The MLB lockout is lifted!

southsider2k5

6 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Lol…wish I would have saw this before I typed up my post.  But seriously, imagine hero worshipping these guys.

Nobody said anything about hero-worshipping...I said it was not relevant.  When people disagree both sides should be free to state their reasons if they choose to do so.  The childish name-calling doesn't make someone right in their view.  I've stated numerous times I don't care who "wins."  I don't really think anyone wins these things.  Every time I defend an owner's point of view I am called a lackey or bootlicker or whatever such drivel.   Ultimately the fans will pay the cost of whatever cash changes hands.  No surprise there.

• Haha 1

In 1994 during the MLB strike I think the MLB owners took out strike insurance and the owners got paid millions of dollars as long as the players were on strike. This is a lockout, not a strike. Still, I wonder if the owners have some type of insurance that pays them money as long as the lockout continues.

13 minutes ago, poppysox said:

Nobody said anything about hero-worshipping...I said it was not relevant.  When people disagree both sides should be free to state their reasons if they choose to do so.  The childish name-calling doesn't make someone right in their view.  I've stated numerous times I don't care who "wins."  I don't really think anyone wins these things.  Every time I defend an owner's point of view I am called a lackey or bootlicker or whatever such drivel.   Ultimately the fans will pay the cost of whatever cash changes hands.  No surprise there.

Poppysox, this is what they do.

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, poppysox said:

You also have stated multiple times that the players should be happy to get what they get, and should be happy to play for pennies, and generally have cheered for the owners side the entire time.  So no, you don't get to talk out of both sides of your mouth and claim to be right. 

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

You also have stated multiple times that the players should be happy to get what they get, and should be happy to pay for pennies, and generally have cheered for the owners side the entire time.  So no, you don't get to talk out of both sides of your mouth and claim to be right. 

"Pay for pennies"...you must be very rich.

4 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

You also have stated multiple times that the players should be happy to get what they get, and should be happy to pay for pennies, and generally have cheered for the owners side the entire time.  So no, you don't get to talk out of both sides of your mouth and claim to be right. 

Why...has a new rule just been passed?  If you want to call defending a position cheering I guess I can't stop you.

22 minutes ago, poppysox said:

My beef is with you referring to the owners as “self made” men when in reality many of them are just the beneficiaries of rich families.  It’s very pro owner rhetoric and along the same lines as you saying the Waltons are beloved for creating hundreds of thousands of low paying jobs.  Let’s try to be objective here and not take clear sides in a fight between millionaires & billionaires for reasons that aren’t true or logical.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Quin said:

So like, shouldn't Poppysox - who wants us to have as few playoff teams as possible (2) - be pulling hard for the players here if this were about substance on the table other than who gets $$$?

But deep down he hates the players that play the game he “loves,” so it’s obviously very complicated for him. 

4 hours ago, Richie said:

Isn't that simply called "negotiating"? I am sort of tired of people acting like there has to be a villain here. Both sides have demands that aren't being met and want as much as they can possibly get. That's how this stuff goes. 

Only one side has locked out the other, and could resume baseball activities while negotiating in good faith.  But here were are on that side’s self imposed deadline day on the precipice of canceling regular season games because one side is still refusing to meet in the middle.  Negotiating is a give and take, and the owners haven't exactly given up anything.  So I think it’s fair to vilify one side when that side is the reason we don’t have baseball right now. 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Also, I think the player’s “ghost win” concept is pretty cool for the expanded playoffs.  Adding a bunch more teams takes away the importance of a 162 regular season, but if winning your division gets you a bye or a free win in a best of five series that would be absolutely huge.  Honestly, the proposal probably helps the White Sox more than any other team in baseball in the short-term and I really hope it happens.

I was trying to glean what this meant from tweets late last night and it sounded gimmicky.  But what you’ve described is much more intriguing.  I do think division winners should be rewarded somehow if the pool expands to 12 or 14. 

27 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

*gasp* I shall clutch my pearls now that I have been called out for a spelling error.

Please give me a moment everyone 

You shuold be emabrrassed.  Even my 5 year old son konws that the word "play" has an L in it. 

This was much wosre than a seplling error.  It was...a TYPO!!  You mihgt as well never psot on these boards agian.

• Like 1

Just now, SoxBlanco said:

You shuold be emabrrassed.  Even my 5 year old son konws that the word "play" has an L in it. 

This was much wosre than a seplling error.  It was...a TYPO!!  You mihgt as well never psot on these boards agian.

I need more time, this is very difficult for me 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Tnetennba said:

Ah, the self made man myth making its way into labour talk.  Funny how claiming self made status always seems to ignore all of the helping hands said persons received along the way.   

Bootstraps!  Pull em up!

• Haha 1

55 minutes ago, Tnetennba said:

Ah, the self made man myth making its way into labour talk.  Funny how claiming self made status always seems to ignore all of the helping hands said persons received along the way.   

I don't know about you, but I tune into games to find out the trial, tribulations, and triumphs of the wonderful owners because we are so lucky to have them in Chicago.  I mean who isn't inspired by the Wirtz inheritance story, or the McCaskey inheritance story. or the RIcketts getting the Cubs bought for them by dear old dad, or Michael and David Reinsdorf who could inherit both the Bulls and Sox any day now.  It inspires me in my daily life.

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

I don't know about you, but I tune into games to find out the trial, tribulations, and triumphs of the wonderful owners because we are so lucky to have them in Chicago.  I mean who isn't inspired by the Wirtz inheritance story, or the McCaskey inheritance story. or the RIcketts getting the Cubs bought for them by dear old dad, or Michael and David Reinsdorf would could inherit both the Bulls and Sox any day now.  It inspires me in my daily life.

Oh yes, such inspirational life stories of silver spoons and birthrights keep me warm on those cold cold nights.  

1 hour ago, Quin said:

So like, shouldn't Poppysox - who wants us to have as few playoff teams as possible (2) - be pulling hard for the players here if this were about substance on the table other than who gets $$$?

What part of don't care who wins did you not understand?

• Like 1