RF vs 2B - Where to Invest?

Chicago White Sox

2 minutes ago, kleedawg said:

no, i don't

Okey dokie - I’ll trust you more than myself. There goes that hairball idea since it would be stupid to try putting Moncada back at second.

Guess we’ll have to trade for Madrigal instead.

41 minutes ago, SCCWS said:

After watching these playoffs, bullpen is also a high priority but does not necessarily require a huge investment.  Maybe trade Kimbrel to a team that needs a closer for a couple of bullpen arms. 

I think there is a great chance Kimbrel ends up being traded to the Phillies.  Dombrowski is obviously very familiar with him and they desperately need some back-end arms.  I could see the Sox getting an arm like Seranthony Dominguez back and perhaps a lower end pitching prospect.

Kyle Seager to 2B is the exact wrong brother, but it would be a typical 2000's to 2016 White Sox mid-season declining "big name" veteran desperation move...not unlike the supposed "big game" pitcher in Shields, 3-5 years after he had already passed his prime with the Royals.

Haniger's still the name with the Mariners, but why spend whatever trade surplus you have when you can simply BUY Conforto...?

Doesn't make much sense, unless they're REALLY being budget conscious.

Edited by caulfield12
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, CentralChamps21 said:

I wouldn't prioritize one position over the other. I prioritize getting  a LH or SH bat that has a high OBP, above average power, and can play his position well.

I mean, out of all free agent options, the closest to filling that description is Conforto.  He should be the #1 target.

14 hours ago, hi8is said:

Here’s a hairball idea that I haven’t seen thrown around yet…

Sign Kyle Segar to play second

Conforto to play right

Decline Kimbrel

Trade Dallas in a salary dump

Outlook:

Starting pitchers

Giolito

Lynn

Cease

Kopech

Rodon ( if QO is accepted )

Lopez / + Depth FA signing

Lineup:

SS - Anderson

RF - Conforto

1B - Abreu

CF - Robert

LF - Eloy

2B - Segar

3B - Moncada

DH - Vaughn / Sheets

I assume Grandal stays catcher? And who would you have as his back up Collins, Zavala or an other.

12 hours ago, CentralChamps21 said:

I wouldn't prioritize one position over the other. I prioritize getting  a LH or SH bat that has a high OBP, above average power, and can play his position well.

Yes, I can’t look at this positionally—in the abstract I would say RF because 2b might be easier to fill, but I’d look at player first.  There’s a pretty big gulf in talent between some of the available names out there.  

1 hour ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I mean, out of all free agent options, the closest to filling that description is Conforto.  He should be the #1 target.

Hopefully no one else has him their #1. I see some Colorado rumors but probably too early for real rumors

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, 35thstreetswarm said:

Would you choose Conforto over Semien or Seager (the good one)?

Seager is the clear #1 FA out of these 3 imo.. But I believe he'd be the most expensive, no? I think Conforto is the most realistic get, and I'd be ecstatic.  If we did actually sign one of them, I believe whoever it is, slots in at #5 in the lineup imo.  Cannot move Robert out of 2, they won't move Abreu out of 3 and Eloy should regain #4 (he's going to be the best hitter on the team).

Edited by Squirmin' for Yermin
  • Like 2

Additional opinion: what is important is not which position they put a big acquisition at, nor does it matter if they make a trade or sign a cheaper vet to fill the other spot, it is instead that the acquisitions not be complete busts. No trades for guys who suddenly look like the Monstars stole their baseball ability, no overpaying grindy veterans who are hurt and off the roster by June, no $15 million a year guys who we are suddenly ranking alongside the worst seasons in baseball history. Just get something out of whatever you spend this time.

24 minutes ago, SCCWS said:

Hopefully no one else has him their #1. I see some Colorado rumors but probably too early for real rumors

Why would you choose Colorado over the White Sox at this point in time.  That org is a dumpster fire right now 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

Sign Schwarber to DH and they can get more athletic and versatile at 2B and RF.  

He will get at least $10-12 if not $13 million, with Rodon and Kimbrel, you might already be blocked from a big move in FA so that means you probably have to trade Vaughn, Sheets and/or Burger to fill RF and 2B.  Then you are starting to look at definite financial issues as the team keeps getting older and more expensive in 2024 and beyond. 

Trading Giolito just creates another hole in the rotation so that’s not a great choice, either.

It’s a lot easier to just go cheaper at DH and platoon there if you have to than it is to find a legit everyday RF.  

16 hours ago, ShoeLessRob said:

Yes 

I don't want Cesar as much as the next guy, but there really aren't many better fits on the FA market once you get past the elite guys the Sox won't be signing.  I like Conforto plus trade route for 2B personally.  But point is, Conforto is the guy you need that solves lots of problems. With him in hand, 2B becomes less critical offensively.  Just get a reliable defender that isn't a black hole in the 9 spot. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, fathom said:

Would make sense if he seeks a short-term deal to try and improve his stock

If the Rockies would want to over pay maybe, but all things being equal I couldn't see how he would choose to go there right now.