We will see what this team is made of…

hi8is

I'm not sure what is meant by sportsmen in the context it has been used here. IMO,,,,sportsmanship is more than trying to win every year by throwing money at player payroll. IMO sportsmanship involves respect for your teammates, your opponents, your fans, and your city. It is about playing to ones potential within the rules and then knowing how to win grace and how to lose with dignity.

• Haha 2

On 8/1/2021 at 12:53 AM, hi8is said:

August 12th to August 26th

8/12 - 8/15: 3 vs. NYY

8/16 - 8/19: 4 vs. OAK

8/20 - 8/22: 3 @ TB

8/23 - 8/26: 4 @ TOR

One off day which falls on the 13th. After that it’s 16 straight games, 13 of them against winning teams who are all playoff bound or playoff hopeful.

I always hope for the White Sox to win of course. And so I certainly hope they come through this stretch playing well. But that being said. And this is a fact. There is no such thing as "setting a tone" for the playoffs by beating possible playoff teams in the regular season. There just isn't. That is something made up by the media to try and create interest and to have something to write about. In 1983 we beat the Orioles 4 times in a row in August. How'd that season end? On the other side, in 2005 the Angels came in here and swept us in September. Again. How did that season turn out? What's important is we have a 9.5 game lead and therefore wiggle room to do the things we need to do to get and stay healthy and ready for the playoffs. That's it. If it means losing some games because of the timing of throwing second line pitching sometimes between now and the end of the year to be ready for the playoffs, then so be it. We don't get any extra points for winning the division by more than 15 games, and it DEFINITELY doesn't mean that if we lose a series to Tampa Bay in August we say "gee, I guess this means we can't beat them in the playoffs." That is flat out stupid talk. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Soxsi75 said:

I always hope for the White Sox to win of course. And so I certainly hope they come through this stretch playing well. But that being said. And this is a fact. There is no such thing as "setting a tone" for the playoffs by beating possible playoff teams in the regular season. There just isn't. That is something made up by the media to try and create interest and to have something to write about. In 1983 we beat the Orioles 4 times in a row in August. How'd that season end? On the other side, in 2005 the Angels came in here and swept us in September. Again. How did that season turn out? What's important is we have a 9.5 game lead and therefore wiggle room to do the things we need to do to get and stay healthy and ready for the playoffs. That's it. If it means losing some games because of the timing of throwing second line pitching sometimes between now and the end of the year to be ready for the playoffs, then so be it. We don't get any extra points for winning the division by more than 15 games, and it DEFINITELY doesn't mean that if we lose a series to Tampa Bay in August we say "gee, I guess this means we can't beat them in the playoffs." That is flat out stupid talk. 

There certainly is a lot to be said about playing against the highest competition and evaluating your performance… it tells you a lot.

It’s so “stupid” that every organized team in baseball has an entire department devoted to it.

Present results do not predict future outcomes, that isn’t the point. Evaluation is.

13 minutes ago, hi8is said:

There certainly is a lot to be said about playing against the highest competition and evaluating your performance… it tells you a lot.

It’s so “stupid” that every organized team in baseball has an entire department devoted to it.

Present results do not predict future outcomes, that isn’t the point. Evaluation is.

You just said yourself. "Present results do not predict future outcomes, that isn't the point." Actually, that IS my point in my post. You say evaluation is. OK. But isn't part of evaluating looking at the results? My whole point is how they play against a team in the regular season isn't going to have any effect on how they perform against them in the playoffs. I came up with two examples of this in my post right off the top of my head. If I wanted to really dig deeper I can probably come up with thousands more if I involve all other teams. I said there isn't any "setting the tone" by regular season results influencing post season one's and I'm sticking to that because it's true. 

Edited by Soxsi75

1 minute ago, Soxsi75 said:

You just said yourself. "Present results do not predict future outcomes, that isn't the point." Actually, that IS my point in my post. You say evaluation is. OK. But isn't part of evaluating looking at the results? My whole point is how they play against a team in the regular season isn't going to have any effect on how they perform against them in the playoffs. I came up with two examples of this in my post right off the top of my head. If I wanted to really dig deeper I can probably come up with thousands more if I involve all other teams. I said there isn't any "setting the tone" by regular season results influencing post season one's and I'm sticking to that because it's true. 

I’m not here to argue. Welcome to the Hall of Fame list!

• 2 weeks later...

While we lost two of three… and found some glaring holes, there’s a lot to take away here that can bring about hope.

1.) Get the pen right

2.) Get the pen right

3.) Get the bats going with RISP

4.) Tighten up on defense

5.) Get TLR a rule book

6.) Hope the starting rotation can get a third wind

We saw this team fight it out on each night and that passion bodes well if we can get some key players Otto the level they can preform at.

I don’t think we see this team with a first round exit. There’s to many things that can swing to our favor with this team in the final stretch.

4 minutes ago, hi8is said:

They level of insight these games can provide makes me salivate.

Well TLR erased 2 base runners today by not challenging easy calls at first. We lost the managing battle. Hows that so far?  I can talk dirtier if you want me to.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, harkness99 said:

2-1 against Tampa Bay

2-5 against Houston

1-5 against the yankees

so against truly contending playoff teams so far we are 5-11...

yeah its not the end of the world yada yada... of course not

but it doesnt exactly inspire confidence.

This makes me sad.

On 8/1/2021 at 10:56 AM, southsider2k5 said:

They need to be healthy before we really see what they are made of.

It will be great if we get healthy, but as you look around MLB, most teams are not healthy and most won't be in October.  Every team has players out.  As we saw this weekend, the Yankees had 5 positional starters out and took the series and nearly swept us.  It will probably take a few weeks for Eloy and Robert to settle in. We have to hope that Grandal returns to form especially since he is a player who often struggles after the AS break. Maybe this year that trend will reverse w his time off.  In fairness, our starting pitching has been as healthy as any staff in the AL until Rodon went down this week.  

Luckily we don't have anyone lost for the season like some teams already have. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, harkness99 said:

2-1 against Tampa Bay

2-5 against Houston

1-5 against the yankees

so against truly contending playoff teams so far we are 5-11...

yeah its not the end of the world yada yada... of course not

but it doesnt exactly inspire confidence.

A 5 - 11 record against contending playoff teams while fielding the Chicago Knight Sox.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, hi8is said:

A 5 - 11 record against contending playoff teams while fielding the Chicago Knight Sox.

And the Yankees had more players out in this series.  That excuse is kinda getting old. There is enough season left no doubt.  Just saying. 

• Thanks 2

13 minutes ago, hi8is said:

Not an excuse… just a part of the reality.

Yes. The Yankees having more players out is also reality.   That doesn't mean I think the Yankees will make it farther than the Sox this year.   Can't cherry pick points.  

• Thanks 2

46 minutes ago, Sox80 said:

Yes. The Yankees having more players out is also reality.   That doesn't mean I think the Yankees will make it farther than the Sox this year.   Can't cherry pick points.  

I don’t pick fruit, I invite everyone to the orchard.