9/3 game thread Sox @ KC *Rain Delay*

southsider2k5

Just now, maxjusttyped said:

I'd keep running Vaughn out there every day, but in the playoffs (as things stand right now) I'd rather see Sheets in the lineup vs RHP than him.

better get Sheets more experience out there before it "matters".  With that said, I think we both know it would be Goodwin instead.

Just now, fathom said:

better get Sheets more experience out there before it "matters".  With that said, I think we both know it would be Goodwin instead.

Maybe pitchers will find a hole on Sheets, but he is so impressive at the plate. Covers pitches high and low. He can handle velocity. It might be Goodwin, but I hope they give Sheets a real opportunity to earn a big role.

6 minutes ago, Colome's Hat said:

Cleveland and Minnesota were very good teams.  And he pitched well against them.  

I'm by no means defending him.  Dude shouldn't be on the postseason roster. But he was also integral in them reaching the playoffs last year and to deny that is just kind of revisionist history.

Both things can be true.  He can have a shitty season this year and also still have pitched really well last year.

7 out of his 11 starts last year we’re against teams who made the post season. 

1 minute ago, jasonxctf said:

7 out of his 11 starts last year we’re against teams who made the post season. 

didn't the postseason illustrate the whole Central sucked?  Anyways, I'm not going to argue Keuchel was bad last year.  He was fantastic, but showed signs of slowing down after the injury.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Colome's Hat said:

Cleveland and Minnesota were very good teams.  And he pitched well against them.  

I'm by no means defending him.  Dude shouldn't be on the postseason roster. But he was also integral in them reaching the playoffs last year and to deny that is just kind of revisionist history.

Both things can be true.  He can have a shitty season this year and also still have pitched really well last year.

I've been consistent all along, called the contract an albatross since I signed up here. He had several good starts against poor teams, its not a "year", it's less than a two month stretch, and then he turned into a pumpkin when they needed him in the playoffs, his last chance at a meaningful game in his career.

If he had a solid legitimate full season, than it would be "revisionist".

• Like 1

1 minute ago, maxjusttyped said:

Maybe I should wait to make sure KC doesn't put up a crooked number in this inning, but I still believe Foster will settle in as a good ML reliever.

it's the curse of last year's relievers.  Very surprised how awful they've been this year (besides Heuer who's apparently fantastic again)

7 minutes ago, SonofaRoache said:

It sucks that we can't seem to generate any sustained momentum. It seems like we just crash every few games. 

Keuchel is our biggest momentum killer.  We will not be able to ever win more than 4 games in a row with him in the rotation.  Soft stuff right down the middle is not going to cut it.

4 minutes ago, shago said:

Dallas decline have anything to do with the fact that he can’t use his Vagisil any longer?

Problem is his command.  Until he can throw strikes more consistently, he's going to just keep getting lit up.

Earlier in the year when he was 6-1 and had a Sub 4 ERA, he was getting ahead of hitters consistently.  How many times have we seen him fall behind in these last 8 starts or even get ahead of a hitter only to just go deep into a count and give up a hit.

image.png

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, fathom said:

it's the curse of last year's relievers.  Very surprised how awful they've been this year (besides Heuer who's apparently fantastic again)

I know you weren't a fan of him this year, but I think the Heuer regression (positively) was obvious if the Sox stayed patient with him. His peripherals remained good and the spotty command/.360 BABIP wasn't going to continue forever.

Maybe the Sox can get him back this winter 🙂

1 minute ago, maxjusttyped said:

I know you weren't a fan of him this year, but I think the Heuer regression (positively) was obvious if the Sox stayed patient with him. His peripherals remained good and the spotty command/.360 BABIP wasn't going to continue forever.

Maybe the Sox can get him back this winter 🙂

I loved him last year but was frustrated this year by him throwing his sinker up in the zone and his slider hanging nearly every time.  Something that I hated the Sox doing was trying to make him a two inning reliever.  His velocity never seemed to recover.

3 minutes ago, joesaiditstrue said:

you pitch Mondesi down/in and up/away, not fucking up/in.

Regardless,  allowing 4 runs after two outs and two strikes on the hitter is unacceptable.  It has happened often this season. Keuchel is wild in the strike zone with crappy stuff.  That is not going to cut it.

1 minute ago, Colome's Hat said:

Problem is his command.  Until he can throw strikes more consistently, he's going to just keep getting lit up.

Earlier in the year when he was 6-1 and had a Sub 4 ERA, he was getting ahead of hitters consistently.  How many times have we seen him fall behind in these last 8 starts or even get ahead of a hitter only to just go deep into a count and give up a hit.

image.png

His cutter has been terrible this year. When he can throw it inside to right handers he's been pretty good. He also hasn't thrown it effectively to lefties at all so he can't get them out like he used to. His slider has also been non-existent so that explains his struggles vs. lefties as well. He had 4 solid pitches last year, this year he has 1 (change up) and the rest have been negative in terms of run value.