8/4 Game Thread Sox vs Royals 7:10 1st pitch

5 minutes ago, South Side Hit Men said:

Is the defense better than two years ago?

Some positions yes, some a tie, some no. Hoping the starters return soon.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/PHI/PHI201908040.shtml

Starting Lineup August 4, 2019 @ Philadelphia

1. CF Leury Garcia (Goodwin)
  2. SS Tim Anderson
  3. 1B Jose Abreu
  4. RF John Jay (Sheets)
  5. LF Eloy Jimenez (Vaughn)
  6. 3B Ryan Goins (Moncada)
  7. C James McCann (Collins)
  8. 2B Yolmer Sanchez (Hernandez)
  9. SP Reynaldo Lopez

Comparing a rebuild lineup to a competitive lineup? Uhhhhh.

The Sox Park is the best place in MLB to have this godawful outfield defense. Sheets needs to play and Goodwin deserves to play against RHP. 

After this week, Robert returns and with continued health there is no reason Goodwin should play CF again.  For me, he's 5th on the depth chart in CF: 1. Robert 2. Engel 3. Hamilton 4. Garcia 5. Goodwin.

Goodwin has hammered RHP and came up with a lot of big hits. His defense has been atrocious though. He gets the worst jumps. Night or day. Home or away. Sucks because he seems to have the natural ability required but just can't get a bead on the ball. I thought he had the reputation of being a solid outfielder but I've more confidence in Vaughn when they're going after a ball. 

Before last night the offense has sucked for a good amount of the past month.  This is an offensive based lineup that does not have Garcia it so I am happy.   I am surprised there is no Garcia. 

Engel not playing back to back games seems to just be a cautionary plan.  We may not see Robert play back to back until later September. 

Interview with Liam Hendricks...Chuck asked him if he was surprised that the Sox traded for Kimbrel...."Not at all...for one I had just blown a save." :D  That is funny. 

He also basically said he will do whatever they need to win.

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Texsox said:

Let's lose a game tonight. Play gawd awful. Maybe Tony could do some old guy shit like call for a bullpen arm but not have anyone warming up. 

I don't know, Tex. I just ain't feelin' ya.

I say we got those Kansas City Royals right where we want 'em.

It is absolutely true that as TA goes so goes the White Sox offense...that is why I was pretty shocked that they did lose that playoff series to the Athletics when Timmy had such an outstanding series.  

13 minutes ago, Tomtom said:

Anyone else feel the Tigers will overtake the Guardians by the end of the season?

It might be even before that. They play each other this weekend. 

Edited by chw42