It’s morning and Tony LaRussa is trending again.

Balta1701

18 minutes ago, wrathofhahn said:

First of all it's obvious by who are his loudest critics on the board. It's also obvious because the national media who go after TLR for his age and being "out of touch" doesn't go after Dusty Baker in a similar way.

I also look at the reaction to Guillen when he was rumored to be interested in coming back people mentioned him being a traitor and quitter but noone mentioned him being an admitted drunk as one of the reasons he shouldn't be hired. In any case I've probably said enough back to lurking.

There is a big difference between drinking  and being busted at least twice that we know of for DUI, and then trying to use your position to get out of those charges.

Now back into your hole.

• Like 1

On 7/31/2021 at 9:25 AM, Dick Allen said:

It would have been nice had he checked on Jose before Pushing Pair ez away. And I do love the fake outrage where he is holding on to Cairo for dear life, knowing that there is a decent chance he gets his ass kicked if he got into anything real, but as a Sox fan who has always wondered why this guy is managing the team, this isn’t really embarrassing. I do wonder about his logic. This clearly was unintentional and no one felt worse about it than the pitcher, yet he almost cheers when Yermin was intentionally thrown at earlier, using it wasn’t at the head as partial reason not to care. Well, intentionally trying to hit someone has a better shot of being a beanball than just trying to throw inside, and other body parts can be injured by getting hit by a sphere coming at you 97 MPH. Just thankfully Jose is OK.

It would have only been better if he stepped over (or even on) Jose.

1 hour ago, wrathofhahn said:

First of all it's obvious by who are his loudest critics on the board. It's also obvious because the national media who go after TLR for his age and being "out of touch" doesn't go after Dusty Baker in a similar way.

I also look at the reaction to Guillen when he was rumored to be interested in coming back people mentioned him being a traitor and quitter but noone mentioned him being an admitted drunk as one of the reasons he shouldn't be hired. In any case I've probably said enough back to lurking.

Because age alone doesn't dictate being out of touch? Dusty isn't clinging onto the past like LaRussa has on many occasions.

And LaRussa defending Abreu was great, and I had no beef with it. Felt a little bad for Perez, but at the same time Tony's job is to be overly protective of his guys. In classic Tony fashion he plays favorites (see Abreu situation vs Mercedes) but that's whatever. Tony is an asshat but this wasn't an occasion where he was an asshat.

How many DUI's has Ozzie gotten? I must have missed it. How many times has Ozzie passed out at a stop sign from getting hammered and driving?

Edited by Look at Ray Ray Run
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, NWINFan said:

I don't know what LaRussa's exact politics are and could care less. I'm not even saying he is doing a bad job this year. My concern was if he was the right choice in the long run. This was a big decision, and it seemed to be made with little thought.

It was made by the Chairman. Maybe he flipped a coin or maybe he analyzed it for days.  

18 hours ago, wrathofhahn said:

It isn't even that TLR been around the game longer then most of these know it all posters have been alive and has seen it all. He knows what the Indians did was reckless by calling a pitch high and inside with a pitcher who had lost his command.

He also articulated the issue of what happened perfectly and why he was upset/disappointed with the Indians and to be quite honest in the olden days the next Indians hitter would have gotten one right in the ribs. They didn't. So what exactly are the wusses on the board angry about? The fact he defended Abreu? Called out the Indians? If he didn't would they have been happy? Nope.

The reason? Their hatred of TLR is completely not related to baseball it isn't honestly even to do with his DUI. They are political bigots and they will continue to attack one the greatest managers of all time as somehow unqualified no matter how ridiculous he continues to make them look in the process.

Can't disagree.  I realize I am not ever going to like every managerial decision any manager makes, but this idea that TLR is some blithering idiot in the dugout is laughable.  I have gotten to the point of just ignoring the nonsense now.  I might add that Abreu was hit again in Sunday's game and guess what it wasn't on purpose.  I don't think Abreu cared about the intent as he appeared to be fed up with it.  So I guess Abreu is a jackass for getting irritated about it because they didn't mean it?

• Like 2

Pre gamed a little too much and hoping to stay awake for the game. My waiter / former student / son of the owners, kept filling my glass and bringing food samples. Damn I'm old. Not TLR old,  but I have to compliment him on staying awake for late games. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, DoUEvenShift said:

I thought the same thing at first. The math checks out, this was from last year:

That is really weird.  I was just thinking from the point of all the other teams that were playing games that he wasn't managing (or against).  I guess because there weren't as many teams back then.

On 8/3/2021 at 7:52 PM, DoUEvenShift said:

I thought the same thing at first. The math checks out, this was from last year:

What often doesn't get discussed is he also played in the majors for 6 years and played a total of 16 years in the minors plus majors and 1295 games. He is literally a baseball lifer.

But some would have you believe he is some sort of idiot. Yes he is a hardass and honestly he has every right to be. He knows the game of baseball inside and out.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, wrathofhahn said:

What often doesn't get discussed is he also played in the majors for 6 years and played a total of 16 years in the minors plus majors and 1295 games. He is literally a baseball lifer.

But some would have you believe he is some sort of idiot. Yes he is a hardass and honestly he has every right to be. He knows the game of baseball inside and out.

Ken Harrelson played professionally for 9 years and was a broadcaster for 42. Let’s make him the GM.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Fire 1

(6) Rick Telander on Twitter: "Tony LaRussa. Drunk at a stoplight awhile back. Drunk again recently . But not just drunk—arrogant, obnoxious drunk. Why, White Sox? This old man is your future?" / Twitter

Congrats to Rick Telander for the being the first member of the "The Sox can't hire LaRussa because he drove drunk" media club to be arrested for DUI himself.  Wonder if TLR will tweet today questioning his ability to hold a job.

Robservations: Chicago honors legendary WGN sports editor with 'Jack Rosenberg Way' - Robert Feder

17 minutes ago, ThirdGen said:

(6) Rick Telander on Twitter: "Tony LaRussa. Drunk at a stoplight awhile back. Drunk again recently . But not just drunk—arrogant, obnoxious drunk. Why, White Sox? This old man is your future?" / Twitter

Congrats to Rick Telander for the being the first member of the "The Sox can't hire LaRussa because he drove drunk" media club to be arrested for DUI himself.  Wonder if TLR will tweet today questioning his ability to hold a job.

Robservations: Chicago honors legendary WGN sports editor with 'Jack Rosenberg Way' - Robert Feder

LOL!!!!

23 minutes ago, ThirdGen said:

I never considered Telander to be all that bright. I stopped reading him a long time ago.

35 minutes ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

Holier than thou assholes beware.

Instant Karma's gonna get you

Gonna knock you right on the head

20 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

Tony is  a great guy. He divorced his first wife leaving a 5 year old and 3 year old behind. He now doesn't even acknowledge they exist.  

See, here's the thing. Nobody's perfect and a lot of us have the same faults as the people we're criticizing. But at the same time, I think the world is a better place if character matters when choosing our leaders in the worlds of sports, politics, business, etc. People keep being assholes because nobody holds them accountable for it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 8/5/2021 at 8:33 AM, Balta1701 said:

Ken Harrelson played professionally for 9 years and was a broadcaster for 42. Let’s make him the GM.

This is a ridiculous post but you already knew that.

TLR is literally already in the HOF as a manager. He didn't need to stretch his qualifications for the job. I mean really.

Edited by wrathofhahn