us know you would've known the deal before it was public but how is Pilkington the kind of pitcher Cleveland likes?

8 minutes ago, raBBit said:

Righties with good control and a FB/SL combo? I know you're just letting us know you would've known the deal before it was public but how is Pilkington the kind of pitcher Cleveland likes?

Pilkington is a lefty. He's got a big, sturdy build you'd expect out of a workhorse. Isn't his changeup his best pitch? I read somebody call it plus-plus, which is likely a stretch.

Edited by ron883