8/14 Sox vs Yankees - 6:10 CT first pitch

Key take away from this game:

- Don’t let Judge beat us. Even if you have to give him the Barry Bonds treatment- don’t throw him a strike, and certainly not a fastball. He beat us by himself.  Also don’t let Gallo beat us either.

- Kimbrel has to be the closer.  Hendriks is giving up too many homers as a closer.

- We need to put our best players in the lineup regardless of matchups. That means no Lamb at DH, no Mendick pinch hitting, no Goodwin in the outfield.

5 minutes ago, RG23SoxFan said:

I am guessing I would be in the very low minority, but considering our division lead I would keep using him in the 9th to close games.  I truly believe confidence is an issue and the only way he will get it back is by having some success.  I am hoping we have a one run lead going to the 9th tomorrow and he pitches.

Tony pulled him not to run his pitch count up.  There's a decent chance that happens tomorrow.  That being said, I'd use Kimbrel in the 9th tomorrow and give Liam a save opportunity in Oakland.

4 minutes ago, fathom said:

But why not hope Kimbrel excels as closer with Hendriks doing well as set-up?  It might not work at all, but it truly seems to be the best use of resources come the postseason if everyone plays to their potential.

Yup it’s definitely a pride thing but looks like they have the solution in house which is very fortunate for them

1 minute ago, fathom said:

But why not hope Kimbrel excels as closer with Hendriks doing well as set-up?  It might not work at all, but it truly seems to be the best use of resources come the postseason if everyone plays to their potential.

Idk I suppose Hendriks would be able to deal with flipping roles with Kimbrel, but I believe it is tough on players mentally when they feel like the team is bailing on them for some short term failure.  Prior to the his last 2 outings Hendriks had been pretty good, not great and I think it's a little too quick to pull the plug on him.

1 minute ago, RG23SoxFan said:

Idk I suppose Hendriks would be able to deal with flipping roles with Kimbrel, but I believe it is tough on players mentally when they feel like the team is bailing on them for some short term failure.  Prior to the his last 2 outings Hendriks had been pretty good, not great and I think it's a little too quick to pull the plug on him.

He’s not been nearly good enough to keep his closer job after the last two games

Just now, hankchifan said:

Collins almost hit a grand slam in this game.

I like him, I just think he's not going to make it with the Sox. He's under .200 now as well. I don't think he was gonna be hero tonight. Maybe his time will come.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, RG23SoxFan said:

Liam has publicly said he doesn't care where he pitches.  He knew when they made the trade that this was a possibility.  Maybe it's for show but considering his career, I think he'd be fine with it.

• Like 1

Just now, fathom said:

He’s not been nearly good enough to keep his closer job after the last two games

Irresponsible of the TV crew to not keep the camera on Hendriks when he came out. He was pissed, presumably at himself and not Tony for yanking him and subjecting him to a few boo birds. Was anybody at the game? I heard a few boos on the telecast.

1 minute ago, fathom said:

He was good enough to be an all star so he was pitching fairly well.  If you erase the last 2 outings there would be no talk of him being taken out of the closer role.  The main reason I would have a little patience with making a change is due to their lead in the division.  Obviously if it continues you would have to consider other options, I just would give it more time to see if he can work through it.

It should also be said that Liam looked amazing in the first two pitches to Judge.  Something happened after that wild pitch.  I think he lost confidence in that pitch.  If I have to guess, I don't think pitchers have a lot of confidence throwing to Zach.  He really needs to go once Grandal is healthy.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Colome's Hat said:

Liam has publicly said he doesn't care where he pitches.  He knew when they made the trade that this was a possibility.  Maybe it's for show but considering his career, I think he'd be fine with it.

Yes, and I would wait and see if he has success closing out a couple of games and then possibly do this.  If you do it now it clearly would feel like a demotion rather than just an experimental thing.  That said it seems like Hendriks is the type of pitcher that would use it to motivate him so it might work out fine.

16 minutes ago, hankchifan said:

Key take away from this game:

- Don’t let Judge beat us. Even if you have to give him the Barry Bonds treatment- don’t throw him a strike, and certainly not a fastball. He beat us by himself.  Also don’t let Gallo beat us either.

- Kimbrel has to be the closer.  Hendriks is giving up too many homers as a closer.

- We need to put our best players in the lineup regardless of matchups. That means no Lamb at DH, no Mendick pinch hitting, no Goodwin in the outfield.

1.) The Yankees lineup is about 50% of “don’t let him beat you” types

2.) Kimbrel gave up a bomb also

3.) We’re playing 15 straight games without a day off

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Colome's Hat said:

It should also be said that Liam looked amazing in the first two pitches to Judge.  Something happened after that wild pitch.  I think he lost confidence in that pitch.  If I have to guess, I don't think pitchers have a lot of confidence throwing to Zach.  He really needs to go once Grandal is healthy.

Liam big mistake was to let Judgebeat him.  Judge has been a one man wrecking crew against the Soxin this series.   Can’t throw him a strike or a fastball.

4 minutes ago, Colome's Hat said:

I agree. I thought we had Judge after getting him to 2 strikes, then the wild pitch happened and Liam couldn't get a slider even close to the plate. He actually threw a really good one to him on the 2nd pitch. 

8 minutes ago, hi8is said:

I’ll have to find you in the video… what were you wearing?

Gray White Sox jersey autographed game worn Roberto Hernandez with a field of dreams t-shirt underneath. Greatful Dead Sox cap. I'm standing just over Gardners left shoulder.

Edited by ptatc